Holiday Home in Swanage, Dorset, England - Beautiful location on jurassic coast, near national trust and renowned beaches/cliffs.
The converted stone barn was previously part of California Farm (named over a hundred years ago), it was used as a shelter for sheep from the farm and quarry ponies from the local stone industry. Purbeck marble and limestone was used throughout England in major buildings and the industry is still important.
The barn was converted and extended in 2002 and the current owner has lived on site since 2003 and completed the work required for its conversion for holiday accommodation and as studio space for workshops, events and functions. The owner acquired a license for wedding ceremonies in 2014 and has completed the refurbishment of gardens and the building of a wedding summerhouse, available for guests use. A further wedding venue is planned in the fields to accommodate future ceremonies.
The barn has a large open plan living area and kitchen ideal for large family parties, stag and hen parties. The adjacent large studio room can be used as an additional living room or for parties, presentations, talks, exhibitions and workshops. Both living areas have direct access to the garden and patios /decks. There are views to the sea from the studio decking and the gardens and views across the high species meadows grazed by the owners horses.
The award winning Durlston Country park adjoins the farm and there is direct access to the cliffs of the Unesco world heritage Jurassic Coast.
Popular family seaside town Swanage is just down the hill and has sandy beaches, shops, cafes, pubs, Steam railway which runs to Corfe Castle. Famous Studlan beach with its 3 miles of sandy beach, sand dunes and valuable wildlife habitats is 5 miles away. Bovington Tank museum, Monkey World and Lulworth Cove and Durdle Dor are within easy reach. poole harbour and Brownsea Island also easily accessible. Should you need a busier town, then Bournemouth and Poole are about 10 miles away accessed by the Sandbanks ferry.
The area is renowned for its beautiful landscape, archaeology, wildlife and birdlife with many National Trust sites, RSPB reserves and wildlife trust sites.
Watersports are an important part of the local tourist industry with diving, kayaking, seafishing, coasteering, rib rides and sailing all accessible to visitors.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
The owner has contact with various activity organisers that can provide activities for guests by prior arrangement. Details of artists, walkers, guides, watersports, cookery classes, stone carvers, historians, diving, fishing, etc can be made available if required. The property has been used for a wide range of activity holidays either organised by the owner or by guests themselves.
Swanage with its blue flag sandy beach is 1 mile away. Studlands long sandy beach is 5 miles away, kimmeridge cove with its cliffs, fossils and visitor centre is about 10 miles away. lulworth is 15 miles away. The Unesco world heritage Jurassic coast and the South west coast path is only a couple of fields away. Durlston Country park and award winning visitor centre is a mile walk or 3 miles drive.
Poole harbour with its rich wildlife, marshes and brownsea Island is 8 miles away.
California Barn can be accessed by car from the closest airport Bournemouth 20 miles away, channel port of Poole 15 miles away and Weymouth 25 miles away.
The nearest train station is wareham (waterloo-weymouth line) 10 miles away and national express coaches arrive and leave from Swanage town centre 1 mile away. Taxis are available from a number of locations to the barn. Buses stop some distance from the barn half a mile away at the bottom of a steep hill.
The owner can collect guests.
swanage town centre with its services and facilities, beach, steam railway, is 1 mile away. Small supermarket, pub and restaurant half mile.
Studland village and beach 5 miles.
Bournemouth 15 miles away.
Corfe castle 7 miles, monkey world 15 miles, Tank Museum 15 miles away steam railway 1 mile.
Square and Compass pub worth Matravers 5 miles.
Cinemas 1 mile, 8 miles and 12 miles. Theatre 1 mile, 12 miles and 15 miles.
The barn although in a rural location has easy access to shops, banks, cafes, bars, pubs, beaches, and essential services including doctors, minor A and E, chemists, garages and fuel stations.
The area is renowned for outdoor activities and watersports. Many companies are available for guests to partake in activities such as coasteering, fishing, diving, kayaking. There are many national Trust properties and wildlife/bird reserves.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
Booking is confirmed by payment of a deposit of a half of the total for short breaks, with the balance due 4 weeks before arrival. For full weeks, a deposit of a third is payable with the balance due 6 weeks before arrival. When the deposit is received the property is removed from the availability listings. It will remain available for other enquiries/bookings until the deposit is received.
All bookings must be confirmed in writing or by email to the owner. Payment Paypal, cheque or transfer.
Full weeks and school holidays changeover day is friday.
the owner will consider other changeover days for full weeks ie for weddings, but there could be extra cost.
There is a minimum booking of 2 days to a week depending on season.
Notes on prices:
Fees for the coming year being done. Weekends(fri, sat, sun,) will be £975 for 2 nights £1250 for 3 nights. Fees for weddings by arrangement.
Minimum booking of a week fri to fri during school holidays. Other times minimum booking 2-3 nights depending on season.
Weekdays (mon, tues, wed, thurs) are £200-£250 a night minimum booking of 2 nights. With a third or 4 night reduced to £100 to £150 a night.
Reduced rates for smaller groups/late availability. Please contact owner for offers.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite bathroom with bedroom 1 in. Bath and wc. Bathroom 2 inc roll top bath, wc. Bathroom 3 on groundfloor is a wetroom inc. threshhold free shower, wc Bathroom 4 on groundfloor of studio wing inc shower and wc.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 17
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 13 in permanent beds, 17 including fold ups Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1. double bed and 2 singles. Room for 1-2 guest beds Bedroom 2. double bed and 1 single bed with room for 2 guest beds Bed 3. downstairs bedroom with 2 single beds. Bedroom 4 mezzanine floor in the studio with double bed and 2 single beds
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The accommodation is very adapatable for different groups/users. It has hosted a wide variety of events, functions, parties, weddings as well as family holidays, friends groups, corporate events and wellbeing retreats. Outside: The barn has 2 gardens. The main garden is directly accessible from the barn lounge and the studio living area/functions room. The main garden faces south and overlooks meadows. Laid to lawn with a childrens play area and large stone patio and pergola, it is large enough to accommodate marquees for parties and weddings. The garden is registered for wedding ceremonies. There are electric sockets for external needs during functions. an adjacent Japanese style garden with seating for quieter moments. The decked area of the studio overlooks the japanese garden which is bounded on one side by a natural copse. The owners cottage garden can be hired for wedding ceremonies or other activities such as artworkshops, tea parties etc and overlooks the sea and has wide views across to the Isle of wight. There is parking for up to 7 cars and further parking for specific events in adjacent fields. The gardens have direct access to footpaths to the cliffs and durlston Country park and castle. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are not included in the fees. Duvets and pillows are provided. Linen and towels can be provided at extra cost by prior arrangement with the owner/manager. At least 2 weeks notice is required. The property is cleaned prior to arrival. Other: Dining area of barn has large table which when extended with kitchen table can seat 8 -12. adjacent breakfast and small dining table, sideboard and crockery cupboard. Small table and chairs for toddlers and children.