Shere, Nr Guildford,Surrey GU5 9QL - Uplifting location 10 minutes walk to idyllic village of Shere.
Tor Hatch is a substantial family home built in the 1930's designed for every room to benefit from the outstanding views. It has been modernised to create a warm and welcome environment, much loved by the owners and extended family. The gardens and grounds are well maintained and a source of enormous pleasure as is the panoramic view. Perfect for family holidays, celebrations and office functions.
Top Traveller Review
You were great guests...... come back whenever you can find an excuse!
Emma and Paul
About the Owner
Tor Hatch is a substantial home which has been in our family for three generations. Set in the Surrey hills, five minutes walk from the idyllic picture postcard village of Shere with stunning views all round it is a delightful place to live. We have 5 grown up children so HOME has been an important hub. With a newly refurbished kitchen with AGA, wood burning stove, Apple TV, Sonos sound system and snug it is more cosy and welcoming than ever.
We both love our grounds, large vegetable garden and rearing free range chickens. Living 50 minutes from London and 45 minutes from Heathrow and Gatwick is a joy. We love entertaining so Tor Hatch is well equipped for dining, barbecues, pool and tennis parties. We would like to travel more and want others to enjoy Tor Hatch in our absence.
5 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
Our immediate family and their partners congregated in the Surrey Hills for a wedding reception and stayed at Tor Hatch. This is an incredible home made for family and grounded in comfort. It combines the feel and look of an old English estate with modern amenities. We swam, played tennis and lounged outdoors wanting nothing more than to enjoy the stunning vistas. The tiny village of Shere is a 10-minute walk away, and Heathrow a 35-minute drive. If I ever want to run away from it all, I'll head to Emma and Paul's restorative spot again and stay for as long as possible!
Perfect Setting for A Fabulous Girly Weekend
Ten of us arrived at Tor Hatch on 9th April for a girly retreat to celebrate my 25th birthday. The village is quaint and perfect, the grounds are picturesque and the property is so so beautiful, luxury and comfortable, the girls loved their bedrooms! I hosted an afternoon tea and a treasure hunt and Emma was so accommodating and flexible. The house was so enjoyable in the spring so we can't wait to experience it in British summertime! Great memories.
We loved to stay in the house, it is so beautiful, cosy, wonderful
atmosphere, the owners are both great!!!
This is really a very special place, you can see that there is someone very creative, who looks for every detail in the house. Food is delicious and you feel always very welcome! Thanks a lot to Emma, who is wonderful!!!!
I think this place is also perfect for filming and taking pictures.
What a beautiful location, home and owners!!!! I arrived to collect the keys, a little early but was greeted by the most welcoming home owners Emma and Paul. Emma kindly showed me everything I needed to know and then was on her way!
The location is set in a stunning little village which was amazing for afternoon walks.
The home itself is so warm and welcoming with the most outstanding gardens with picturesque views, breath taking! I couldn't recommend a better property for a nice chilled get away. Thank you again to such fantastic home owners who made everything so simple and couldn't have been more helpful! Homemade granola and cake waiting for our arrival!!!!
From the Owner
“Paul's parents and grandparents lived in this wonderful location and we were thrilled to take over the property in 2011 and benefit from its brilliant location. We are keen walkers and the Surrey hills extend from our doorstep with miles of rolling countryside. Access to the airports is great and is an easy journey into London by train or car. Guildford is a fantastic city for shopping, restaurants, yoga facilities and nationwide connections. We love living in a quiet spot but with shops and pubs walking distance away. Polo, tennis, racing all nearby. We are in an area of outstanding beauty too. We cannot imagine a more perfect location for living. Our grown up children are regular visitors and in the summer it is a haven where they escape from London for home grown veg, pool and court!”
Activity and Interests
The glorious beach at West Wittering is approx 75 minutes drive away. Wonderful expanse of clean sand close to Chichester Estuary.
