House in Yegen, Central Alpujarras, Las Alpujarras Andalucia, Spain - 40 Minutes Drive To Beach, Beautiful Walking In All Directions, Peaceful Location
This authentic Moorish town house retains the spirit of Andalucian history. On two floors,with wood burning stoves on each level complete with south facing terraces. Stone steps leads from dining breakfast room down to walled garden and further stone steps lead down to driveway and private saltwater pool .The garden hosts orange,lemon,tangerine,plum and Kaki tree.From the driveway turning left and 200 metres is a typical Andalucian bar. From the front door turning right,about 400 metres walk,the village shop and close by various small bars,library,church,drinking fountains,in short everything that is required for day to day living. The house has brilliant wi fi but no TV. Radio,cd player. Basic Gas oven , four hobs, calor gas fuelled.Fridge no freezer Hot water from calor gas wall boiler. Automatic washing machine.Heating by wood burners and if required by plug in electric oil filled radiators. Looking from the south terraces,you look over sierra towards Ugiar and Sierra Gador which sometimes in February has snow on top.Sometimes you can catch the twinkling of the sunlit sea. Looking to the west you can see the undulating grape/almond filled hills of the Contraviesa.While to the east the rising hills of Almeria. To the north you have the Sierra Nevada mountains having at least 8 months of the year topped with bleach white snow. Yegen enjoys the fruits of the snow melt,with moorish canals(acequia) bringing irrigation water to the fertile fields around. The fountains in the village benefiting also with supposedly health giving waters for the liver,stomach and overall well being. Gerald Brennan after fighting in the 1st world war,chose Yegen as a place for convalescence,meditation and for the inspiration of his first book "South from Granada" Soon, other artistic,creative and adventure seeking souls gathered in Yegen to marvel at its inspirational qualities. Many of these were from the Bloomsbury set,Augustus John,Virginna Wolf and Dora Carrington. (a painting of yegen can be seen by her in Tate Modern).
About the Owner
l first came to Yegen in 2001 and am still inspired by the village and its fantastic landscape. l paint as a hobby and you will see some of my creations around the house.
The weather and especially the sky formations are a delight to behold.
From the Owner
“Although remote it has everything you require. good weather,fantastic landscape,organic fruit and vegetables,friendly locals,good wine,excellent walking, wild flowers in abundance,butterflies,good birds and perhaps hear a scops owl at night.”
Activity and Interests
La Rabita a very original Spanish beach resort 40 minutes drive from yegen.
Good beach at La rabita,excellent for children and two or three very good restaurants in the town
Almeria airport is 1.5 hours to yegen. Malaga is 2.5 hours to yegen. Santander
12 hours to yegen. A car is recommended,although a taxi can bring you to and from yegen if you are only staying for a short while.
Car hire at all airports.
Approx 1 hour of very pleasant walking to Mecina Bombaron or 1.5 hours to valor
or 2 hours to Ugiar. Behind yegen is the natural park,so good for bee eaters,
larks,eagles,ibex and of course a host of wild flowers.
Being in Yegen is about capturing the spirit of the old Spain. The sound of donkey or ass feet on the small narrow streets. The smell of jasmine and orange blossom in the air. The quiet sound of an authentic mountain village with the pure air of 3,000 ft above sea level. the sound of running water as it bubbles down from the snow melt of the Sierra nevada.Being in Yegen gives you the chance to pick up a book,feeling unhurried,feeling calm and enjoy
your contemplation of the stunning views around.You really need move no further than the house or yegen, at least for a week.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
1 May 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
Please contact owner.
Flexible on arrival and departure dates.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“At almost the centre of the village,with the front doors opening onto a small pedestrian street. Your car on the southern side in its own gated drive. The smell of woodsmoke ,mingling with the orange blossom. As its 3000 ft up on the southern side of sierra nevada,winds are very light. So smells linger and pervade,putting you in the spirit of the Alpujarras.”
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- bathroom on ground floor with bath,shower over bath, bidet, WC and sink. Hot and cold water.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king size double bed own terrace.Bedroom 2, double bed. Downstairs bedroom 3 ,two single beds
- Notes on accommodation: There are many staircases leading from the pool area to the top of the house. So visitors need to be mobile ! The terraces are unsuitable for very small children. All the floors are tiled through out. No smoking allowed in the house. Outside: Two gardens, one around the pool area and a further garden above, complete with small lawn and various trees. Two loungers, hammock, sunshade. the pool is private and is approx 8 metres x 3metres x 1. 85metres deep. it has steps leading into the pool and is a salt water pool. Utility Room: Washing machine, large washing sink, vacuum cleaner Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are supplied and are changed for each holiday booked or every seven days.The same applies for cleaning. Other: Bedrooms and dining room are tastefully furnished in an authentic manor