Cottage in Maentwrog, Nr. Ffestiniog, Snowdonia National Park, North Wales - Surrounded By Nature Reserve And Mountains With Stunning Views
Campbell's Cottage was initially converted from stone barns in the 1960s to provide accommodation for the railway volunteers rebuilding the Ffestiniog Railway. It has been considerably upgraded since then. Trains run the 13 miles between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Porthmadog stopping at Campbell?'s Platform only for visitors of Campbell's Cottage. The platform is named after the eccentric Colonel who restored the medieval manor house (next door) and helped with the nearby section of the railway. Weekly rover tickets, unique to the property, are available at the bargain price of a daily rover ticket bought anywhere else. Campbell's Cottage has a private garden with a series of 5 cascading ponds.
About the Owner
Sue and Huw escaped to the country several years ago and love to share their idyllic mountain retreat with guests.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Campbell’s Platform and the trains are a real treat! My 3 year old son and 40 year old husband were suddenly the same age!"
"Truly one of the best places we have ever stayed in Wales. The location is stunning so good that we were reluctant to go anywhere else during our stay."
“We have seen bats, woodpeckers, nuthatches, and yellowhammers in the garden. Cannot wait to come back!”
From the Owner
“We were bowled over by the rugged beauty of Snowdonia, its rich heritage and friendly people. In a world of 7 billion people it's great to find so much peace and quiet with wildlife on your doorstep; wild goats, badgers, ospreys, otters, weasels and stoats. You never know what you'll see next.”
Activity and Interests
Harlech Beach - 15 mins drive - Spectacular long sandy beach with dunes. It is one of the finest examples of a natural dune system in Britain and has been designated a NNR (National Nature Reserve), SSSI (site of Special Scientific Interest).
Black Rock Sands - 15 mins drive - This magnificent wide expanse of golden sands stretches for over 2 miles and is one of the few locations where you can drive your car onto the beach. Perfect for children.
Some visitors arrive by train. The record from Walthamstow to Campbell's Platform via Euston, Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog is just under 6 hours! It's a 2 hour drive from Manchester airport.
Ffestiniog Steam Railway - 50 metres from door. 2 x village pubs 30 minutes walk away. Porthmadog - 7 miles. Portmeirion - 5 miles. Harlech Castle and beach 8 miles. Indian Restaurant - 5 miles. Shops - 5 miles.
Blaenau Ffestiniog 5 miles away is a hub for adrenalin action with 4 parallel zip wires down the mountain, a world class downhill biking course, Bounce Below (3 giant trampolines in a slate cavern that take a hundred people) and Zip Below (4 zip wires in a slate cavern connected by via ferrata). Coed y Brenin 12 miles away is one of the top mountain biking courses in Europe. Snowdon is 11 miles away as the crow flies. To the bottom of the Watkin Path is about a 30 minute drive. To the Snowdon Mountain Railway is about a 50 minute drive.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
Changeover Day: Friday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
To secure a booking we request a 30% deposit with the 70% balance payable 8 weeks before the start of your holiday. There is no deposit for breakages etc.
Friday is changeover day with arrival after 3pm and departure by 10am.
Notes on prices:
Outside the main season we will consider short breaks.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Arriving and departing by way of your private platform, Campbell's Platform, is a magical moment. The other passengers watch and wonder who these people might be.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bedroom 1 has an en suite shower, sink and WC Bedroom 2 has an en suite bath, shower, sink and WC
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, sink, shower, WC and sliding glass doors leading into the Garden Room. Bedroom 2 with twin beds and bathroom.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Beautiful lovingly maintained cottage garden with 5 cascading ponds. Slate slab patio area with large picnic table. Bird feeder by French windows - perfect for watching the birds from the kitchen table. Utility Room: Iron, ironing board, storage for boots and coats Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are provided - guest should bring their own beach towels. The cottage is cleaned at changeover and fresh linen and towels provided when guests stay for a second week. Other: Garden room with glass ceiling, Portmeirion style windows and fragrant scented plants at different times of year. Perfect for relaxation, reading or painting.