Farmhouse in Saint-Michel-de-Montaigne, Bergerac, Aquitaine / Dordgone, France - Peaceful Location, 4 Km From Village
This spacious farmhouse, situated down a long drive, stands in 100ha (250 acres) within the estate of the ancestral home of the French 16th Century essayist, Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592), famous for the (surviving) tower where he had his famous bibliothèque or library, and was in the ownership of his sister. Bathed in peace and privacy, this comfortable property is nevertheless within 4km of shops and is within a short driving distance (shops, restaurants etc) of Castillon la Bataille and Sainte Foy la Grande, the scene of famous Anglo-French confrontations in centuries gone by, and famed today for their production of wine (and prunes!). With ample seating for meals and relaxation, and a large well-equipped kitchen, the house also has 6-7 bedrooms, sleeping 8-10, and 4 bathrooms (3 baths, 1 shower, 4 WCs). It opens to the south and east to a spacious covered auvent or patio shelter, altogether 85m² (280ft²) overlooking the very large well-kept lawn, and woods beyond, and quite perfect for long drawn-out dining by day and by evening. To the north and west are two small walled gardens and a very large pool (15m x 4m, depth 80cm-1m50), set in a stone-paved patio. Several hundred yards away to the south-west lies a small lake, surrounded by thick woods and shrubbery, whose difficult access can be blocked, if desired.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
Bergerac and Bordeaux airports are at 35km distance.
Castillon la Bataille is at 8km and there is an annual spectacular son-et-lumière re-enactment of the Battle of Castillon which concluded the Hundred Years’ War in 1453.
Also, wonderful travelling medieval fete in Monflanquin (1hr 20mins).
The old town of Bergerac, 45km to the east is very pretty and well worth a visit.
Many important vineyards and prune orchards are within a short drive of the property.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service:
Linen (bed linen and house towels) and maid service on request. Please bring your own swimming towels.
Please note that all bookings and contracts for this property are handled by Martin Sturge of Holiday in France in Bath, who has had over 35 years experience in letting houses in France.
Changeover Day is normally on a Saturday, but other days and durations possible outside high season and by negotiation. Rentals normally run from 6pm on day of arrival, vacating normally by 10am on day of departure.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom D with Basin, WC & Bath Bathroom H, with Basin, WC & Bath Bathroom O, with Basin WC & Shower Bathroom R, with Basin, WC and Bath
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom A with twin beds Bedroom B with twin beds Bedroom C with double bed Bedroom M with double bed Bedroom N (‘through’ bedroom) with twin beds Bedroom Q with double bed
- Golf ...
- Outside: Extensive grounds of 250 acres, including two terraced hedged/walled and lawned gardens, large 15 x 4m pool with pool furniture, large outside covered and paved ‘auvent’ sitting/dining area (15 x 5m), outdoor furniture and two barbecues. Important Note: Very sorry, but the owner cannot accept children who do not know how to swim.