House in Saxmundham, Suffolk, England
Because quirky Station Cottage was built as two - though always used as one - it has two of everything - front doors, back doors, staircases, sitting rooms (one with open fire-place and one with piano), bathrooms, attics, cellars and gardens - a large accommodating kitchen leads into the dining room and to the back garden (with sand-pit, tables and chairs). The front garden has a climbing frame and tables and chairs. It's a peaceful and safe house for families with small children. Children especially love the trains which start late and finish early and don't drive you crazy! Waitrose (and Tesco) are a two minute walk away in the village which has some fun shops to explore as well. There's parking for two cars. A huge, grassy Memorial ground is just over the road for more energetic children and there's a wonderful playground in the nearby campsite - a short walk away.
About the Owner
We live in London and Station Cottage is a happy holiday home which isn't used as much as it once was because the little children that loved it have grown up into big children and prefer to do their own thing now. It needs to be loved and used so it is now available from time to time.
We loved music and walking and sailing and Saxmundham has the advantage of being close to all those things without being in the middle of the holiday crowd. It also has easy shopping and occasional markets.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Station Cottage has been my personal holiday home for the last four years and has only been rented out a few times.. Lovely notes were left but I don't know how to put them on this site! Circumstances have changed and the house is now available to rent more frequently so I've decided to try using Owners Direct.
From the Owner
“We bought it because it was quirky and cosy and yet had loads of space for everyone; because it was so near to Aldeburgh and other beaches yet away from the holiday crowds; because it was so close to Snape Maltings where there is plenty going on - music, art, walks, shopping, eating.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
10 minutes to the coast - Aldeburgh and Thorpeness beaches, mostly pebbles. Slightly longer to Dunwich, Walberswick, Southwold which are sandy.
Crabbing is a popular activity for small children at Walberswick and Orford.
Saxmundham station is a hop and a skip away. Ipswich station about 20 minutes. Stanstead Airport about 40 minutes. A car is essential really though bikes can be taken on the train and are a happy alternative.
Station Cottage is in the heart of Saxmundham village. Coastal towns of Aldeburgh, Thorpeness are 10 minutes away. Dunwich, Southwold about 20 minutes and Bury St.Edmunds and Ipswich are about 30 minutes. Norwich an hour.
There are countless pubs and restaurants in the area and Waitrose and Tescos are two minutes walk away. The housebook lists all these in more detail. Aldeburgh is famous for it's fish and chips ofcourse!
- Booking Notes:
Damage Deposit of £200.00 payable on booking. Complete payment 8 weeks before arrival. Deposit returned 14 days after departure if no breakages and the house is left reasonably clean.
Notes on prices:
Station Cottage is available for £150 per night based on a rental of 7 nights using 5 rooms.
If you would like a quote for different numbers please email.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Peace! Lovely to have space to do nothing, make a noise, play games, play music, cook, eat, chat, wander to the shops, explore the countryside and coastline, visit pubs and restaurants. Station Cottage has masses of cosy space and is a short car journey to everywhere. That's what makes it special to us.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 2 spacious bathrooms: 1 with bath with shower and wc 1 shower room with wc
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: 3 double bedrooms, 2 singles plus attics Notes on bedrooms: Green bedroom - large double bed (6ft) Blue bedroom - double bed (5ft) Red bedroom - double bed (5ft) Yellow bedroom - single bed (3ft) Flowery bedroom - large single/small double (4ft 6ins) Attic with mattresses suitable for youngish children. Cot.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: Not really suitable for the elderly as there is no downstairs loo. Central heating throughout except for the attics which have separate heaters. Outside: Back and front gardens. Chairs and tables in both. Sandpit in one, climbing frame with slide in the other. Utility Room: No utility room as such. Washing machine in the boiler room. Tumble dryer in the cellar. Iron and ironing board in the cupboard in the green bedroom. Vacuum in the boiler room Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and bath towels are provided. Guests to bring their own beach towels. Property is cleaned before and after each visit. Other: There are two attics. One with another double bed on it's own up a little stair case behind a secret door. Another, above the blue bedroom, with three sturdy mattresses suitable for young children.