Gite In Canet D'aude Nr Narbonne, Aude, Languedoc-Roussillon, France - Secluded Position, Yet In Center Of Village. 2km From Canal Du Midi And 30 Mins From Beaches.
Renovated to a very high standard, The Winemaker's House sits in the grounds of a Maison D'Maitre which faces the village square in the heart of Canet d'Aude, a village situated on the border of the Minervois and Corbieres wine regions. The gite is set at the rear of an acre of park and grounds with its own private garden and has a completely separate entrance to the main (owners) house. Sitting on your sun lounger on the gite's own pool-terrace you could be forgiven for thinking you were miles from anywhere. In fact you will be 200m from the heart of the village with its shops, bar and facilities. The 12m x 4.5m heated indoor pool sits between the gite and the barns of the manor house. In the summer both ends of the pool room are opened up to the gardens. You can relax on the terrace in the sun knowing the kids wont burn while they play in the pool. Or vice-versa! Inside the gite, the rooms are light and airy with high ceilings and all mod-cons are provided including 2 fridges, one of which could be exclusively used for wine, beer and ice-cream! Downstairs there is a large kitchen diner, separate lounge and a large shower / wc room. Upstairs there are 3 large bedrooms and a family bathroom with full size bath/shower. Outside the gite faces onto its own private courtyard garden with palm trees, tomato plants (help yourself) and fig trees, a large dining terrace / barbecue area, (with lighting for the late evenings) sun loungers, and pool terrace.
About the Owner
We moved here in 2008 on the basis that it would be an adventure but if it didn't work out, well we'd just go back to the UK. Happy to say we are still here and still enjoying it. Our kids are now proper French teenagers (though well trained so dont worry!), our French is still not quite perfect, and the main house still needs a lot of work, but on the whole life is good.
Guestbook comments from the owner
V.good location, v.good specification, v.friendly host. v.private. v.good pool. you will not regret booking!
From the Owner
“With over 300 days of glorious sunshine per year the Aude offers a fantastic variety of activities and places to visit during your holiday; * The beaches at Narbonne plage, Gruissan and Le Franqui * The historic walled city of Carcassonne. * The Roman city of Narbonne - the daily (morning) indoor market is always a favourite with food lovers * Walks and restaurants along the Canal du Midi * Family swimming areas in local rivers * For older children river jumping/swimming is a must at Ribaute. * Paint balling, canoeing (in the Orb valley) and go-karting near to the beach at Gruissan * Water park at Narbonne Plage/Gruissan which our younger vistors always enjoy * The medieval towns of Lagrasse and village of Minerve, Cathar castles and ancient forts.”
Activity and Interests
The closest beaches to Canet (30 mins by car) are Narbonne Plage and Gruissan with their wide, sandy expanse of shorelines and safe swimming they are ideal for families of all ages. As well as several outstanding beaches Gruissan is famous for its ancient medieval centre, restaurants, shops, seafood and a modern buzzing mariana. A bit further away are the beaches of Leucate and Le Franqui with beautiful backdrops and slightly deeper inshore waters more suited for "proper" swimming.
This area is served by several lo-cost airlines particularly in the summer months.
Approx times from airports to Canet are; Carcassone airport 35 mins, Beziers 30 mins, Perpignan 45 mins, Montpellier 1hr, Toulouse 1hr 30mins, Girona 1hr 45mins.
There is a train station at Narbonne connecting routes to Paris and Lezignan connecting routes to Toulouse. Car-hire is definitely recommended.
The village of Canet D'aude is in a fantastic location - surrounded by vineyards and only 2Km from the Canal du Midi. The nearest market town, Lezignan Corbieres, is only 4Km away with all the big supermarkets, a great butchers, posh patiserrie and an excellent local wine shop. You can also join the motorway at Lezignan which will give you fast access to all the region's principal towns, cities and beaches. We are just 15 mins to Narbonne and 30 mins to Carcassonne.
Canet itself is a historic site and the village dates back to the 8th century. Today it is a thriving village and offers all the modern amenities you may need within a 5 minute walk of the gite including. a small supermarket, boulangerie, bar, tabac, vegetable market (open Fridays and Sunday morning's), pizza restaurant, a pharmacy and doctor's surgery.
Local attractions include:
* The beaches at Narbonne plage, Gruissan and Le Franqui
* The historic walled city of Carcassonne.
* The Roman city of Narbonne - the daily (morning) indoor market is always a favourite with food lovers
* Walks and restaurants along the Canal du Midi - you can hire little boats at various points along the Canal
* Family swimming areas in local rivers - Mirepisset and Bize and also at local lakes where the french often build beach areas
* For older children river jumping/swimming is a must at Ribaute. There is also; paint balling, canoeing (in the Orb valley) and go-karting near to the beach at Gruissan
* There is a water park at Narbonne Plage/Gruissan which our younger vistors always enjoy
* The medieval towns of Lagrasse and village of Minerve are always popular destinations and for those with a love of historic buildings the Abbey at Fontfroide and the Cathar castles in the mountains towards Perpignan are also outstanding.
* Shopoholics will enjoy the boutiques of Narbonne and Montpellier
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
6 May 2017 - 26 May 2017
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
27 May 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£134|
A deposit of 25% is required with the booking with the balance paid 6 weeks before the holiday starts. We ask for a 200 euro cash deposit to be paid when you arrive to cover any additional cleaning costs or breakages. This is refunded when you leave.
During the peak summer season rentals need to be for full weeks with changeover day on Saturdays, but we can be more flexible out of peak times. Arrivals after 4pm and leaving by 10am if you can!
Notes on prices:
Prices include linen, towels, wifi, electricity and water etc.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The reason we chose this house (out of the thousands we looked at!) was that its fairly unique in having a large garden that gives a feeling of being completely secluded and peaceful and yet it is situated 200m from the centre of the village. Perfect.”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Indoor Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- bird watching
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- ice skating
- mountain biking
- whitewater rafting
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs is a modern wet-room style shower room with wc and hand basin. The family bathroom upstairs includes a wc, hand basin and full size bath with shower. Big fluffy towels are provided.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms all decorated and furnished with high quality bed linen to give a light, airy and relaxing feel. Bedroom 1. double bed, Bedroom 2. double or twin beds, Bedroom 3. twin beds (sloping ceiling)
- Outside: The gite has its own private walled garden including a dining terrace with barbecue and seating for 8, a pool terrace with 8 sun loungers, with areas of sun and shade to be found at all times of day. The 12.5m heated pool is accessed by the terrace via full height concertina glass doors which open out in the summer months to provide a real sense of air and light. The other end of the pool opens onto the main park and garden. There is also a large trampoline for guests use. The main garden faces the drive as you enter and includes a traditional park with mature trees and shrubs laid out in the original 19th century design with an ornate fish pond hidden in the centre. There is also a more open grassy area leading down to a stream at the back of the property. Guests are welcome to wander around this garden and find a quiet spot to relax. Utility Room: Separate from the kitchen there is a utility cupboard housing the washing machine, iron, ironing board, vacuum and cleaning stuff, away from small children. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Good quality linen and bathroom towels are provided, please bring your own beach/pool towels. Please leave the gite at the end of your stay as clean as you found it, or if you prefer there is a cleaning service for 70 euros. Other: Cots and high-chair available on request at no extra charge