Cottage in Culrain, Nr. Ardgay, Scottish Highlands, Scotland - Tranquil Location Ideally Situated For Exploring The Magical Wilderness Of Sutherland
The Gatehouse is in a peaceful location amongst the trees with views across to the hills beyond the Kyle of Sutherland. The accommodation consists of a cosy sitting room, with a beautiful open fire; a spacious dining room that comfortably seats six; a fully fitted kitchen together with drying room, utility room, shower and a separate toilet on the ground floor. Upstairs are two spacious bedrooms and a bathroom. Amenities include television and DVD player, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer and electric heating in every room.
Top Traveller Review
wonderfull autentic cottage!
About the Owner
(2 traveller reviews)
wonderfull autentic cottage!
Beautiful authentic cottage on a quiet unique place in beautiful wooded surroundings. Reasonably complete furnishings. no internet(but almost no where in Scotland), also no tv antenna, but dvd player so on rainy moments did look at. The wi-fi and tv not missed.; Wonderful quiet. We certainly hope to come back again!
Agréable à vivre
Location dans l'ensemble plaisante , calme dans un très joli environnement mais surpris de son isolement par rapport au premier village
la localisation de la maison est assez compliquée à trouver la première fois , et surtout la clé de la porte , il faudrait plus de précision pour la découvrir
Concernant l’intérieure la literie est excellente et les appareils ménagers complets
Salle de bains ,toilettes : Dans la salle des toilettes du bas une prise électrique serait très utile ( rasage , seche cheveux )
Dans celle du haut le réglage de la douche est pratiquement impossible à obtenir
mais nous avons passé un superbe séjour
Activity and Interests
Only 54 minutes away is the clean Embo Beach in Dornoch, which is on the East coast of the Scottish Highlands. There is also a large selection of beautiful coast along the West such as Scourie and Lochinver which are also about 50 minutes away. Also on the way to the West Coast you can drive past the beautiful and serene Loch Assynt with its eerie and ghostly history. There is also the Old Man of Stoer which is 1:10 hours drive and offers a spectacular walk on the cliffs overlooking the sea.
Strathkyle Gatehouse is 1 hour 15 mins (52 miles) from Inverness airport, one hour from Inverness town centre and 4.3 miles from Culrain train station. Car use is essential.
Strathkyle Gatehouse is situated 7.6 miles from Ardgay, 4.3 miles from Culrain, 9 miles from Bonar Bridge, 13.6 miles from Lairg, 23 miles from Tain, 45 miles from Ullapool and 43 miles from Inverness.
For a small, quick nearby shop there is a newsagent called Invercassley Stores in Rosehall on the way to the Achness Hotel. The Achness Hotel also has a very nice bar and offers a surprisingly good pub meal. There is a small Spar store and butcher in Bonar Bridge which is 9 miles away, as well as the excellent and highly rated Crannag Bistro for an excellent meal. For big supermarkets and petrol there is an Asda and a Tesco in Tain, which is 35 minutes away.
There is a Bank of Scotland in Bonar Bridge.
In Dornoch, Lairg and East Sutherland there is a large selection of walks to suit every ability. On the west coast there are also lots of stunning coastal walks. In Durness and North Sutherland there is a large selection of much more challenging walks.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
17 Jun 2017 - 16 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Saturday during peak seasons. However, during low season we are more flexible.
Notes on prices: Please see listed rates
There is no TV or Wifi however there is a DVD player and screen and there is limited 3G coverage.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Video Library ...
- autumn foliage
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- The upstairs bathroom provides an ensuite to both bedrooms and has a bath with taps and a shower hose, basin and toilet. On the ground floor there is a separate WC and a separate shower in the utility room.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The ground floor bedroom has a king bed. Upstairs, there two further spacious double bedrooms, 1 double and 1 twin. Both bedrooms have a raised, cushioned lounger providing the perfect wild life lookout point!
- Golf ...
- Max. occupancy: 6
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- children welcome
- Notes on accommodation: Heating is via night storage heaters with top up electric heaters in some rooms. With the night storage heaters it is warm and cosy all day and there is the fireplace for extra comfort in the lounge. Outside: The Gatehouse is nestled into the woodland on the SW side with an open grass area to the rear of the house. The single track road to the front of the house makes access easy but has little usage so does not distract from the tranquillity. A short walk away is the beautiful Strathkyle loch. For a more strenuous walk to the rear of the house follow the road a few 100mts to the left when the woods open turn left and start climbing!! Great views in all directions from the 360m hill tops. Utility Room: The utility room is equipped with a washing machine, dryer, small chest freezer, large butler's sink and a shower. There is also a separate boot room/drying room. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All towels and bed linens are included. The Gatehouse is cleaned on a weekly basis and linens are changed on a weekly basis. Other: There is a stocked log shed adjacent to the gatehouse for easy access.