A Private Island, Isle of Ronay, The Outer Hebrides, Scotland (5 Bedroom House) - Stunning location, far from the madding crowd
Enjoy a totally mind blowing adventure in the wilds of the Outer Hebrides. Escape to a private island with only dear, otters, golden eagles and seals as neighbours. The island of Ronay is part of the Outer Hebrides, the Scottish Highlands' most westerly isles. Discover a secret refuge, far away from the tourist trail or any human footprint where you can be at peace and in awe of nature.
- Sit back, relax and watch the drama of nature unfold from the windows of your comfortable, 5 bedroom home.
- An unpretentious yet an utterly romantic hideaway it is great for couples and families alike with a roaring fire in the master bedroom and a muralled nursery
- Ramble across crags and gullies on your exclusive 1400 acre estate
- Plunge into or picnic beside 7 pristine locks
- Fish for mackerel, salmon and trout with the best sea fishing in the area
- Pick muscles off the rocks or go lobster potting
- Shoot woodcock, snipe, duck, geese and grouse with the North Uist Estate
- Stalk red deer on Ronay or North Uist
- Go otter spotting
- Discover ruined crofts on Ronay, treasure hunt for archaeological finds, and visit the burial grounds, standing stones and ancient ruins of North Uist and other islands
- Be inspired by the artist's open houses on North Uist and the traditional tweeds of Harris
- Discover the stunningly remote beaches of North Uist, Barra and Lewis
- Snuggle up in front of peat burning stoves
- Feast on freshly caught lobster, scallops and prawns bought from the local pier
- Go kayaking, cycling, snorkeling and scuba diving or take a speed boat to St Kilda to see the Puffins.
While enjoying a holiday in total seclusion on your own private island is the dream for many, some may also wish to explore the surrounding islands and engage in organised adventures. You can be as active or as passive as you wish on your own exclusive island.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Utterly romantic. My boyfriend literally swept me off my feet by taking me to Ronay. Surrounded by spectacular landscape, weather and wildlife we got cosy together undisturbed by a soul." Georgie Cooper, Buckinghamshire
"For me, Ronay was totally inspirational. Surrounded by exceptional nature, far away from the madding crowd, I obtained the rare peace and tranquility that I needed to finish my novel." Roland Baker, London
"Best fishing ever and fantastic boys escape." Edward Stanford Brook: London
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
A truly remarkable haven, hidden away in the Outer Hebrides. If you were ever lucky enough to find such an island in the UK, you would probably be camping. Not so on Ronay! The house is very comfortable with all mod cons, and is generously appointed. No shortage of hot water, gas and electricity. The island is big enough to get lost on, with endless scope for walks and picnics, and the sea offering great diving, fishing and other water sports. A perfect place to escape to - a place where you can gently unwind and recharge. Ronay is an exceptional island and would suit anyone looking to escape pavements, cars and noise.
Reviews of unbeliebably beautiful locations often begin with 'its impossible to say'. This is not the case with Ronay for it is very simple to say....there is nowhere like Ronay and it is utterly unique and stunning in every aspect. I cannot recomend it highly enough for either a family holiday, romantic retreat or a revitalising reboost. Lets start with the house - it is perfectly designed, decorated, restored, warm and comortable. The essential luxuries are there. The non essentials such as televisions are not! The bedrooms are well sized and the beds very comfortable (not that you will have a problem sleeping after a full days walking) The kitchen is great for preparing and hosting fantastic dinners and with the abundant and oustanding local seafood your inner gourmet will flourish. Imagine cooking the most delicious (and enormous) muscles you picked that morning in the evening....it cannot be beaten. Add on the dublin bay prawns, salmon, crab , lobsters and you are in special territory. Now onto the really special stuff and the reason you are there. The landscape - it is without doubt the most beautiful scenary i have every had the luck to stay near, in and or about. It will without doubt revitalise your soul! No need for spas or facials or massages. A walk up to the lochs (or inded a swim in them) and a good stomp around the island will clear your mind and end any woes or streses that may be prevailing. A whole week and you can just about cover the island finding old crofters houses and druid pits. Sailing is stunning. Fishing is out of this world. I cannot recomend it highly enough....i better go back soon......book it you wont regret it.
