Award winning Manor House, Nr. Holt, North Norfolk, set in 4.5 acres Idyllic Norfolk Location Only 6 Miles From The Coast And Easy Access To Norwich And Holt
Set in 4.5 acres, the house has recently been sympathetically restored and where possible, original features have been kept. However, there are many modern conveniences to make your stay that more enjoyable.
As you step inside the Manor through the porch, you are greeted with a very grand entrance hall of black and white marble flooring, with a large sweeping staircase. To the right is the main reception room. At approximately 14m long by 7m wide with 2 sets of bay windows (one with French doors opening towards the lower lawn) and windows on two more aspects, chandeliers, beautiful cornicing, marble fireplace and fitting furniture, you will be hard pressed to find a more impressive room for relaxing and entertaining!
Back across the hall is the ‘study’. With leather sofas, wood-burner and beautiful furniture, this is a spacious but very ‘cosy’ room.
The large flagstone floored kitchen is fully equipped with large Aga and another large electric range cooker so that ‘enough cooking’ space is not a problem! The dressers and pine table give this room that Victorian kitchen feel. The French doors in the kitchen open straight onto the patio, perfect for those summer days. A large American style fridge freezer can also be found. Off the kitchen is a fantastic ‘side kitchen’. This houses a huge original butler sink, microwave, dishwashers and the brick and slate shelves provide lots of storage. The great advantage of this room is that all the preparation and washing up can be place out of sight!
The breakfast room is a lovely room entered via a brick arch from the kitchen. This is a lovely room with large table, wood burner and sumptuous drapes.
Another door from the kitchen leads down to the barrelled vaulted cellars.
There are two downstairs cloakrooms both with a Victorian feel. One in the porch and the second off the main corridor.
The Games Room, once the old dairy, this is now cosy room for the kids (or adults!) to escape to with 2 sofas, TV, Nintendo Wii, DVD player and a large selection of games including children’s puzzles, board games, footballs and a 34 in 1 games table, which includes Table football, Pool, Glide Hockey amongst 31 others! We know how important it is to keep the children occupied so you can have some ‘time out’.
There is also another 3/4 full size table tennis table!
The bedrooms are tastefully decorated and furnished with a nod to Victorian and Edwardian eras. Large windows and fireplaces are commonplace in this house so all are bright and characterful.
The master bedroom has a four poster bed, fireplace, chaise lounge and dual aspects overlooking the local countryside. The large ensuite, has a double slipper bath and separate shower with French doors opening out onto it’s own balcony. Imagine soaking in the bath with the doors open on a balmy night with champagne in your hand!
Bedroom 2 again has a large 4 poster bed, fireplace, daybed and windows on two aspects. The ensuite is charming with its slipper bath and fireplace.
Bedroom 3 has a super kingsize black and brass bed and large ensuite with shower.
Bedroom 4 is another characterful room with a superkingsize white and brass bed with a large window overlooking the rear garden.
Bedroom 5 is a twin room with a black and brass bed and fireplace overlooking the rear garden.
Bedroom 6 is a triple room with fireplace overlooking the rear garden. We found that the wardrobe in this room had a secret door in the back where the servants could scurry through!
Bedroom 7 is a downstairs single bedroom suitable for those less able. It has an easy access toilet and shower.
The family bathroom is quite luxurious! With a centre staged slipper bath looking out with Chandeliers and fireplace, you will feel very special. Oh yes, there’s also a fireplace and a large separate shower!
There are two staircases, the old servants staircase at the far end of the Manor or you could make your entrance and sweep down the main staircase into the grandhall.
The Manor is decorated in beautiful Farrow and Ball colours and is adorned with beautiful cornicing, dado and picture rails, gorgeous light fittings, stained glass doors, beautiful cast iron radiators… just to name some of the features that await you.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
We received the loveliest email from our last guests yesterday who were here over Easter 2015 celebrating an 80th birthday.
"WOW!!!! What a stunning property Bessingham Manor is and far exceeded our expectations. Thank you both for making it so welcoming when we arrived.
The goody basket, the shopping put away, the warm aga etc was much appreciated and we immediately felt at home. Everyone had a fantastic weekend. Thank you.
Also thank you for helping my eager nephew and girlfriend with suggestions for the day when they turned up 5 hours early!
We left at 10am and hoping all was to your satisfaction with the house/bins etc. Much was consumed over the weekend.
Thank you again and congratulations to you both for creating a beautiful home"
Activity and Interests
Bessingham is only 6 miles from the Coastal town of Cromer (famous for it's pier and crabs) and 5 miles from the Coastal town of Sheringham.
The beaches along the North Norfolk Coast are very diverse from pebbly to vast sandy beaches such as that at Holkham, to salt water marshland areas which create a rich habitat for local wildlife.
