Cottage in L'Egluere, Fontenay-le-Comte, Vendee, Pays de la Loire, France - Situated In A Small Rural Farming Village But Within 5 Minutes Drive To Local Town
An old traditional cottage in the centre of a small farming village, recently renovated to a high standard whilst retaining the original features of the property.
Upstairs the two large double bedrooms will comfortably accommodate up to 5 people. Whilst downstairs the dining kitchen and living room are surprisingly spacious for this type of property.
Features include beamed ceilings present throughout the cottage, a large old stone cooking fireplace now houses a wood burning stove in the kitchen and in the small barn there is an old bread oven.
The sunny graveled courtyard is ideal for alfresco dining whilst the large south facing garden with it's fruit trees and grape vines is the place for relaxing in the hot tub with a glass of wine (or two!).
The quite lanes around the village are ideal for cycling or walking and, for the fisherman, there are many rivers and lakes within a short traveling distance. The cottage is the ideal base for touring the many attractions of the Vendee and Charente regions. Locally, the pretty village of Vouvant, the forest and lake of Mervent and the Renaissance town of Fontenay-le-Comte are only a very short drive away.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
My wife and I live and work in North Yorkshire. We are both in our very early 60's. We have two children and four grandchildren.
We bought the cottage as a 'renovation project' and have spent the last 10 years of our 'holidays' doing just that!
We have made many friends in the village over the years and always look forward to returning each year and meeting them again.
2 holidaymaker reviews
We arrived to find a lovely cottage, in a friendly enclave of properties. Everything was as described, only more so, as Paul had undersold his refurbishment prowess, the fixtures and finish were top notch. We were greeted by friendly neighbours, who on passing, helpfully suggested the best local supermarket. The location is ideal, nicely rural, with amenities only 5 mins by car, and larger towns only 25 mins. Having stocked up on provisions, we chilled in the garden, lapping up the 32 degree heat, with occasional dips in the hot tub, (set on a low heat). There are wonderful inland lake beaches within 15-20 mins, or the sweeping coastline in about an hour. Locally you'll find some of France's prettiest villages, and the ample guide books in the house are worth a read. Overall, a wonderfully relaxing and comfortable cottage, in a lovely region.
Wonderful, home from home!
This beautifully restored cottage is a perfect place to stay within easy reach of local attractions and towns. Near to Fontenay le Compte and about an hour from La Rochelle, we had fun exploring surrounding areas and feeling like 'locals'! The cottage is equipped with everything you need,with friendly helpful neighbours. Short distance to the local town with all ammenities. I would highly recommend to friends and family- or may just keep it to ourselves to enjoy again in the future! Thank you Paul and Linda for sharing your lovely cottage.
Best wishes, Annie and Paula (also Millie and Twix the two terriers)
From the Owner
“We wanted a renovation project in a rural area but also close to amenities and attractions. After looking at a number of properties we saw this one and, despite the state it was in, we fell in love with it straight away. The cottage is located in a small farming village with just over 60 inhabitants. Despite being in a rural location it still is close to towns, attractions and motorways.”
Activity and Interests
The beautiful, long, golden sandy beaches of La Faute, La Tranche and Les Conches are all around an hours drive away. The famous port of La Rochelle is around 75 minutes drive and Les Sables d'Olonne is around 90 minutes.
Use of a car is essential as the nearest airports of La Rochelle, Nantes or Poitiers are all just over an hours drive away.
The nearest ferry port is St Malo at around 4 hours drive or Caen at around 5 hours. Calais is around 7 hours.
The cottage is only 5 minutes drive away from the town of La Chataignarie whilst less than 10 minutes drive away is the village of Vouvant (reputed to be one of the prettiest villages in France) . The forest and lake of Mervent with its fantastic cycling and walking trails is less than 15 minutes drive. The Renaissance town of Fontenay-le-Comte is around 20 minutes. The Puy du Fou is 40 minutes, Futurescope is around 90 minutes and the beaches of La Tranche and La Conche are around 60 minutes.
The nearest town of La Chataigneraie has 3 good supermarkets, a good selection of shops, banks and restaurants. It also has a superb open air swimming pool and a very helpful tourist information centre.
If you don't want to drive into the town a cycle track along an old railway line close to L'Egluere leads directly into the town and brings you out near the supermarkets.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
24 Dec 2016 - 29 Apr 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
30 Apr 2017 - 24 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
25 Jun 2017 - 15 Jul 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A 25% non refundable deposit is required at the time of booking to secure your reservation.
The remaining 75% is to be paid 4 weeks prior to the start date of your holiday.
If booking less than 6 weeks before the start of your holiday, then payment in full will be required.
Changeover day is Saturday, although this can be flexible during non peak times. Please vacate the property before 10.30am.
Notes on prices:
Prices are quoted in sterling and are per week. Payment can be made by direct bank transfer or cheque in either sterling or Euros.
NOTES ON 'SERVICE' CHARGE
This 'fee' has been added and taken by Owners Direct. Not content with taking a fee from ourselves they now are targeting the booking guest. Whilst they claim this fee is to be used to improve their service I believe it is just simply profiteering.
As a result I will not be using this company again once my contract ends.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The peace and quite of the area makes the stress of working life just melt away.(after a couple of glasses of the local wine it's gone completely!) Surrounded by the 'Bocage',rolling hills and small valleys it is crossed with quite country lanes which make it perfect for walkers or cyclists.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- wheelchair inaccessible
- theme parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- En-suite bathroom off bedroom 1 with wc, bath, hand basin and shower cubicle. Family bathroom with wc, bath and hand basin
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 5 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with en-suite bathroom with exposed beams to ceiling. king size double bed, Fitted wardrobe, chest of drawers and two bedside cabinets. Bedroom 2 with exposed beams. Double bed, Fold away guest bed, chest of drawers and two bedside cabinets.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- 4 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: The cottage is ideal for couples or families who want the peace and quite of a rural retreat but also like easy access to local attractions and beaches. Bicycles and fishing gear are available for guest use, but please leave in good condition for next visitors. We do not smoke and would appreciate guests to refrain from smoking indoors. Outside: The cottage has a sunny courtyard and a large lawned garden with fruit trees and grape vines. A 4 person hot tub/Jacuzzi is situated in the garden for guests use. There is a patio table with four chairs, small barbecue, deck chairs and loungers. There are 4 adult size bicycles in the outbuilding for use by guests. There is also a small selection of fishing gear, again for guest use. However, please replace any consumables you use (hooks, shot etc.). These are all available at the local Super U supermarket along with bait. Utility Room: Combination washing machine/dryer, hot water tank, mop and bucket, sweeping brushes, fishing equipment, garden chairs and loungers. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Duvets and pillows are supplied, however, guests must provide their own bed linen, towels and beach towels. Please, on vacating, leave the cottage clean and tidy ready for the next guests as we do not have a cleaner. Other: Small barn/outbuilding outside with original traditional bread oven. Contains bicycles, garden table and chairs, small barbecue, lawn mower, firewood