Compound in Chateauneuf de Grasse, Near Valbonne Village, Alpes-Maritime/Cote D'Azur, France - Exceptional privacy, lovely interiors, expansive views
Visit the website at www.masduriou.com.
A true family compound. Through stone pillars and wrought-iron gates, down a long drive lined by cypress and oleander to the stone house with ample parking. The manor house, pigeonnier/pool house and separate guest house are all built of local stone. The large pool is 20 meters in length. At the gate, there is a guardian's cottage and two car garage. There are several large mulberry trees shading sitting/eating areas. The property contains several olive groves, a small vineyard, an orchard with fruit and almond trees, a vegetable garden, the old stone well and the remains of the old chapel/watchtower. The main house dates from 1847, completely renovated in 2010-12. The attached pigeonnier is newly constructed, with two en suite bedrooms, a laundry facility, pool house, toilet and large first floor terrace. The main house has a large salon, a library, guest toilet, a dining room, a kitchen, and a breakfast room in the ground floor. A central staircase leads to the master suite on the first floor, with a bedroom, dressing room/study/bedroom, bathroom and a private east-facing terrace. The second floor has two bedrooms with a connecting bathroom. There are views of the sea from the first and second floors. The main house has three ground floor terraces for eating, reading or napping: two facing south and one facing east. The neighboring guest house is a self-contained three bedroom villa with a small pool on over 2000 square meters of garden. It has its own gated entrance and parking and is separated from the main property by a fence and oleander hedges. There are walkways in the garden constructed in the manner of the old Roman roads of the region. The decor is authentic Provencal with a combination of antiques and high quality reproductions. The expansive property is very gently terraced, but largely flat, which is highly unusual for the region. The property is protected from the roads by cypress hedges and extensive plantings of native vegetation, including jasmines.
About the Owner
About John E Beerbower
I am a retired lawyer, now living in Virginia.
John E Beerbower purchased this chateau / country house in 2006
Why John E Beerbower chose Cannes - Grasse - Antibes
We wanted a property with easy access from London and New York but with the architecture, atmosphere, and character of rural Provence. The Mas du Riou is virtually unique. Proximity to the charming village of Valbonne made it particularly attractive.
From the Owner
“We wanted a property with easy access from London and New York but with the architecture, atmosphere, and character of rural Provence. The Mas du Riou is virtually unique. Proximity to the charming village of Valbonne made it particularly attractive.”
Activity and Interests
The property is located 30-45 minutes from the beaches of Cannes, Antibes and the Esterel. A train from Mouan Sartoux (a 10 minute drive) has regular train service to the beach west of Cannes (and to Cannes and points east or the other direction to Grasse).
The Nice airport is about a 30 minute drive on the A8 toll road. There is long distance train service to and from Cannes and the Cannes rail station also serves Mouan Sartoux, which is a 10 minute drive from the property.
The charming village of Valbonne, with a weekly market and boutiques, is 2 kilometers. Cannes, Grasse, Mougins Biot, the Gorges du Loop and Gourdon are within a half hour drive. Antibes, Nice, Vence, Tourettes sur Loop are between 30 and 45 minutes away. The area is filled with hiking trails and 30 minutes north is mountainous wilderness.
Highest quality linens and towels provided. Fully supplied kitchen. The rental includes daily maid service and cleaning every three days. Additional services--driving, cooking, shopping, personal laundry--can be arranged directly with the resident couple.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please contact owner.
Because there is a resident caretaker and housekeeper, we can be flexible about arrival and departure times and dates.
Notes on prices:
We can accept payment in dollars, pounds sterling or euro.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Air Conditioning
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Outdoor Pool
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Toilet 3 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: 4 of the bedrooms in the main house and pigioniere are up stairs. The large second master bedroom in the pigioniere is on the found floor. The three bedrooms in the guest house are on the ground floor. The two bedrooms on the second floor of the main house are ideal for children. They are large and very light and share a bathroom. There is a double bed in one and two twin beds in the other. Outside: There is ample outdoor furniture: chairs, tables, chaise lounges. The large 20 m pool is 15 meters from the main house and is flanked by a pool house covered terrace, with a toilet room. There is a small dipping pool at the guest house, with chairs, tables and loungers.