Villa in Tsirmokokalo, Skiathos, Sporades Islands, Greek Islands, Greece - This is a Tranquil Haven Surrounded by Sea and Trees and Yet Just 20 Minutes from Port and Airport
Metalassi was among the first 3 houses to be built on Skiathos in 1962, which explains the beauty of its unique location. The immediate coastline has remained miraculously virginal with forests tumbling down to the sea. Nothing about this house is overbuilt or fussy - it's all about enjoying the sea, beach and we can arrange a boat for you during your stay. For kids it's all about exploration, fishing nets, looking for shells and sea urchins. It's Gerald Durrell meets 'Swallows & Amazons' on sea. The garden has some beautiful mature trees, like the majestic firs that flank the property and the ancient olive trees on our terrace and the big fig trees and vines. We have recently planted more so it contains lemon, grapefruit, orange and pomegranate trees plus flowering plants (oleander, plumbago, bougainvillea and geraniums) and jasmine, honeysuckle, lavender, tobacco plants and gardenias for their scent. We have kept most of the house's original features like its cool, stone 'Pelion-style' floors and traditional blue shutters. We have furnished it simply and sturdily on a blue and white theme and most of the textiles or ceramics are local or have been collected over the years on our travels. If you are looking for lots of luxe and decorative furnishing, this house is not for you. It's designed to be worry-free and child-proof so people can laze around and put their feet up. All shower rooms are simple with mirrored cupboards over the basins and there's also an outdoor shower. THE LOWER HOUSE, with double bedroom and ensuite bathroom, leads onto the main terrace where we tend to live, eating at a big table overlooking the sea. The terrace is covered and leads to a lower sun terrace. There is an entrance hall with desk, sitting room with dining area and kitchen off it and a utility room. There's a reading room off the sitting room that we use as a serene reading room but this can be used as another bedroom. There's also a second shower room. All main rooms lead onto the terrace. THE TOP HOUSE is simply one of the mot romantic bedrooms in the world and our friends who have stayed here will happily testify to this. It's a big airy room with a king-size bed and a daybed that can convert into a double, a shower room and a big balcony with panoramic views onto the sea. THE MIDDLE HOUSE is where our two daughters have spent their summers with their friends. They adore having their own apartment, just a few steps up from the front door of the Lower House. They have their own terrace at the front of the house. Their house consists of a sitting room with double sofa bed and work surface with sink, two double rooms and a shower room. The first bedroom has a double bunk above a little sofa, the second two single beds and a small balcony facing the sea. My parents first came here in 1961 when they fell in love with the island and built Metalassi. I spent my childhood summers here, messing around on boats and exploring every inch of this beautiful island. In those days there were no ferries, let alone an airport. Today Skiathos is easy to reach and you can book your 3 hour direct flight home from the house's Wifi yet the house retains its original magic and charm - we still tend to use candles and lanterns on the terrace at night and the path down to a secluded golden sandy beach remains rough and can be treacherous so small children should be supervised - we have recently put lights in so it's easier to walk back up at night.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
Our own beach, beneath the property, is golden sand and pristine. Skiathos is famous for its beaches, ranging from exquisite isolated beaches only accessible by boat to the 'Ibiza-style' beaches like Banana, popular with teenagers. We are a short drive from a huge range of beaches, our nearest for great water sports being Vromolimnos (visible from the house) or Koukounaries (just round the corner).
Skiathos Airport, with direct flights from many European destinations, is 20 minutes away by car. You can also fly to Athens and then travel 2 to 3 hours to Aghios Konstantinos and take a Flying Dolphin for 1 hour and 20 minutes to Skiathos. Hiring a car or motorbike is recommended and we can supply a boat on request.
Skiathos town/port is 20 minutes away. We are well-positioned at the centre of the island to be near so many beautiful places - like the island's many monasteries or historic Kastro, the ancient walled city ruins above one of our favourite rugged beaches with big waves and a wonderful restaurant in a shack where the fresh food is brought down by donkey daily and cooked over a barbecue.
We will supply you with a list of suggestions for all our favourite restaurants as we know them well after over half a century! We'll also give you a list of all the things our daughters have loved doing, like working as a volunteer in the puppy orphanage.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
10 Sep 2016 - 4 Nov 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please book with me direct via my e-mail. We request 50% on booking plus an additional 10% deposit against damages and 50% on arrival. At the end of your stay after which we will return your deposit.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite bathroom to bedroom 1 with shower, wc. Bathroom in Middle House with shower, wc - serves bedrooms 2, 3 and 4. Ensuite bathroom to bedroom 5 with shower and wc. Extra bathroom with shower and wc in main house.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 13 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Top House: Bedroom 1 with king-size bed and double day bed. Middle House: Bedroom 2 with double sofa bed, bedroom 3 with twins, bedroom 4 with double bunk. Main House: Bedroom 5 with king-size bed and possible bedroom 6 with sofa
- Notes on accommodation: This has been my family's summer home since 1963 when my parents finished building the house. It has provided three generations with glorious summers on this beautiful island, famous for its 64 beaches, lushly forested mountains and clean, turquoise seas. Metalassi is a very special place and it's the first time ever it's been available to rent. We hope you are as happy here as we have been. Outside: On the upper terrace, which is covered and surrounded by flowers with views over the sea, there is a dining table and three eating areas. Steps lead to a lower sun terrace with sun loungers, hammock and then there are steps to the sea. There is another seating area under a vine. There is another smaller covered terrace at the front of the house with sea views with small sofa and chairs. Steps lead to the path down to the sea. Utility Room: In the utility room is extra storage with a big fridge/freezer and washing machine. There's a chest of drawers for beach towels and dish towels and a big food cupboard plus wine rack. There's also an iron and ironing board. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen (all 100% Egyptian cotton) are included and there is a big supply of beach towels. Our cleaner normally comes twice a week but could come more upon request. Other: The reading room contains a big L-shaped sofa (that can be slept on) and our record player and collection of vinyl as well as a DVD player with screen. Glass doors lead to the terrace.