Cottage in Lyndhurst, New Forest, Hampshire, England - Lyndhurst Village Centre. High Street Pubs & Shops 1 Minute Walk, Open New Forest 5 Minutes Walk
This very large New Forest Cottage is perfect for a large group of family or friends to spend a weekend or short break together. All guests can dine at one big table together, and relax in the huge vaulted lounge afterwards. The building is full of character and will make a memorable stay for everyone in the group. The location in the heart of Lyndhurst, in the middle of the New Forest, could not be more convenient.
Top Traveller Review
Spacious yet cosy... would highly recommend!
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Just wanted to say what a lovely stay we had at The Old Stables last week. The cottage was warm, cosy and clean. The kitchen was well equipped and lacked nothing. All the appliances were in working order and the location in Lyndhurst was superb. Everybody in the group said the beds were very comfortable and the open fire added a great ambience at the end of the day. We shall certainly recommend this cottage to other large groups seeking a break away."
"Just a quick email to let you know we had an amazing 60th birthday weekend. Any worries that we had were immediately gone the moment we stepped inside The Old Stables. After our initial visit last May to look around, it was good to see the alteration and decoration that has happened in the meantime. Not only that, we were lucky to have all the new crockery and glasses, plenty of hot water, cozy beds and good heating. All our guests were very impressed and I can guarantee you will have plenty of recommendations."
"The Old Stables is a fantastic place to stay with a large group. Being so close to both Lyndhurst and the beautiful New Forest there is tons to do right on your doorstep making for an unbeatable location. The accommodation is comfortable and the living room and kitchen a lovely mix of spacious but cosy. Can't recommend it enough, we had a fantastic stay!"
"Spacious and sociable house for groups or families right on the doorstep of quaint Lyndhurst shops, cafes and restaurants and the New Forest National Park. An abundance of bedrooms, cinema in the lounge, piano by a roaring fire and long kitchen table fit for a banquet!"
"Thanks for a good week at the Old Stables. It was clean and spacious with a well-equipped kitchen (and a constant supply of hot water). It was such a cold week, and we enjoyed the log fire every evening! The big screen was great for watching films together. It was also an excellent location, being just off Lyndhurst High Street, and there was something for everyone (aged 5 months to 86!)."
“Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed staying at The Old Stables last weekend, the accommodation was perfect along with the weather and we managed to go kayaking and play rounders at Boltons Bench”
“Thanks to you and your team for all your help in booking the Old Stables in Lyndhurst over the New Year's period. Everything was just as the brochure suggested, and everyone had a fantastic time.”
1 holidaymaker review
Spacious yet cosy... would highly recommend!
We had an absolutely brilliant time!! The cottage was exactly what was needed; spacious yet cosy with everything you could need within. We would definitely use this again for further meetings/team building going forward. Great place, highly recommend!
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Special interest holidays and short breaks available such as painting, walking, cookery and mountain biking.
New Forest surrounds the village.
Coast is 25 mins by car.
Car recommended but not essential. Close to Bournemouth and Southampton airports, and Portsmouth, Southampton and Poole shipping ports.
In Lyndhurst centre. Central in the New Forest.
Southampton 10 miles
Bournemouth 20 miles
Salisbury 20 miles
Winchester 21 miles
The village centre location is ideal for large group accommodation, any of the pubs, restaurants, shops or cafés are accessible in minutes without the need to travel out in cars. Although the village centre is prominent and lively there is hardly any development beyond this and you are able to walk straight out into the New Forest National Park in minutes, rather than needing cars for access to forest walks. An easy place to walk along to is Bolton’s Bench, where you can walk for miles into the forest, play a game of rounders in summer or go sledging or snowboarding in winter!
The dining for everybody at one table makes this large cottage a great place to have a special birthday or other celebration meal. Book the chef’s team for the night and celebrate with the finest local seasonal food prepared with passion and presented beautifully at the table, with no washing up to do afterwards or any large wine bill – just bring your own drinks. No need to worry about taxis home – you are all already there! Just retire to the lounge or your room in your own time.
Until just over a decade ago, The Old Stables was derelict, with the roof removed and part of the end fallen down, but had all the original Stable features intact. During the conversion we reinstated the roof and formed the internal layout and floors, opening up the large fireplace and reusing the stable setts outside. The cast iron stable divisions were used as the banisters and all the large beams, A-frames and other timberwork were retained and left exposed. The feature round windows remain, along with all the original character. Outside appears exactly as it would have done when the occupants were horses rather than holidaymakers, the only additions being the discreet conservation rooflights which provide plenty of light to the glorious spaces inside.
"I just wanted to let you know what a fantastic time we all had at the Old Stables. It's a brilliant property and gave us everything we needed."
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
25% deposit on booking, with 75% balance payable 2 months before your stay.
Booking is on line with pay pal, card or BACS payments accepted
Changeover days are Friday, Monday and Wednesday. Arrival from 4pm, departure by 10am.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- 5 Bathrooms in total. Two have shower, basin and wc. Two have basin, wc and bath with glass screen & shower over. One has separate double ended stand alone bath, separate shower cubicle with power shower & jets, basin and wc.
- 12 Bedrooms, Sleeps 38
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Bedroom 9
- Bedroom 10
- Bedroom 11
- Bedroom 12
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 38 (12 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: All 12 bedrooms have a double or king bed. Nine of them have 1 or 2 additional singles, and the largest room has a double and 3 singles. Some of the king size beds can be split to 2 singles. There are a total of 29 separate beds. No bunks or sofa beds!
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The Old Stables is perfect for large groups of friends and family to get together in the New Forest. The ponies are no longer inside, only out! Its now a very large New Forest cottage, set back from the road down it's own secluded drive off the High Street, in the centre of Lyndhurst, the ‘capital’ of the New Forest. The huge cottage is a wonderful conversion of a fine Victorian stable building, the most unique of our large New Forest cottages, full of character with high vaulted ceilings, expansive living spaces and many original stable features retained or re-used. Big cottages sleeping so many people rarely have all the dining at one large table. The Old Stables does exactly this, making it the perfect venue for friends or family weekends, short breaks or holidays. "The house was absolutely perfect, thank you. We would love to come back another time." "Overall we thought it was great value for money and would definitely recommend the cottage to friends." Outside: Outside space for barbecues etc, no actual lawn. Large drive and parking. Spa and swimming pool available nearby on request. Hot tub can be hired at additional cost. Utility Room: Full size freezer. Washing Machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen is included. Towels not included.