House in Galle, Southern Province, Sri Lanka - There Is A Cook And Houseboy Who Has A 3 Wheeler To Take Guests To The Beach Or Town
PLEASE SEE OUR WEBSITE Handugodahouse.com .This tranquil valley is popular with expats ,many of whom live here all year, Sue who lives across the valley will meet you at the house and introduce you to Suresh who is the houseboy and will help you as much as he can , he owns a 3 wheeler that will take you on short journeys , or for longer trips to the elephant sanctuary etc an air conditioned van with driver can be hired for aprox £50 per day. You will also have the services of a chef , He will ask what you would like to have for breakfast ,lunch(you may wish to eat out of course)
and dinner , then give money for the shopping to the chef, who will take care of the shopping as a local will get much better value. He will keep all receipts , and what I do is add up the receipts at the end and compare them with the amount of money given to them . This is usually highly precise.
Water for washing and filling the pool is from a well at the end of the garden , hot water is solar heated and takes a little time to get to the master shower .
Drinking water is from an American water cooler that is always working in the kitchen.
Galle town , is a world heritage site and is exquisite , you may be lucky enough to be able to watch some Cricket from the ramparts.
The nearest beach from the house is at Wijaya ,which has a great restaurant and a shallow lagoon in front of it , perfect for those with children, this is also aprox 10 mins by 3 wheeler from the house.
In the master bedroom is a hotel style safe with instructions on how to set the code .
There is a welcome pack with lots of information in the house with plenty of flyers for local things to do and see.It also has important telephone numbers in it including things like the local Hemas hospital, brand new and staffed by western trained medics.
Our neighbour Cassoon who lives in the house further down the track about 50 meters speaks excellent English and can help with most things.
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful Peaceful house
About the Owner
I am a jeweller from the west country and fell in love with Sri Lanka on a visit in 1992 on honeymoon with my wife, we decided to buy a small tea plantation about 3 years ago and build our dream home by the paddy fields , this was completed in Jan of this year and we have already used it on a number of occasions, we have a 1 year old grandson who loves the pool and all the wildlife,
we put up a low fence around the verander of beds 2 and 3 so he cannot wake early and decide to go for a swim .
4 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
Beautiful Peaceful house
Beautiful house with great infinity swimming pool set in lovely gardens in a very picturesque location. A little remote but an enjoyable trip in a tuk-tuk through the paddy fields - about 30 mins from Galle and 15 mins from the nearest beach. Lovely helpful staff who were very keen to provide a good service and were on hand to provide breakfast and other meals if required and to arrange transport locally. We had lunch and dinner at the house, both of which were very good.
From the Owner
“it is incredibly peaceful but also a working environment with tea pickers and rice farmers going about their business,and the wildlife is amazing from wild peacocks to birds of paradise .”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
There are many and varied things to do ,nearby is the Paddy Island that runs cookery courses, there is the Elephant sanctuary where you can feed the baby elephants and ride the larger ones, further down the coast is the world renowned Yala National park with wild tigers and elephants.
Aprox 10km down the coast is Welligamma bay with the wonderful Traperone Island ,this horseshoe shaped bay is ideal for learning to surf and there are many surf schools there , they also hire out flippers and boogie boards .
In the House Is a guide to the many different things one can do and lots of fliers .
There is also dolphin and Whale watching excursions where you can see Blue Whales.
When I go I buy a very cheap mobile phone on pay as you go from a shop in Galle , you will need to show your passport but it is much cheaper booking excursions using the local network rather than you European phone. the phone should cost aprox £15.
Your relatives can call you much cheaper on this phone also.
The closest beach is at Wijaya where there is a restaurant this is aprox 10 mins in the 3 wheeler ,Unawatuna beach is aprox 20mins and Welligamma aprox 25 mins There are many beaches between these , most have bar/restaurants although swimming in the sea in some areas can be dangerous as there are strong currents and no lifeguards. I believe that there is a lifeguard at Welligamma.
Colombo is the Airport where you will land and once clearing customs it is worth changing £100 at one of the banks in the arrivals hall.A driver with your name on a board will be waiting for you . We now have a fantastic new Highway from the Airport to Galle which has cut the journey time down from6-7hrs to aprox 1.5hrs . you will have to pay the driver on arrival at Handugoda 10,000 rupies Aprox £50, $85US.
The nearest small town is Galle aprox10-15mins in the 3 wheeler ,most things are available ,there is Keels Supermarket which has a chemist with a chemist who speaks good english PLEASE SEE OUR WEBSITE handugodahouse.com for more info and pictures.
There are plenty of ATM machines
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£397|
Please contact owner, please see our WEBSITE handugodahouse.com for info on bookings etc.
There is no fixed changeover day at the moment ,but if we become busy we may have to have one. please see our website for more info etc handugodahouse.com .Thank you
Notes on prices:
whole house $400 per night nov- march except 2 weeks 22dec-6th jan $500 per night ,these include all staff .
From the Owner
“there are many and various things to do around the area including of course the most beautiful beaches ,Galle a world heritage site , the elephant sanctuary where you can feed the orphaned baby elephants , in the house we have a drawer full of things to do from ayurvedic treatments to lazy tours through the paddies by bicycle .”
- Away From It All
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- near the sea
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- All bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms with showers,basins set into antique pieces of furniture and loos
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master suite with one superking double 2 guest bedrooms with kingsize doubles and one spare matress There are 2 travel cots
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Included in Price
- Booking Possible
- Booking Possible
- Catering available
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: All the bedrooms have air Conditioning ,ceiling fans and floor standing fans , but due to the low electricity rate the AC does not work as effectively as it should , we are working on improving the power rate by installing a larger transformer in the new year , but with the ceiling fans and a floor standing fan at the end of the bed I generally rarely have to use the AC. When using the AC there are glass shutters inside the doors and windows to help keep in the cool air, please use them. Outside: Outside there is a 12x4 m infinity pool it is all one depth of 1.6m so diving is prohibited ,signs around the pool warn of this hazard there are shallow areas to sit in the water aprox 45cm deep with steps to access the pool.A pool maintenance man comes every other day to check the chemical levels and generally keep the pool crystal clear. The gardens have been planted with the use of a garden designer and are maintained by an outside maintenance company . There is a Barbecue by the pool and 6 sun loungers . Utility Room: All the usual items such as an iron ,ironing board ,washing machine are available , but Suresh deals with all the laundry and ironing , there is also a dry room which has a dehumidifier in it to keep all the laundry and towels dry and ready to use. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen,and towels are provided including beach towels , the laundry is all done for you including your clothes if you need them washed, it is customary to pay a small amount to Suresh for this service. Other: Through the bi-folding doors onto the open sided dining area there is a large dining table large enough to seat 8-10 people with antique colonial chairs