Cottage in Stiffkey, Wells-next-the-Sea, North Norfolk - Idyllic Peaceful Location, 2 Minute Walk To The Coastal Path And The Sea Beyond, Village Pub & Shop
Samphire Cottage's setting is truly unique, for you can’t possibly stay any closer to the famous National Trust’s Stiffkey Marshes than this. It is nestled within Stiffkey's farmland so therefore away from the normal tourist bustle, but also only a short walk to the traditional Red Lion Pub and the celebrated Stiffkey Stores.
It is fully equipped for your stay and provides a relaxed Norfolk feel.
We have a downstairs double bedroom with adjoining bathroom for anyone who finds the stairs difficult.
Although this is a four bed property, providing a great space for family or friends, this is also a great place for couples to retreat to for a romantic break.
Out of season, we offer short breaks (please contact us for prices) and personally we find during the winter months, it is a fantastic bolt hole. There is nothing better than a brisk walk across the marshes followed by an evening by the woodburner and a bottle of wine!
Dogs are most welcome!
About the Owner
I'm married to Dawn and have a young daughter who has recently started school. We also have a a menagerie of animals including a dog, chickens, ducks and 2 ponies.
Guestbook comments from the owner
“We have just come back from a week in your wonderful cottage. It really was FABULOUS. We have been going to Stiffkey for years & actually have a cottage ourselves in the village but with the children getting bigger & bigger, we have outgrown it! We didn’t think we’d ever find anywhere to match up to it, but wow, what a place! We just loved it. FANTASTIC. I am lost for words! Could we please book ……….. for next year? Thanks again for a truly wonderful week.”
“We had quite the most fabulous week there last week. Honestly it was the best holiday we have had in years and all the children just loved it so much too. Everyone is begging me to book again for next year”
Julia & Hugh
“We all had a wonderful time here where we could relax and have fun. It rained a bit but we could huddle up by the fantastic log burner. The upstairs bedrooms were beautifully furnished and I loved the blue and white curtains – they were very cool. The kitchen was very big and I loved the toastie maker”
From the Owner
“My father bought this property and others in the early 60s when Stiffkey's Royal Artillery anti-aircraft training camp of which this building was a part of, was decommissioned. I have therefore spent all my summer holidays as a child here and couldn't think of a better place for my daughter to holiday and get back to nature. It is an easy place to access and 'bolt' to but feels so remote and quiet. You can't help but switch off and relax here. Our favourite time is at dusk, at which time we will wander down to the marsh when everyone has gone home for the evening and just sit and watch the sunset, listening to the birds. It's like having your own nature reserve for a garden. Truly magical!”
Activity and Interests
We are separated from the coast by a narrow woodland area through which you can view the sea. we are a minute or so walk to the coastal path and the National Trust saltmarshes, which are abundant with wildlife. Beyond this is the sand and sea. Not many people ever walk out there so it is like having your own private beach. The seals are often found basking here. Fabulous area for the kids to explore!
The famous Holkham beach is also a short drive away.
A car is highly recommended to explore the area but there is an excellent bus service which runs from Kings Lynn to Cromer. So if you just want to stay on the coast and you can get a train to either of these towns, The Coasthopper is all you need!
Stiffkey village centre from the cottage is about a 10 minute walk down a track. The Stiffkey Store offers a place to tie your dog while you pop in for one of their fabulous coffees.
Well-next-the-Sea is 3.5 miles (you can walk to it along the coastal path), Blakeney is 4.5 miles
The Georgian town of Holt is 9.6 miles.
Holkham Hall and beach is 5.5 miles
Burnham Thorpe (Birthplace of Nelson) is 9.2 miles
Too many great places to mention!
Stiffkey Store, is a characterful shop and Post Office selling basic supplies and coastal/ crafty style wares. The owners also make great coffee and cakes!
The nearest good size shopping town is Holt, which has a large Budgeons supermarket, Larners a small department store, Boots as well as a range of independent shops. There are also Natwest and TSB banks.
Well-next-the-sea, has a couple of small supermarkets as well as independent shops and a health centre.
The Spar shop in Blakeney stays open until 10pm if you have forgotten anything.
There are so many great places to eat along the coast, I couldn't possibly start listing them!!!
Whatever you are into, the North Norfolk Coast has so much to offer from paddling in the creeks and getting back to nature to sailing, canoeing, exploring, walking, cycling, shopping, historic sites, adventure playgrounds, horse riding, birdwatching, seal watching. Shall I go on....?!
- Booking Notes:
In order to book, 50% of the total payment is required in order to secure the booking. The balance becomes due 4 weeks prior to the commencement of the stay.
Payments can be made by card, cheque, bank transfer or PayPal.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- bird watching
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- pier fishing
- surf fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Downstairs bathroom has a bath with shower overhead, wc and basin. Upstairs is the 'Jack and Jill' ensuite with wc, basin and large shower
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs: /Master bedroom with a king-size bed. This room has french doors with great views. Shared en-suite. /Twin room with 2 single beds. Shared en-suite. Downstairs: /Bunkbed room /Double room with French doors to veranda. Bathroom next to it.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: The south facing garden is mostly laid to grass with hedging. It is fully enclosed with stock proof fencing so therefore safe for children and dogs. There is a round wooden table seating 8 and a BBQ. There are large verandas to the front (east facing) and rear (west facing)of the cottage, so perfect for morning tea and evening drinks respectively! The BBQ need never be called off for rain either. Watch out for the flocks of geese flying overhead and the barn owls hunting in the fields next to the cottage amongst the other wildlife that surrounds us here. There is also plenty of parking on the shared graveled driveway to the front. Utility Room: There's no utility but there is: /A washing machine /Clothes airer /Iron and ironing board /Hoover /Mop, bucket & broom /Hanging rail for coats /High Chair /First Aid kit Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The cottage is cleaned between each booking. Linen is supplied but kindly request guest to supply their own towels. If you are here for more than a week, a clean and a change of linen will be carried out weekly at your convenience.