Barn in Longnor, Buxton, Derbyshire, England - Peak Barn Is A Tranquil Location Ideally Placed For Exploring The Peak District Or A Reunion
x Peak Barn is a converted barn set in 40 acres of meadowland which lead down to the Manifold river near the village of Longnor in the Peak District National Park. Peak Barn was an old farm building to the farm of Over Boothlow, which is also a holiday let and can be let together with the barn sleeping of up to a total of 23. Peak Barn can sleep from 2 to 10 in 4 double ensuite bedrooms with 2 bedrooms sleeping 3. There is a large kitchen/dining/living room with views down to the River Manifold. The view is west facing and the room gets the afternoon and evening sunlight. There is ample parking on site and dogs are welcome. There are walks from the door one going to the village of Hartington, in the next valley is the river Dove which flows down to the gorge of Dovedale where the hill of Thorpe Cloud can be climbed. The Izak Walton Hotel is here where afternoon tea can be taken or the less energetic may take coffee and read the paper. The barn lies approximately 600 metres from the road down its own farm track with views over the Staffordshire moorlands on the horizon. In the winter on a fine day spectacular red sunsets can be seen from the barn. On wet days herons are seen in the valley and occasionally swans flying along in the shelter of the hills. In the summer lapwings and skylarks can be heard on the meadows. Swallows nest in the grit stone farm buildings in Spring and woodpeckers may be heard tapping in the trees. Peak Barn lies in a good central location for people meeting up from all parts of the country and it is near to Manchester airport. Although it has a rural setting the network of roads will take you to all parts of the Peak District with lovely scenery on route. Nearby activities include walking, cycling on cycle tracks, riding at a trekking centre at Flash and Tissington, golf courses at Buxton and Bakewell, climbing on the Roaches or a visit to nearby Alton Towers. There are numerous stately homes to explore Lyme Park, Chatsworth, Haddon Hall, Hardwick Hall, some of which have large parks to walk in and gardens to see. The local towns of Buxton, Bakewell, leek, Ashbourne all have their own type of architecture, Bakewell is built of limestone Ashbourne is built of grit stone and red brick. Buxton has an opera house which has a variety of performances and a festival each July. There was also a spa where Mary Queen of Scots visited. Leek and Ashbourne are famous for antique.
Top Traveller Review
Wonderful mini break!
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
1 holidaymaker review
Wonderful mini break!
We stayed at Peak Barn with our children and two other couples and their children. The facilities were excellent, very clean, perfectly equipped for our needs and we had a wonderful time. The caretaker was friendly and helpful and we had no complaints. It is worth noting there is no wifi and very little mobile signal (on o2 network at least) in the barn but for us this was part of the attraction. We had a wonderful day out to nearby Bakewell and there is the village of Longnor nearby. We would definitely recommend this property and would love to return at some point in the future.
From the Owner
Activity and Interests
Buxton 7 miles has a rail connection where a taxi can be taken.
Manchester airport is about 25 miles away.
It is recommended that a car is brought due to the rural location.
Longnor lies between the M6 and M1 approx 25 miles from each.
The location of Peak Barn from Longnor can be found on the web site of the farm house www.Over Boothlow.com
Longnor 1 mile. Buxton 7 miles, Leek 10 miles. Bakewell 9 miles. Ashbourne 16 miles, Manchester 25 miles.
Tesco does food deliveries. There are supermarkets (a large Morrison, small Sainsbury) in Buxton 7 miles. Leek has a large Sainsbury and a Waitrose 10 miles. Ashbourne has a Sainsbury, Waitrose and M&S food 16 miles.
Restaurants- The Royal Oak, Hurdlow, 5 miles. The Packhorse Inn, Crowdecote, 2 miles. The Cheshire Cheese Longnor 1 mile. The Cavendish Arms Baslow 12 miles. The George, Alstonefields 14 miles.
Additional pricing information
A 20% deposit secures a booking with final payment 6 weeks before commencement date. Dogs are charged at £10 per stay. Terms and conditions are on the website of over boothlow farmhouse www.overboothlow.com
THERE IS NO WEBSITE FOR PEAK BARN YET, IT IS IN PROGRESS.
Change over day is usually a friday but this is flexible to suit guests wishes.
We should ask guests to leave by 10 am and arrive after 4 pm but this can be flexible.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- autumn foliage
- theme parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- All bathrooms have a shower, washbasin and toilet, 1 bathroom has a bath with a shower over it.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 1. 1 downstairs twin en-suite. N.B. There are 2 steps up into the kitchen from here. 2. 1 upstairs double en-suite 3 1 upstairs double en-suite with 1 single bed. 4 1 upstairs 3 x single beds which can be made into a king with 1 single.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: The barn sleeps 10 and lies within the curtilage of Over Boothlow farmhouse which sleeps 13 and can be booked with the barn sleeping a total of 23 people. The buildings date from approximately 1850 and are built of local grit stone. The barn is a warm, comfortable place to stay with many original beams and one exposed stone wall restored by local craftsmen. The floor in the living room is granite with under floor heating powered by an air source heat pump. The bedrooms have radiators. Outside: There is a grassy peaceful seating area with a view far reaching south westerly view looking down the green Manifold valley plus logs for seats and chairs. There is a barbecue. Utility Room: No utility room Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen is included in the price.