Travel to Bessingham is advisable by car due to its rural location but access is quick from the A140 or A149.
The nearest mainline railway station is in Cromer, which is easily accessed from London with one change at Norwich.
The nearest airport is at Norwich, which is 18.1 miles from the house.
Cromer: 6 miles
Sheringham: 5 miles
Holt: 6 miles
Norwich: 20 miles
Blickling Hall: 11 miles
Felbrigg Hall: 5.3 miles
Norfolk Broads: 20 miles
Holkham Hall & Beach: 23 miles
If you just need a newspaper or basic supplies, The Spar shop & Post office in Aldborough is just 2 miles away.
Cromer boasts the easiest to get to supermarkets with Morrisons, Co-op and Aldi being directly off the main road going into the town from the house. It also has a wide range of banks including Lloyds, Natwest, HSBC, Santander & Barclays.
Sheringham has a good sized Tesco, lots of smaller shops and a Post Office. The North Norfolk Railway with it's steam trains is based here and should not be missed.
Holt, has a large Budgeons supermarket, Larners a small department store, Boots as well as a range of independent shops. There are also Natwest and TSB banks as well as a Post Office.
There are so many great places to eat along the coast and around the local area, I couldn't possibly start listing them but or personal favourite is The Gunton Arms. This is an old Hunting Lodge set in a 2000 acre deer park. Very English!
Whatever you are into, the North Norfolk Coast has so much to offer from paddling in the sea and getting back to nature to sailing, canoeing, exploring, walking, cycling, shopping, historic sites, adventure playgrounds, horse riding, birdwatching, seal watching. Shall I go on....?!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
28 Oct 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Christmas & New Year
22 Dec 2016 - 3 Jan 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
4 Jan 2017 - 13 Jul 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
14 Jul 2017 - 31 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Sep 2017 - 21 Dec 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Christmas and New Year 2017
22 Dec 2017 - 4 Jan 2018
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Mid week and weekend breaks are also available. Please contact us for a quote.
In order to book, 50% of the total payment is required in order to secure the booking. The balance becomes due 4 weeks prior to the commencement of the stay.
A damage deposit is required, which is refundable within 7 days of the end of the stay.
Payments can be made by card, cheque, bank transfer or PayPal.
For weekly stays: Friday or Saturday changeovers
For weekend stays: Friday start
For weekday breaks: Monday start
We are always open to discuss your requirements if you need particular dates.
Notes on prices:
Please contact us if you require pricing for 1/2 night short breaks. We are also flexible on the start days.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- chateau / country house
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Games
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- water parks
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- pier fishing
- surf fishing
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Ensuites: Bed 1: Balcony,Double slipper bath, separate shower cubicle, WC & basin Bed 2: Slipper bath, WC, basin and fireplace. Bed 3: Large shower, WC & basin Bed 7: Easy assess wet room with shower, WC & basin Main Bath: Slipper bath, separate large shower cubicle, WC, basin, fireplace
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 17
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 6 - 3 Single Bed
- Bedroom 7 - 1 Double Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bed 1: superkingsize 4 poster bed. Single bed E/S Bed 2: Kingsize bed. Single bed E/S Bed 3: superkingsize bed. E/S Bed 4: superkingsize bed Bed 5: double bed Bed 6: single bed and bunk bed Bed 7 (Downstairs): Double bed. Disabled access E/S
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Please contact us if you would like us to help with anything to make your stay more enjoyable. We can arrange for your birthday cake to be ready waiting as a surprise or we can take delivery of your shopping and have it all sorted ready for your arrival. Please do not hesitate to ask!! Outside: The Manor is set in 4.5 acres mostly laid to grass with mature trees and a small area of woodland so there is lots of space to explore! There is a large patio area at the back of the house conveniently accessed from the kitchen and main reception room. Here you will find tables and chairs and a large BBQ for outside entertaining. The land is mostly surrounded by hedges, beyond which there is open parkland on 3 sides. Please be aware that as with many houses of this type (a working estate) and in this location, there is a small working farm on the adjoining land. There is a long gravelled driveway with plenty of parking at the front of the house. Utility Room: /Huge butler sink /Dishwasher /Microwave /Plenty of Storage /Hoover /Mop & Bucket /Iron & Ironing board /2 x Highchairs /Clothes airer Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The house is cleaned between each booking. Linen and towels are provided but request that you bring your own beach towels. If you are staying for longer than a week, then the linen will be changed on a weekly basis at a mutually convenient time. Other: Dining Room: Directly off the kitchen. Table sits 14. Wood burner. Snug/Games room: Bright room with original norfolk pamment flooring, flat screen TV, DVD, Wii, a selection of games, footballs,table football, children's pool table, Table tennis.