Its really rather difficult to describe our stay here. Once on the island you are completely alone. There is nobody to disturb you, and nothing can prepare you for the feeling of being completely in charge of everything you can survey around you. Amazing.
What an environment to rule over! Ronay is truly one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed. If you climb the hills on a clear day the views are awe inspiring. Fishing and foraging is some of the best We've seen, and stalking too.
Combined with the beautiful cottage that makes you feel at home the moment you walk in the door, our visits here are treasured memories. We've already been back twice and will be back again no doubt.
Activity and Interests
This is your own island adventure. You are surrounded by total tranquility, peace and quiet. Going back to nature, away from the maddening crowd in total seclusion.
The island has 7 beautiful lochs with fantastic spots for picnicking and swimming.
The island is teaming with wild deer and bird life.
We have 2 kayaks and there is a fishing operation that can take you out sea fishing and for day trips.
The stunningly remote, wild and spectacular beaches of North Uist, South Uist and Bara are just a short Kayak and/or drive away.
You can take a flight from Glasgow (there are daily flights) to Benbecula and take a taxi/hire a car to get to Kallin harbour on North Uist. Then hire a boat (10mins) to the island.
Or travel to the isle by car and sea and drive through the spectacular highlands. There are ferries from Oban to South Uist or from Uig to North Uist. Then you will need to drive to Kallin Harbour and hire a boat (10mins) to the island which we manage.
Ronay is a private island and uninhabited.
It is a 10 minute boat ride from Kallin habour in North Uist. You can hire a boat to take you across or bring your own. The mooring by the house is shallow and there are hidden rocks at low tide.
From Kallin harbour you can take your car or hire a taxi to the local supermarket 5 minutes away.
It will take you a week to explore your island. Pick muscles off the rocks, hike, picnic, swim and try to spot the allusive otter or golden eagle.
Fishing (thought to be the best in the country) can be arranged with local fisherman as can day trips to the spectacular puffin island or the Monarch Isles.
Go treasure hunting in the ruined crofts on the island or on Uist there is the historical ruins of Barpa Langass and Trinity Temple
We also have 2 kayaks for exploring the sea and lochs.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£500|
Please contact us to book, we ask for 50% to reserve and the remaining 50% six weeks before arrival.
In high season change over day is usually Saturday please ask is this is not convenient.
We ask for half of the rent to secure the booking and the other half plus the security deposit 6 weeks before your stay.
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- pets considered
- near the sea
- bird watching
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to master bedroom with bath, double sink and wc Bathroom with bath/shower/sink/wc Bathroom with shower/sink/wc Downstairs wc
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: 5 Bedrooms (sleeps 10 adults) Notes on bedrooms: Master Bedroom, open fire, super king bed, amazing views and en suite bathroom Bedroom 2: super king, window seat and fitted bookcase. Bedroom 3: double bed Bedroom 4: double bed Bedroom 5: twin beds Nursery: 2 children's sofabeds 1 bed for toddlers
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: You will need to hire a boat from Kallin harbour in North Uist to take you to Ronay island, which we can arrange. You can buy all your provisions on the neighbouring inhabited islands before you go. If Ronay was easy to get to it would not be so special. Please contact us to discuss travel arrangements, the house and what you will need to bring for a magical stay. Outside: The house over looks the sea with a sloping lawn to the jetty where you could moor a shallow boat. Surrounding the house are hills covered with ferns, heather, bracken and wild flowers. You have 1400 acres of your own exclusive estate to explore. Ramble over crags and gullies and discover the seven stunning locks to swim in or picnic by. Stumble over the relics of old crofts, hunt for treasure, stalk dear and pick muscles off the rocks. Paddle in front of the house in kayaks or dingys or venture further afield around the island with the seals, porpoises, eagles and herons. Hire a local boat and head out fishing for mackerel. Utility Room: Backdoor cloakroom for downstairs wc Clothes line is behind the house. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Clean towels and linen are provided on arrival. The house is cleaned before and after guests' stay. Additional cleaning by arrangement. Other: Nursery with murals, boat window bed and 2 children's sofa beds.