House in Blue Hills, St Agnes, Cornwall, England - Perfect Location, 10mins walk from village and beaches, 5 mins from Coastal footpath.
Candlecroft enjoys a privileged position on this stretch of the UNESCO world heritage coastline being one of only three prestigious properties in this locale.
Predominantly clad in beautiful western red cedar Candlecroft is set a few hundred metres from the coastal footpath which leads southwest to the popular surfing beach of Trevaunance Cove with it's renowned 14 century pub The Driftwood Spars.
An equal short distance to the north-east is the quieter Trevellas Porth one of the best snorkelling and coasteering spots on the north coast.
The house consists of a large open plan kitchen dining area with upright piano which opens on to a slate patio outdoor barbecue and eating area via large bi-fold doors. This area has a beautiful floor standing hammock and hammock seat.
We have a downstairs living room which opens through French doors onto our decking with views over the lawn and field and to the Trevellas valley. Outside we have a couple of football goals (our son is a football mad Chelsea fan) and a large trampoline. Up the stairs off the kitchen/dining area we have our main lounge with vaulted ceiling, huge gable window and two balconies with incredible views of St Agnes Beacon, the village and the sea.
There are around half a dozen engine houses visible from this balcony dotted around the village. From the smaller balcony you can see a sweeping panorama from St Agnes Beacon across the gorse and heather to the opposite cliff of Trevellas Porth. Being avid readers we keep a library here with several hundred books of modern fiction, non-fiction,English and American literature and poetry which our guests are welcome to enjoy. A further bookcase with children's books can be found downstairs in the hallway.
A second staircase leads down from the 3 double bedrooms situated off this lounge to the family bathroom and games room. The games room we use for table tennis, pool and as bootcamp gym when we are not outside. Guests are welcome to use all the equipment in here at their own risk.
We are fortunate to be only a short 10 minute walk to the village and the popular Tap House Bar, The Peterville Inn, Aggie Surf Shop. Further up the hill is the excellent Taste restaurant and lively St Agnes Hotel. The Railway Inn at the topof the village has music every Saturday night.
It really is a brilliantly situated and exceptionally presented property enjoying all the serenity of a cliff top setting with the accessibility to surf beaches, pubs, restaurants and delights of a vibrant Cornish village life.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
We are a local family who have grown up and worked in the area for most of our lives. We have two children at schools in the area and love the beauty, ruggedness and general spirit of the place. Myself and my wife have run several local businesses and are currently both self-employed after a busy couple of years renovating Candlecroft.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'Your artwork and decor have fascinated us all and we would definitely love to come again. '
1 holidaymaker review
This was a stunning holiday home very clean, spacious and modern exactly what we were looking for. There was ten of us so the property worked very well especially with the two Lounges. We also had a disabled child and adult with us so the downstairs bedrooms and large bathroom with open shower was perfect . The owners were very accommodating and very helpful with our needs. We were close enough to everything we needed. It was a perfect holiday home . We will be back !!
From the Owner
“After living a few miles in land for a few years and then a few more years living and working in Porthtowan we wanted to move back to St Agnes area. we have friends and family here as well as a connection with the place going back many decades. The vicinity of many great surf beaches, swimming and snorkelling spots as well as a lively social scene made the decision very easy especially when we were lucky enough to find a property such as Candlecroft.”
Activity and Interests
10 min walk/ 5min drive to two local beaches , Trevaunance Cove or Trevellas.
Trevaunance Cove is a great privately owned family beach with surf school, surf club, cafe and restaurant bar Schooners which has great views of the beach. This beach has seasonal RNLI lifeguard cover.
Trevellas, owned by the National Trust has free parking and is great for rock-pooling, snorkelling, swimming and coasteering. There are no facilities here, it is quieter than Trevaunance Cove but no Lifeguards.
