Enchanting villa in Algodonales, near Ronda, Spain - Tranquility Without Being Remote.
A beautiful and imaginatively renovated rural property sits quietly in olive groves, with a spectacular south facing vista. The original, small farmhouse contains a modernised but traditional-feeling kitchen and ensuite bedroom. It has had a large, high vaulted dining/sitting room added. This leads to an outdoor deck overlooking the Grazalema Natural Park and Zahara de la Sierra, spectacular by day and dreamy when lit up at night. On the deck, there is a covered Moroccan-style seating area and dining table, or open space for sun bathing, surrounded by potted lemon, lime and grapefruit trees. Four ensuite rooms and a second kitchen/diner/lounge are sensitively set around a courtyard below the house. It is filled with potted plants, shady seating overhung by vines, and a fountain. The well-equipped second kitchen/diner/lounge is ideal for preparing breakfasts or barbecues in the courtyard. There are sun loungers and comfortable seating. A large, single-room studio with log burner backs onto the courtyard, facing out to fruit trees. This is currently equipped as a yoga/meditation room but has been used for conferences and dining (there are white glass tables and 12 modern chairs available). It has also been used for painting and gardening retreats. It could also be used as a games space. The salt water swimming pool is set into it's own terrace with beautiful views over the hills through mature olive trees and tropical plants. Sun loungers are provided and the trees give shade, when required. There is a shower nestled under a magnificent, ancient olive tree. The property is suitable for health and relaxation, as a quiet retreat, family getaway, and for creative or active holidays. Algodonales is one of the top paragliding centres. You can swim and canoe in the scenic reservoir at the base of Zahara which is only 10 minutes away by car. Walking in the Grazelema National Park is an experience you will never forget. Bird life is plentiful and many varieties can be viewed from the Casa, such as Griffon Vultures and three species of eagle. These birds and many more fly over the house regularly. Owls hunt by the river which borders the property, hooting in the early evening and adding to the atmosphere as you settle for drinks and tapas on the terrace, watching the sun set over the hills and the lights coming on in the white town of Zahara. The landscaped gardens will provide you with pomegranates, figs, lemons, pears, quinces, strawberries and vegetables, depending on the time of year. The acequia (irrigation channel) waters the raised beds in the vegetable garden, which is set amongst one of the two olive groves. The acequia takes water from the river that bounds the property, and is lined with fruit trees. The property is on good mains water and electricity, with broadband connection. There is parking for up to five cars, off the stoned driveway.
Top Traveller Review
Picturesque and peaceful
About the Owner
About Andrew Michie
The owners, Andrew and Claire, moved to Spain from Wales, where they ran a private healthcare clinic, as osteopaths and naturopaths. They intend to provide a quiet retreat and pursue their love of the outdoors.
Andrew Michie purchased this villa in 2014
(2 traveller reviews)
Picturesque and peaceful
We had such a lovely time at Casa Acequia and really enjoyed the 'retreat in the country' experience. The house has everything you need as well as loads of little extras (like the telescope to watch the shooting stars at night and the yoga room to practice yoga and chill out.) The pool provided a welcome break from the midday heat and is set amongst beautiful trees and the rolling hills of Algodonales. The views, day and night really are spectacular! Our dog also loved the space to roam around in the surrounding area of the villa. We also had friends come to stay for a night and they each had their own ensuite bathroom in the 5 extra rooms available next to the villa. We visited Algodonales, Grazelema and Zahara during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the area. A point worth mentioning is that you do need a car to get about here but nothing is too far away should you want to explore or get supplies, the nearest town being only 10 mins via car has all the amenities you need. If you are looking to get away from it all in a little patch of paradise I highly recommend Casa Acequia.
Activity and Interests
One hour and forty five minutes to Estepona, a traditional resort town on the Mediterranean coast, or to Marbella. Two hours to the Atlantic coast and Costa de la Luz.
Malaga airport is a one hour and fifty minute drive, Seville airport one hour.
Algodonales is a five minute drive, Grazelema twenty five minutes, Ronda is thirty five minutes and Jerez one hour.
Most basic facilities, such as supermarkets, cash point, hospital and police are in Algodonales.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
3 Jun 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£433|
50% deposit on booking, remainder in advance. Questions by email.
Saturday is the usual changeover day, with arrival after 3pm and morning departure before 10.00am. This is flexible/negotiable.
Notes on prices:
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- bird watching
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Each room is ensuite, with wet room style shower. The main bathroom has a bidet and washing machine.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The main and only bedroom in the house has a double bed. It has an open fire. The four bedrooms around the courtyard have two single beds each, able to be combined.
- Outside: Entrance is through gates onto a stoned drive with parking for up to five cars (one car port). The main house entrance is a walled garden, surrounded by trellised vines, bordered by planted beds of flowers and herbs, with potted plants, climbing roses, jasmine and bougainvillea. This leads up to the house, with outside deck and covered seating and dining area. Here is arranged with potted citrus trees, and looks out over the swimming pool, olive groves, tree lined valley and long views to the white, hilltop town of Zahara and the mountains in the Natural Park. There is a barbecue and space for sun loungers. The salt water swimming pool is 9m by 3m, with a shallow and deep end, and pool lights. It is bordered at one end by a substantial deck for sun loungers, with shower and options for sun or shade. Along one long side is a rock garden with mature plants, along the other is lined with fig and olive trees, and the deep end looks out over the tree tops. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and towels are provided. The property will be cleaned, linen and towels changed, weekly on a Saturday. Additional cleaning (at extra cost) can be arranged, if needed. Other: The studio is a single room (9m by 3m), used for yoga and meditation. It is amongst fruit trees, with double sliding glass doors opening onto one of the olive groves.