Folkingham - Quiet, self contained and absorbs people to give a relaxed atmosphere. Village amenities to hand.
Folkingham Manor is the perfect house for family get-togethers and friends reunions as well as more traditional holiday breaks.
The art historian, Nikolaus Pevsner, particularly appreciated the piano nobile level (1st floor) which houses two large reception rooms (sitting room and dining room) and a study. The top two floors hold the beamed bedrooms and bathrooms. On the ground floor there is a large kitchen with an AGA and dining table for informal meals, a second kitchen, walk in pantry and library.
The 1 acre garden is split into different areas of lawn and borders with plenty of room for car parking on the extended gravel drive. There is an all-weather tennis court suitable for year round use.
The village of Folkingham has a 7 day a week shop, PO, pub and fine Early English church. It is considered to be one of the finest villages in the county with its wide market place surrounded by Georgian houses.
The beautiful town of Stamford, renowned for its architecture, 7 churches, The George Hotel and much more is easily accessible as is historic Lincoln to the north and Peterborough to the south. The well serviced Grantham mainline station is just 20 minutes away by car and it then takes under an hour to London Kings Cross.
Within the vicinity there are golf courses, fishing lakes and riding stables.
Top Traveller Review
The most amazing place I've ever stayed!The most amazing place I've ever stayed!
About the Owner
About Marjorie Carr
Marjorie Carr purchased this chateau / country house in 2000
Why Marjorie Carr chose North Kesteven
(6 traveller reviews)
The most amazing place I've ever stayed!
Beautiful home, oozing with character. Marjorie was a wonderful host.
The house and village were memorable. We had a relaxing time and really enjoyed the walk which starts just outside the house.
We were made very welcome by the owners.
We had a family reunion at Folkingham Manor, the place was just fantastic for us all. it accommodated all of us with ease.
it was very easy to find and the grounds were wonderful in the sunshine, thankfully there was a lot of sun on our bank holiday getaway.
The owners and house keeper were wonderfully relaxed.
We hope to go back in the future.
I would highly recommend Folkingham Manor as a getaway for large groups.
Impressive house with beautiful garden in pretty village
We were a party of eight and had a very enjoyable weekend in this impressive house. The garden is beautiful and was full of the scent of lilac, the wisteria was in bloom adding to the beauty of the house. The large kitchen soon became the hub of the house, with many happy hours spent eating and chatting round the huge table, the only draw back being the aga made it very hot at times and we were unable to open the windows. The house is certainly perfect for a large group as there is so much space, there are areas that would benefit from some TLC , it wasn't the best equipped house we've ever stayed in, but it was clean and comfortable, we would return. One of our party found the glass bathroom door very disconcerting!! Folkingham is a pretty village, the chocolate shop opposite was wonderful, you can watch the chocolate being made, we made several visits! The local shop is excellent, stocking a wide and varied range of goods. We ate at The Bustard Inn, South Rauceby on the Saturday evening, which we highly recommend. We visited Tatteshall Castle, The National Design Centre in Sleaford and Woolsthorpe Manor, Issac Newton's house, all very interesting. The owner and housekeeper were both very helpful and quick to respond to our pre-visit questions. Being able to arrive at any time on the Friday and checkout by 2pm on the Sunday maximised our stay. We left feeling happy and relaxed, what more can you ask of a weekend break!
Beautiful property, lovely location
A lovely large house, perfect for a family get-together. The house is absolutely huge (you need to be fit to navigate all the flights of stairs!) and is full of quirky, original features - it feels like a real step back in time!
The house was clean and very well looked after by Yvette and she provided good customer service when we needed it.
Due to the period and age of this house do not expect modern, sleek interiors. Some of the fixtures and fittings are very tired and outdated but this seems to add to the quirky attraction of the house.
The kitchen was the main hub for our family get-together and cooking on the Aga was a real joy.
The gardens are beautifully maintained and we enjoyed the use of the tennis court.
Warm welcome in Folkingham
A beautiful house, full of character in a charming and very friendly village. The housekeeper gave us a warm welcome and was very approachable. The gardens were lovely, we lucked out with the weather so made full use of the Tennis court and the grounds. The owner was always quick to respond to our questions.
Thank you for letting us stay in your lovely home
From the Owner
Activity and Interests
Grantham Station - 13 miles
Peterborough Station - 24 miles
Stamford - 19 miles
Grantham - 13 miles
Lincoln - 24 miles
Bourne - 8 miles
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Flexible with arrival between 4pm and 7pm unless earlier time of arrival agreed.
Departure by 12 noon on departure date unless later departure agreed
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- wheelchair inaccessible
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- 6400 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- En-suite bathroom to Bedroom 1 with bath, hand basin, shower and WC. Family bathroom for Bedrooms 2, 3 and 4 with jacuzzi bath, shower, Jack and Jill basins, bidet and WC. Bathroom for Bedrooms 5, 6 and 7 with bath, hand basin, bidet and WC.
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, Bathroom en suite
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Single Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 7 - 1 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 Notes on bedrooms: Principal Bedroom with double bed. Bedroom 2 with double bed. Bedroom 3 with single bed. Bedroom 4 with twin beds. Beyond the green baize door Bedroom 5 and 6 each have a double bed and double futon. Bedroom 7 with single bed.
- Golf ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: Folkingham Manor was built for Lord Clinton by his father, the Earl of Lincoln, shortly after the English Civil War. It is a Commonwealth house of four storeys with thick limestone walls and a fine Collyweston tiled roof. Subsequent occupants include the Wynne family made famous by Betsy Wynne who wrote of her friends Horatio Nelson, Lord and Lady Hamilton, and recalled listening to Mozart in her celebrated diaries. The Wynnes were followed by the wealthy and influential Heathcote family whose forebears were founders of The Bank of England and the East India Company. Outside: The gardens are divided into separate areas suited for sitting or playing games. During the summer months it is ideal for eating out and the tennis court can be used year round. Utility Room: The utility room/2nd kitchen has an electric hob, two electric ovens, and a washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Guests are provided with towels and linen. These are changed weekly. Property is cleaned weekly. The services of local caterers and serving staff are available on request. Other: The library on the ground floor is ideal for those who want to escape with a book or listen to music.