Nelson Gay, St Peter, Barbados, Caribbean - Nelson Gay’s Garden Gate Opens Straight On To A Stunning Crescent Of Perfect Coral Sand
Nelson Gay, an elegant six bedroom coral stone Palladian mansion, is located on the West Coast of Barbados in a lush tropical beachfront estate of nearly two acres. The garden opens straight onto a stunning half-mile beach. The clear, sheltered Caribbean Sea is roped off for safe swimming, snorkeling and water sports. Nelson Gay is just perfect for a totally relaxing and unforgettable holiday. It is an ideal choice for large groups or families as the property can accommodate up to 20 people by special arrangement.
Designed in the 1960s for US Ambassador, Robert M. Scotten, Nelson Gay has recently been renovated under the direction of architect Brian Surfleet. The house has maintained a timeless quality difficult to find in more recently built properties expertly mixing classic Palladian architecture with modern amenities.
Situated on one level, the house has a central living area flanked by two wings; the rooms are spacious, airy and decorated with a sense of relaxed elegance. The design palette of white with accents of green compliment the tropical environs as well as the vibrant art collection, which includes several antiques and notable works of art, including a stunning Erté mural and a fine collection of Haitian paintings.
There are five double bedrooms in the main house with high quality linens, air conditioning, plasma televisions, cable and DVD players. Some have a small fridge and minibar. Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom. Located in the garden is the self-contained guest cottage with private patio and en-suite bathroom.
In order to accommodate an additional 4 guests, there are two traditional Barbadian wooden Chattel Houses within the grounds, which can be used by special arrangement. They are each en-suite, one with a King size bed and they both feature a small kitchenette.
The formal dining room in the South Wing is a masterpiece in itself, lit only by candlelight with a glass topped table and French antique chairs, it is a dramatic and intimate setting for evening parties.
Nelson Gay’s garden is the true gem of the property. Complimented with lush green foliage and tropical flowers, the focal point of the gardens is the stunning 50 ft. pool that extends from the terrace toward the sea at the far end of the lawn. The pool can be fenced for young children’s safety, as well as heated on request.
Outside the house, a 60 ft. terrace offers three separate areas for relaxing or dining poolside with a shaded lounge and two tables, one of which can seat 20 people. The garden gazebo offers an additional al fresco dining area for up to 14 people with a bar and fridge.
The Nelson Gay staff will ensure that your holiday in Barbados is completely stress free and always luxurious. The team is experienced, well trained, friendly and always on hand to cater for your every need; planning meals, shopping, cooking, serving, cleaning, laundry, security and everything else. The core staff team is made up of a butler, chef, housekeeper, maid / laundress, two gardeners and a night watchman. This team can be increased depending on season and number of guests. Our agent, Blue Sky Luxury also provides concierge and property management.
Nelson Gay is an ideal retreat for groups and families. It comfortably accommodates up to 20 guests, the house is fully staffed and with the private pool and direct access to the beach, you are guaranteed a 5 star holiday experience.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"This is the third year running we have visited Nelson Gay for spring half term and each year it spins its magic on us. We love the laid back style, the friendly staff, and the great food. More than anything though, the garden (which would put most botanical gardens to shame) and the beach and the pool just give us the perfect playground for the extended family, which for that week includes the wild monkeys and the mongoose. Roll on next year!"
Chris Wray (UK)
"We are a group of 6 couples who first rented out Nelson Gay for a long weekend in November 2011. The setting of the villa is spectacular. It is on a calm beach and has a spectacular pool. Watching Sunset every night with cocktails is heaven on earth. From the time we arrived until we left we felt that staff tended to our every need. From rum punch on arrival to elaborate meals, to laundry every day. The food was made fresh for each meal exceeded our expectations. We have now rented out this house for 3 consecutive years and we all look forward to reuniting with all the staff in Nov 2014."
Jonathan Waitman (US)
"Again, a wonderful family vacation for 3 generations"
Doran family (UK)
Activity and Interests
The villa's 2 acre mature tropical garden backs on to the beach.
Grantley Adams International Airport in Bridgetown is approximately 40 minutes by taxi which can be arranged by the agents.
Speightstown, the nearest town is a short walk away. Holetown and short drive. Both offer shopping, bars and restaurants.
Nelson Gay is impressive but never pretentious. A unique blend of elegance and good taste makes it a very special house for discerning guests. The dining table was designed by Oliver Messell with 12 French antique chairs and a large Messell mirror. There are 5 different place settings, including Wedgewood, Rosenthal and Mikasa. Dinner is by candle light and is served by your own uniformed butler, chef and maid.
The rooms are airy and mostly decorated in white with some green to complement the tropical surroundings. The beds are new and comfortable with lOO% high count cotton sheets and soft hypo allergenic pillows. There are many antiques and works of art. In addition to the Erté mural there is a fine collection of Haitian paintings. The house is virtually “child-proof” as all sofas, and beach loungers are covered in washable Sunbrella fabric.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
5 Jul 2016 - 14 Dec 2016
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Christmas & New Year
15 Dec 2016 - 9 Jan 2017
14 night minimum stay
for 14 nights
10 Jan 2017 - 14 Apr 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For bookings please contact the owners. Prices given do not include the Christmas period 20th December 2014 to 3rd January 2015. Please contact us for rates for this period.
No specific changeover day.
Notes on prices:
Prices given do not include the Christmas period 20th December 2014 to 3rd January 2015. Please contact us for rates for this period. For availability go to: http://nelsongay.com/availability.html
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Air Conditioning
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Games
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- Private Chef
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- jet skiing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- 6 en suite bathrooms in the main house and the cottage, (one bedroom has two bathrooms), and 1 powder room. Master bathrooms have showers only. The South Wing bedroom has his and hers bathrooms with showers. The cottage bathroom has a bath/shower.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 7 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Chattel house in the garden with shower aircon TV
- Bedroom 8 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Chattel house in the garden with shower aircon TV
- Bedroom 9 - 3 Single Bed, Media room able to accommodate up to 3 children
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 18(6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: King bed, en-suite, A/C, TV. Bedroom 2: King bed, en-suite, A/C, TV, Bedroom 3: Queen bed, en-suite, A/C, TV, Bedroom 4: 2 Singles, en-suite, A/C, TV, Guest Cottage: 3 Singles, en-suite, A/C, TV. Additional accommodation available upon request.
- Golf ...
- Catering available
- Notes on accommodation: The well-trained and friendly core staff consist of a butler, chef, housekeeper, maid/laundress, two gardeners, a night watchman, all supervised by a part-time house manager, with the back-up of West Coast Villas, part of the Sotheby’s group. The staff will help you to plan your meals, shop, cook, serve, do your laundry, and make your holiday truly relaxing, stress-free and unforgettable. Outside: The house is set in nearly two acres of mature, landscaped tropical gardens with many fine trees, fronting the immaculate Cobbler’s Cove beach. An impressive 50’ pool leads the eye naturally from the house to the beach. Tiled in Italian green mosaic, the swimming pool blends beautifully with the lush tropical vegetation. At the far end of the garden alongside the beach is an octagonal "Chinese" gazebo, a wonderful place for sunset cocktails and long, leisurely meals cooled by the ocean breeze. Utility Room: Maid service included. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Maid service included as part of the package.