Sleeping up to 48 guests (incl. Wing House), set in 20 acres of tranquil gardens
Nestled down a quiet lane in the beautiful North Norfolk countryside, just 25 minutes drive from unspoiled wide sandy beaches that run for miles, is Gunthorpe Hall. A Victorian/Georgian Hall sympathetically restored as a private home, providing comfort and quirky surroundings whilst retaining the original charm of the property.
Only a few hours drive from London, Gunthorpe Hall comprises 12 bedrooms (sleeping up to 37), with an additional 4 bedrooms (sleeping up to 11) offered in Wing House if taken, accommodating up to a total of 48 guests family style (no bunk beds or dormitories) where both friends and family can enjoy quality weekends together under one roof.
We welcome groups to celebrate birthdays, family re-unions, corporate and team building events, weddings or friends just looking to spend quality time together.
Our large dining room can seat up to 68 for a formal celebratory dinner, or more buffet style. Curl up by our log fires with a cup of tea, take a stroll through beautiful formal gardens, parkland and private lake, or get active with a game of croquet or badminton; Gunthorpe Hall is the perfect country getaway at any time of year.
Gunthorpe Hall, in part designed by Sir John Soane, has been restored as a private home. Entry is through the large entrance hall and into the expansive Oak Hall. With fine carved oak staircase and wood burning stove, it hosts a grand piano and a good stereo system with speakers throughout the ground floor family rooms. Off the Oak Hall lies the drawing room with access to the formal gardens, and also the billiard room with a ‘nearly’ full size snooker table.
The grounds offer a unique opportunity for you to host on-site games such as clay pigeon shooting, archery and treasure hunts, or other games can be arranged. There are numerous locations for drinks, picnics and barbecues during your stay.
Our large Victorian walled vegetable garden, along with our own flock of sheep, chickens and ducks, inspire the delicious meals prepared by the Gunthorpe Team. We can fully cater for your stay, provide a special dinner for you and your guests to relax and be waited on, or you can entirely self-cater.
We are ideally located to access and explore the fantastic beaches (Wells, Holkham, Sheringham etc..), quaint marketing towns and endless attractions of North Norfolk. There is always something to do in North Norfolk. The Crawfish pub serving Thai food and local ale is only a mile away, and a larger gastro pub The Kings Head is 5 miles away that can accommodate much larger groups for meals.
Other things to do locally include Hot Air Ballooning, Bird Watching, Sailing, Seal Trips, Cycling, Fishing, Amazona Zoo, Swimming, Wroxham Barns, Pensthorpe Natural Park, Dinosaur Adventure, Horse Racing, Bewilderwood, Golf, Horse Riding, Steam Trains, Tank Driving, Davenport's Magic Kingdom, Hilltop Outdoor Centre, Blickling, Felbrigg and Holkham Hall and there is of course lots of shopping!
The Thursford Christmas Spectacular is only 5 minutes away and an absolute must see. During winter months, we are able to offer a couple of rooms on a Bed & Breakfast basis for those attending the Christmas show.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
We had a wedding weekend at Gunthorpe Hall in June 2014. It is a truly fantastic venue for friends and family to come together and celebrate such a special occasion. The team at Gunthorpe Hall are incredible, we can't speak highly enough of them. There was very good communication throughout the process of organising our event and everyone involved was just so accommodating on the actual weekend too, as we had to deal with some inclement weather! Gunthorpe and its surroundings are very well looked after and everything is gorgeous. It was just superb to be able to call it our home for a short time as we have so many wonderful memories. It's a very unique location and lends itself easily for any kind of celebration or weekend away. If you manage to secure it for your event you will not regret it. We hope to be able to visit again and again!
1 holidaymaker review
Perfect from start to finish, excellent hosts, great support and amazing accommodation and grounds. Food was delicious and we had a really memorable weekend. Thank you Gunthorpe Hall. Hoping to find an excuse to return!
Activity and Interests
Gunthorpe Hall is located in the picturesque North Norfolk countryside within 10 mins drive of the sea at Blakeney, a mere 25 mins from the picturesque beaches of Holkham and Wells, and only 25-30 mins from the popular seaside towns of Sheringham and Cromer. There is a pebble beach at both Weybourne and Salthouse for those not keen on getting sandy toes.
The nearest airports are Norwich, Luton and Stansted. The nearest and most convenient train stations if travelling from London are Kings Lynn and Norwich.