Isle of Wight links at Portsmouth are easily accessible - 75 minutes
London Gatwick and Heathrow are both approx 45 minutes on a good run.
Channel Ports are under two hours away.
We are 15 minutes from Junction 13 on the M25
Guildford (15minutes) has regular train services to London, Gatwick and UK stations.
Woking (20 minutes) has regular coach link to Heathrow
5 minutes to Shere
15 minutes to Guildford - cobbled High Street, shopping, cathedral, theatre, restaurants,
55 minutes to London
85 minutes to Chichester - theatre, gallery, cathedral
45 minutes to Midhurst (polo) and Petworth (NT house and park)
20 minutes to Polesdon Lacy ( NT property)
15 minutes to RHS Wisley Gardens
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
6 Sep 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
16 Dec 2016 - 3 Jan 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
Please contact owner - 50% deposit to secure booking. Balance due six weeks prior to booking date.
Notes on prices:
£4,000 - £4,750 per week
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Whilst staying at the property you can tailor make the perfect visit. For keen walkers and cyclists there are endless possibilities- taking in pubs en route! Families with young children will enjoy the garden, pool, baby pool and tennis court. The sunken trampoline is safe and fun. A wander through the fields to Shere is a delight with the reward of quaint village with ice creams, tea shop, 12C church and ducks in the stream to feed. We are well set up for entertaining. Formally in the dining room ( second dishwasher a great help) or weather permitting barbecuing on the lawn with unspoilt views.The pool house is self contained for summer lunches or suppers. Theatre, sight seeing, fine dining, museums and all London has to offer is only 40 minutes by train. Seaside and beach is an hour.”
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- Private Chef
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- winery tours
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Toilet 3 - Toilet
- Bathroom 1 ensuite with bath, shower over, double basins, WC and bidet Bathroom 2 with bath, shower over, basin and WC Separate WC
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Three rooms with superking beds, two with doubles Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with superking bed, Bedroom 2 with superking ( or two singles), Bedroom 3 with kingsize bed, Bedroom 4 with double bed, Bedroom 5 with superking bed
- Golf ...
- 1 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: Tor Hatch has been in our family for three generations, refurbished regularly and is a very welcoming and easily managed home. There are stunning views across the Surrey hills from all rooms. It is a unique place standing alone but with easy access to local shops and pubs.London is 55 minutes, Gatwick and Heathrow 45 minutes. Guildford 15 minutes away has been voted one of UK's best shopping centres. Extensive walking and cycling without getting in a car. Shere is an idyllic village ( frequently used in film sets - The Holiday, Bridget Jones Diary etc) and has historic buildings - 12 Century Church, small museum, tea shops, icecream/sweet shop, gift shop and pretty stream with ducks!Ascot, Goodwood and the South Coast are all easily accessible. In the summer we have a large vegetable garden and free range chickens for guests to enjoy. Outside: Swimming pool with option(at an extra cost) for heating. Pool house with self contained kitchen (cooker, dishwasher, fridge, fully equipped for eating) Changing rooms WC Tennis Court Sunken Trampoline flush with ground level for safety Two acres of cultivated garden. Large flat lawn with stunning views.Swing seat. Outdoor seating for dining for large numbers. Gas Barbecue. Umbrella. Lower garden with pond, fish and fountain. Garden studio space for artistic pursuits. Further swing seat for early evening sundowners Large Vegetable garden, asparagus, soft fruit, salads. Two greenhouses Large field with access through to village/church Utility Room: Washing Machine, tumble dryer, Kitchen maid clothes dryer, further washing up machine, double Belfast sink. All cleaning equipment. Larder storage for fruit and vegetables Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels included. Option for weekly change of linen by weekly cleaner. More cleaning available if required. Other: Summerhouse/artist's studio in grounds Poolhouse equipped with kitchen - cooker,hob, fridge,dishwasher, crockery, cutlery WC and changing rooms