Cottage in Melrose, Scottish Borders, Scotland - Peaceful Village Location. Less Than 5 Mins Walk To The Banks Of The River Tweed
Heron Cottage is a delightful detached cottage dating back to the early 1800’s, situated in the attractive village of Newstead providing the perfect Scottish Borders self catering accommodation. The historic town of Melrose is just a short walk away where there are a wide variety of amenities and attractions, including varied range of specialist shops as well as quality restaurants, bars, and sporting activities, including the famous Melrose Rugby Sevens. Heron Cottage is an beautiful detached period cottage that has recently undergone a complete renovation inside to offer stylish, contemporary self catering accommodation. Although the exterior of the cottage is traditional in appearance, it is in complete contrast to the modern accommodation that lies within. Immaculately presented throughout, Heron Cottage oozes good taste and boasts a beautiful sleek high gloss kitchen and the luxurious contemporary bathroom even has ‘his and hers’ wash basins! A fabulous wood burning stove in the lounge ensures a warm welcome awaits guests whatever the season. The lounge is fully equipped with a widescreen LCD TV with Freeview, DVD player and hi-fi quality iPod speakers. Due to its history and age the property is naturally quirky which adds to its charm with some limited height space on the first floor. Heron Cottage is situated in the heart of Scottish Border country, an ideal base to explore the many nearby abbeys, castles and stately homes including the historic Melrose Abbey. Most countryside pursuits are available here or close by, including walking, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, golf, pony trekking, tennis, canoeing, shooting, exploring and much more. If you want to visit Scotland’s capital city, Edinburgh is less than an hour drive away.
Whether you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing break or a more energetic outdoors holiday, Heron Cottage is located at the centre of the idyllic rural setting of the Scottish Borders that has got everything covered.
Top Traveller Review
Comfortable cottage, ideal location
About the Owner
My name is Nicole Scott. I live in Ramsbottom, Lancashire with my husband Keith and our two young children Freya (9) and Robby (7).
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Traditional outside but modern inside with every amenity provided"
The cottage was very well equipped - hot water bottles, spare umbrella, torch, picnic basket, picnic chairs etc. Every last detail had been thought of and provided. Beds were very comfortable with pristine bedding and comfy duvets.The wood burning stove made a cosy end to a busy day. Easy walking distance to Melrose. Modern inside but traditional exterior. We would recommend it to others without hesitation. The upstairs rooms have low camber ceiling so care had to be taken but kids would love the quaintness of it. We had a great time these and would go back. It was excellent for a short break in the Borders.I would not recommend it to very elderly or those lacking in mobility due to steep stairs and low ceilings in places upstairs but great for families.
"Fabulous break in the borders"
We had a great week staying at Heron cottage. The cottage has been renovated to a really high standard and was extremely comfortable - comfy beds are especially rare with many holiday cottages so we were very impressed.
Newstead is in easy reach of lots of pretty villages and tourist attractions and we would particularly recommend a visit to Abbs head - very beautiful and the Old School cafe was a gem.
Thanks to Keith for being so understanding and helpful about us leaving some belongings behind at the cottage. I had been a bit poorly with a bug whilst we were there so I wasn't thinking as clearly as usual when we were packing up!
Would highly recommend.
"Lovely little cottage"
We stayed at Heron Cottage for 2 nights, and found it to be a wonderful base for exploring the Scottish borders.The rooms are very prettily decorated and comfortable, with a lovely bathroom and gorgeous bedrooms, and the heating was generally quite good (though we had an issue with hot water for the shower, which probably was our fault). Newstead is a quiet little village, which suited us. It was a short drive to Galashiels, which has a great Tesco, and the kitchen was really well stocked, so we could cook our own meals.The addition of WiFi would have been great (all the other places we stayed at had WiFi, which made life easier). Other than that, it felt just like home!
4.8 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
Comfortable cottage, ideal location
We stayed at Heron Cottage for three nights. The cottage is very comfortable with all needs catered for. Ideally situated to explore the Scottish Borders. Melrose is within walking distance and is a beautiful town. We also visited Jedburgh, Kelso, Dryburgh and Berwick upon Tweed - all short drives from the cottage. Local people very friendly and helpful. Arrival/departure instructions, directions helpful and precise. Slept like logs as very quiet and peaceful. Enjoyed the patio area too. Would stay here again if visiting the area.
Fascinating area. Beautiful countryside and interesting places within easy reach
Fab, ideally located, cottage to explore the borders. The cottage provided everything we needed, nothing was overlooked including dressing gowns! Would recommend slippers though as the floors can be a bit nippy on your toes. Highly recommend it.
Activity and Interests
45-minute drive (35 miles) to the picturesque east coast beaches at Coldingham Bay (Blue Flag Beach) and Berwick-upon-Tweed. Coldingham Bay is a fantastic, secluded beach, renowned for surfing and body-boarding with loads of rock pools to explore
Less than 1 mile to Melrose centre: 10-15 minutes walk
Nearest Town: Melrose (1 mile)
Nearest shop and post office: Melrose (1 mile)
Nearest supermarket: Galashiels (5 miles) – Asda, Tesco & M&S stores
Nearest restaurant and pub: Melrose (1 mile)
Nearest railway station: Edinburgh Waverly (38 miles)
Nearest airport: Edinburgh (40 miles)
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
October Half Term
21 Oct 2016 - 30 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Xmas & New Year
23 Dec 2016 - 2 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Deposit - 25% to secure booking
We will provide written confirmation of booking on receipt of deposit
Full balance to be paid 3 weeks prior to arrival
Preferred payment methods:
- Bank Transfer
If your stay is less than 6 weeks from time of booking, payment in full should be paid immediately. We will send full details including full directions 2 weeks prior to your stay.
Friday and Monday
Notes on prices:
Prices may be subject to change at the advertiser's discretion
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Video Library
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Contemporary family bathroom located downstairs, with twin sinks, power shower and bath. Features tiled floor and heated towel rail
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master Bedroom with King-sized Double Bed, Bedroom 2 with Twin Beds. Childrens' cot available on request.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Heron Cottage has 2 upstairs bedrooms, and downstairs is a modern and spacious kitchen/dining room, bathroom and contemporary lounge. The windows to the front of the cottage have been kitted out with made to measure plantation shutters for added privacy. The kitchen has a sleek and modern look and is fully equipped, including a washer/dryer and dedicated wine fridge! The dining area features a dining table that seats 4 people. The lounge is the perfect place to relax, including a 32" LCD TV with Freeview, DVD player, hi-fi quality iPod speakers in lounge and a traditional wood burning stove, with a basket of logs provided. A selection of DVDs, games, books and magazines are available for your enjoyment. Luxury modern bathroom features twin sinks, a large heated towel rail, and bath with power assisted shower. Bath towels and bath robes are provided. A range of books, leaflets, local tourist information and maps are also available so you can make the very most of your stay. Outside: The cottage is located on Main Street in Newstead, directly opposite the lovely village green complete with old red phone box! Parking available in the street right outside the cottage. There is a small secluded seating area in the front garden which gets the sun in the evening, so you can watch life go by in the oldest inhabited village in Scotland. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels, bed linen and robes included