Newquay airport is approximately 12miles. Truro Train station is 10miles. IF you are planning on exploring Cornwall a car is a must. If you are content with staying local to the area St Agnes is well served by the local bus service and has a couple of local taxi firms. Carla's cars and St Agnes Taxis
All distances approximate
St Agnes - 1 mile
Perranporth - 4 miles
Porthtowan - 4 miles
Chapel Porth - 2.5miles
St Ives - 20 miles
Truro - 10 miles
Newquay - 12miles
St Agnes has several local pubs, a bakery, two convenience stores, two fantastic restaurants, two hotels and a good live music scene. The Railway Inn has music on Saturday nights, The Tap House has music on Thursdays, Schooners has music Fridays as does The Peterville Inn. The Driftwood Spars has a session on Sunday afternoons and bands on Saturdays. Cashpoints and a Post Office counter can be found in the Nisa in Churchtown. There is a Methodist Chapel, a village Church, and a Catholic Church. A Village museum and several arts and craft shops. Two butchers, two greengrocers, a boots chemist, surgery, bike hire , and various other cafe's dotted around the village. All the beaches around here with the exception of Trevellas have seasonal RNLI lifeguard cover. The best beaches for surf are St Agnes for children and beginners, Intermediates and experts will enjoy Porthtowan and Perranporth, Chapel Porth should be treated with caution and is best left to the most experienced surfers.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Summer Off Peak
1 Jul 2017 - 21 Jul 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
22 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
Booking will require 50% deposit payable by bacs transfer. Full balances payable no later than 8 weeks prior to arrival date. £300 refundable damage deposit required on payment of the balance.
Changeover Day for us is Saturday, arrivals after 1600Hrs and guests must depart by 1000 on day of departure.
50% payable by bank transfer on booking, remainder payable no less than 8 weeks prior to stay. Bookings are not deemed fully confirmed until payment has been received.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“In addition to being a very warm yet spacious feel to the house it is also secluded and feels just far enough from the hustle and bustle of village life to be relaxing yet not isolated. We are within easy walking distance of some great pubs and beaches which in the busy summer season means not having to worry about parking or driving back from a night out. The roads around us are very quiet and safe for the kids and we get to enjoy all round views of the beacon in the distance, the valley and the sea for a good stretch of the horizon.”
- Sports & Activities
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Game Room ...
- Music Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table ...
- Television ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- near the sea
- live theatre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- mountain biking
- surf fishing
- 300 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to master bed WC, basin , large walk in shower. Bedroom 2 En-suite WC, shower, basin, Bedroom 4 en-suite large walk in shower,WC, basin, Main bathroom built in bathroom, large wet room style shower, two basins , WC, WC off utility
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom with balcony and en-suite, Bedroom 2 kids cabin (bed sleeps two), Bedroom 3, kids Cabin bed for 2, Bedroom 4 Double with en-suite, Bedroom 5 Double
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: UPDATE : Candlecroft as advertised sleeps 10 but has the capacity with a double sofa beds and double futon for a further 4. An extra charge will be made by negotiation for the accommodation of extra guests. We are set up primarily for families and do not accept single sex parties. Candlecroft also has a two detached annex's situated on the shared driveway which are occupied all year round. Outside: We have level lawned gardens to the north-east which have football goals and a trampoline. This area also extends out to nearly an acre of field with fantastic valley views and views of the sea from the far end. There are no further properties visible on seaward side of the cliff after Candlecroft. A low-level decked area overlooks this garden which is accessed off the downstairs lounge or the boardwalk from the parking area. There is a clothes line here and outdoor seating. Off the kitchen we have a beautiful slate patio and seating area with several outdoor sofas, floor standing hammock, hammock seat, a brick built barbecue and a couple of sheltered lawned areas and raised beds. We also have a small kids volleyball net here. All the outdoor areas have a combination of solar lighting and fixed lighting to so you enjoy long summer evenings outside. We also have a large iron fire pit in this area. Utility Room: Washing machine , tumble dryer Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Cleaning will be done on changeover day. Guests are ask to vacate by 10am and may check in from 1600hrs on the day of arrival. Linen and house towels are included, beach towels not provided. Bookings for 2 weeks will get one linen change and one clean. Other: Plant/ drying room adjacent to the main bathroom. Games room equipped with table tennis, pool table,various pieces of gym equipment. This room has a double sofa bed.