House in Treignac, Correze, Limousin, France - Quiet Location, 5 Minutes Walk From Town Centre
You only need to walk out of the front door and follow the path along the river to find yourself in an area of outstanding natural beauty. In the Summer the front and back terraced gardens provide a fabulous place in which to have a barbecue or just sit and enjoy the breathtaking views of the river and town with a glass of wine. And in the Winter months the central heating throughout the house, an open fire in the lounge and British freeview TV, will keep you feeling cosy and entertained. The main living area of the house is on two levels with spacious rooms, providing an elegant, comfortable home away from home. It has been tastefully modernised but retains its character with some of its original beams still exposed, and oak flooring throughout most of the house.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Tim has lived in France for the last 9 years and I came to join him here 16 months ago after 14 years teaching in Venezuela. Tim is a horticulturalist and we both love the self sufficient life we have made for ourselves at our old farmhouse in Brudieux (not far from Treignac). We are also great animal lovers and enjoy seeing our dog and four cats, rescued from the streets of Venezuela, happy and secure in their new country home. The outstanding natural beauty of the Limousin countryside has provided me with lots of inspiration and subject matter for my painting hobby, and we both regularly enjoy our nature walks together along the forest tracks near our home.
1 holidaymaker review
We enjoyed our stay in this wonderful house in such an idyllic setting overlooking the river, bridge and town beyond. The traditional feel to the house with its period features makes for a truly relaxing stay. Lovely to wake up to the sounds of the river. There is so much to see in the area and to appreciate it all you need a car, but the town on its own is a joy to amble through. Has a good selection of shops cafes and banks and a great panoramic view from the tower. Cant wait to return.
From the Owner
“In March this year our friend came to visit us and do a bit of property hunting at the same time. After a week of visiting many houses we were shown the house at Treignac. We fell in love with it straight away. We could not be dragged away from the incredible view! By July the house was ours and we began work to modernise the place so that hopefully many other people will be able to enjoy it as our guests. In that time we have also come to love the little town of Treignac. Its' many cobbled streets and old stone houses can make you feel as if you have been transported back in time by a few hundred years. In high season it is a busy, lively little village and yet it is surrounded by beautiful unspoilt countryside where you can soon feel you are far away from civilization.”
Activity and Interests
The lake beach is 4 km away. There is a designated swimming area which is watched over by lifeguards during the Summer. Canoes, kayaks and other small boats can be hired there, and there are other activities such as trampolening, crazy golf, table tennis and volley ball available in the holiday season. The outdoor restaurant and bar on the beach are popular and serve good food. There are also shaded picnic areas on the banks of the lake.
There are regular flights from Stansted and Southampton to Limoges and it is just over an hours drive from limoges airport to the house. Take the A20 from Limoges and exit the motorway at junction 43 signed to Chamberet and Treignac.
It is about 7 hours drive from the port of Calais to the house on the A20.
It is essential to have a car in order to enjoy the area properly. Cars can be hired at Limoges airport.
Treignac town centre is a short walk from the house.
Limoges is the historic capital of the Limousin and is famous for its fine porcelain. (just over an hours drive)
Other beautiful towns of historic interest within an hours drive are Uzerch, Turenne, Collenges le rouges, and Montignac, where the ancient Lascaux cave paintings can been visited.
The Monedieres are a local mountain range surrounding Treignac where para-gliding is organised and available for those with a good head for heights!
Treignac is situated in the vast Limousin forest and there are many beautiful rivers and lakes nearby (including Lac de Vassiviere - 40 minutes drive away - the largest man-made lake in France), giving fantastic opportunities for hiking, cycling, boating, fishing and horse riding. Treignac, itself, is a beautiful little town in the Correze of great historical interest. There is a path mapped out by the tourist office which you can follow to take in all of the interesting historic sights such as the ancient bridge, which the house overlooks, the three churches, the old market place, the look out tower (all that remains of a castle), and the old fortified city gates etc. In Treignac and other nearby towns such as Eymoutiers, one can enjoy browsing the local markets and sampling the excellent food and wine in the many great restaurants. We recommend "La Brasserie", a couple of minutes drive from the house on the road to the lake! Just down the road from the house you will find "the Project" a centre for musical concerts and art exhibitions. As well as the local shops in the town centre there is also a supermarket, Intermarche, for your daily groceries a couple of kilometres away.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 31 Mar 2017
30 night minimum stay
for 30 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A deposit of 30% is required within 10 days of booking. The balance is payable 6 weeks prior to arrival date. Cancellation after this will result in forfeit of deposit.
A damage deposit of 100 euros is also required.
Preferably Saturdays. Arrive after 3pm. Leaving before 10am
(Other days can be considered at quiet times of the year.)
Notes on prices:
2 nights cost 200 euros
3 nights cost 240 euros
Longer rental periods are available at reduced rates.
If central heating is required in the Winter or colder months there is an additional charge of 20 euros per week for oïl.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“As well as having the facilities and interests of the town centre nearby we have loved being able to return to our ancient little road and house where the only thing you can hear is the sound of the river tumbling over the boulders below. We have enjoyed many a peaceful evening sitting in the garden with a glass of wine watching the little village become illuminated as the light fades to dusk. We hope that our guests will come to love this special place as much as we do!”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- On the first floor there is a bathroom with a toilet, wash basin, bath and shower facility, and on the floor below is a toilet with wash basin. Both rooms have laundry baskets.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedrooms 1 and 2 have new double beds with two bedside cabinets and side lamps, large armoires, and windows with views over the river. Bedroom 3 has new twin beds, bedside cabinet, side lamp, armoire and an old treasure chest of toys for the children.
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house has oil fired central heating for the Winter months. We welcome pets, and there is an enclosed back garden where they can run and play safely. We would prefer them to remain in the first floor living area and not in the bedrooms above. However, they can use the back door on the first floor to come in and out of the house to the garden when needed. A welcome pack of groceries will be provided on arrival, and there is a folder in the reception area with information about how to use the facilities and equipment in the house. The house is a no smoking zone. Outside: There are gardens to the back and front of the house which provide lovely outdoor areas from which to enjoy the views. There is a barbecue and dining area in the back garden which is accessed through the backdoor of the house and is securely fenced in to provide a large open space in which your dog can run about safely. The gardens are all terraced with beautiful stone walls. Utility Room: In the Reception is a utilities area where there is a second sink and washing machine, an ironing board, iron and airer. You will also find a cupboard with games and puzzles for all ages and a shelf of interesting books to read on your holiday. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are provided. The property is cleaned at the end of each visitors stay. Please leave the house as you found it as there is an additional charge for extra cleaning needed at the end of a visit. Other: Dining room: The dining room has a long dining room table, traditional French dresser and drawers, and views from the windows to enjoy whilst dining with your family.