The popular historic market town of Holt is close by and offers a wealth of bespoke shops, quality pubs and hotels, eateries and a small theatre.
Fakenham is only a short drive and offers a racecourse, shopping, restaurants, pubs and a small cinema.
Both Pensthorpe Nature Park and Walsingham Abbey are a 10 min drive away, and we are only a 5 min drive from the spectacular Thursford Christmas Spectacular - we seasonally offer B&B for those wishing to visit the unmissable show.
There are a number of supermarkets that deliver to Gunthorpe Hall, including Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury's. You are within a 10 minute drive of Tesco, Morrison's and Budgens. There are a number of wonderful local deli/farm shops including 'Back to the Garden', 'Walsingham Farm Shop' and 'Bakers and Larners' of Holt. The Salthouse Dun Cow pub comes highly recommended for lunch or dinner, and also are dog friendly.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
To secure a booking, we require a signed booking form along with a £1000 deposit. The remaining rental balance is due one month before the start of your stay, along with 80% of any linen, catering and services we are providing you. The remaining rental balance and fuel charge are payable within one month of departure.
Our typical weekend hire runs from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning, more or less days can be catered for upon request.
Notes on prices:
Our typical weekend runs from 3pm Friday to 11am on Sunday. The price for weekend hire (not weekly hire) of Gunthorpe Hall varies by time of year, number of guests, type of hire (i.e. family get-together vs Wedding) etc. Oil and electricity is metered during your stay and charged post departure, we provide a fuel estimate for the time of year and duration of your stay for budgeting. Coal and logs for the open fires are included in the rental cost. Towels are available at a cost of £4 per guest.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Pool Table
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub
- Events Allowed
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- Confessional Bathroom - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- Grey Bathroom - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Boot Room Toilet - Toilet
- Swift En suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Austin En suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- Georgian Flat Bathroom - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Wing House Downstairs - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Wing House Upstairs - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- Wing House Toilet Downstairs - Toilet
- Wing House Toilet Upstairs - Toilet
- Shower Room - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- We have 2 en-suite bathrooms and 4 independent bathrooms within the Hall. If taken, Wing House has 2 bathrooms, and 2 additional separate toilets.
- 16 Bedrooms, Sleeps 37
- Faits - 1 Large Double Bed
- Kertmegi - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Single Bed
- Hancock - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed
- Hardingham - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed
- Maclaren - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, This room can be 3 single beds or 1 double and 1 single
- Gladstone - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, This platform room can be 1 double or 2 singles
- Wing House - Double - 1 Double Bed
- Wing House - Triple - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, Can be 1 x double and 1 x single, or 2 x singles
- Wing House - 'Sitting Room' - 1 Large Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, Can be 1 x double and 2 x singles OR 4 x singles
- Wing House - Double Upstairs - 1 Double Bed
- Robinson - 1 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed
- Ditchburn - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed
- Lows - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed
- Carter - 2 Single Bed
- Swift - 1 Large Double Bed, 3 Single Bed, This room can be 5 x singles OR 1 x double and 3 x singles
- Austin - 1 Large Double Bed, 2 Single Bed
- Gunthorpe Hall sleeps up to 37 guests in 12 bedrooms. Wing House (if hired) sleeps up to 11 guests in 4 bedrooms. The maximum total sleeping capacity of the Hall and Wing House is 48.
- Golf ...
- Barbecue ...
- Booking Possible
- Booking Possible
- Booking Possible
- Catering available
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: A full sleeping plan of all bedrooms is available on the 'Contact Us' page of our website. We have 16 bedrooms in total, with rooms sleeping from 2 to 5 people family style. A template can be provided for ease of working out your sleeping configuration. Outside: We have a large beautiful landscaped garden with both croquet and badminton to play as well as a football lawn and peaceful fishing lake available for your exclusive use during your stay. There is a large BBQ available for cooking which we provide logs and kindling for. Utility Room: The Hall utility room has a large wine fridge, small chest freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. Wing House has a dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: We provide the linen in the Hall at a cost of £14 per head. Towels are £4 per head and are optional - you can choose to bring your own.We ensure there are 3 toilet rolls, along with fresh bath mats and hand towels in all bathrooms on arrival. Other: We have a large dining room that can be configured in a number of ways to seat from 24 up to a maximum of 68 for a formal setting.