Guest House / B&B, Barn and Cottages in Coniston, Lake District, Cumbria, England - Off the Beaten Track, Lovely Accommodation, Scrumptious Food and an Unbeatable Setting
Off the beaten track, the farm with it's 16th Century farmhouse has lake frontage, stunning views and oodles of character. Relax and unwind in comfortable surroundings, we provide breakfast/lunch & dinner and plenty of activities from kayaking and mountain biking. The Space. Idyllic for both couples searching for a romantic getaway and families looking for a one stop shop - sleep, eat and play! Our farm (Bank Ground) known as Holly Howe in Arthur Ransome's famous children's book Swallows and Amazons, is the perfect location for a break - B&B and self catering cottages (sleeping up to 60). Guest Access. With private lake frontage and sensational views, we offer lovely walks on the farm, but should you wish to venture further a field then hire a rowing boat or kayak and have a paddle on the lake right here from the farm. Or hire a mountain bike (trailer available also) and explore Grizedale forest - UK's most famous mountain biking area that is right on our door step! Book yourselves in for breakfast, lunch and dinner or if you prefer to have a roam then we can advise you on the best local restaurants. Interaction with Guests. We provide meals, activities and advise should you want them, but your here to unwind so we like to leave you to it and let you find us in the farmhouse kitchen if you need anything! The Neighbourhood. The east side on Coniston Water is unique in it's beauty and views. We are lucky to be off the beaten track so if what you are looking for is the real Lake District then look no further. Getting around. Public transport around the Lake District is not great but it does exist and failing that there are local taxi services. We are a 20 minute walk from Coniston Village and 60 minute walk to Hawkshead Village. Railway stations in order of proximity - Windermere, Oxenholme and Ulverston - (website hidden). Bus routes - 505 - Windermere / Ambleside / Hawkshead / Coniston. X12 - Coniston / Greenodd / Ulverston. X33 - Ambleside / Coniston / Broughton-in-Furness / Muncaster / Ravenglass. Other Things to Note: We are a family run business and have excellent staff and chefs, we provide an non-commercial unique friendly environment where you will make memories and friends for a lifetime.
Details for holiday guest house Bank Ground Farm Sleeps 18 (6 Bedrooms), 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18, 6 Bathrooms
Guest house - is run from within a 16th Century farmhouse, displaying lots of character including open beams and low ceilings.
The B&B started over 60 years ago, at that point in time there were 14 bedrooms and one outside bathroom! Since then there have been many improvements and you'll be glad to hear all the rooms have en suite bath or shower rooms!
About the Owner
I was born on the farm and as a youngster I was keen to travel. After living 10 years in London and meeting my wife, we decided to move back to the Lake District to help run the family business.
Food is my passion, I love good food and lots of it! I enjoy cooking all sorts of food from Asian to Italian to traditional British.
Our accommodation mirrors what we enjoy and expect from our holidays. Hence there is a relaxed atmosphere and with lots of different types of accommodation to suit individuals, couples and families.
We provide excellent food and lots of activities and information as we know only too well how important it is to enjoy every minute of your break.
Guestbook comments from the owner
- “Sensational” - Fantastic place to stay. The list of positives is long and arduous but all aspects are worth a mention. The location, just 2 miles round the North end of Coniston water is superb. The views are spectacular and it is ideally situated for walkers, explorers, photographers or those who just want peace and quiet. 8/4/14
- “Bank Ground Farm - Amazing Background View” - We stayed here over the Easter weekend in the Self Catering accommodation. The rooms were clean, the sitting and eating areas were a good size with plenty of cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils which is great as we were catering for party of 20. The outside areas are lovely and the view of Coniston Water is beautiful - probably one of the the most amazing backdrops I have seen on my travels. 25/4/14
- “Beautiful location, wonderful food, lovely building” - My partner and I spent 3 days at Bankground and absolutely loved every minute. The bed was so nice we almost slept through breakfast on the first day. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. We will be making the trip from Australia to visit this place again. 15/11/13
From the Owner
“Bank Ground Farm has been in my family for generations, growing up here has been a privilege, fields to play in, the lake to swim and sail in and Grizedale forest on our door step (mountain bikers dream!). You'll have to come and see for yourselves why we've held on to the farm! Even Arthur Ransome loved it and used it as the setting for Swallows and Amazons, in which he calls the farm house Holly Howe”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We have recently introduced residential courses some of which are still to be confirmed, however if you are a group of six or more we are able to organise a bespoke course for you.
So far our courses include - photography, boot camp, open water swimming and crafts.
The lake (Coniston Water) is a two minute walk from our accommodation, just at the bottom of our fields.
Windermere is no more than a 15 minute drive and Grasmere and Rydal Water no more than 15-20 minutes.
Blackpool - 76 miles
Manchester - 104 miles
Liverpool - 111 miles
Car hire recommended - however there are local taxi and bus services as well.
Coniston - 1.5 miles
Hawkshead 3.1 miles
Ambleside - 7.1 miles
Little Langdale - 7.5 miles
Great Langdale - 9.9 miles
Grasmere - 11.1 miles
Windermere - 11.2 miles
- Booking Notes:
Prices shown are in GBP and include daily housekeeping, all linen and towels.
Check in time is after 4pm. Check out time is by 10am. Please telephone us a few days before the start of your holiday to advise us of your expected arrival.
Guesthouse - All prices are per person per night based on two people sharing and include a full English breakfast, served at 9am.
There is a discount for single occupancy, subject to availability.
High chairs, cots and stair gates are available on request
Preferred changeover day in the self catering accommodation is ideally Friday and Monday.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“I love Bank Ground Farm, it's a stunning place and I'm so happy that we made the move to the country... to my roots. No two days are the same, from feeding the animals, lambing, calving, silaging to cooking breakfast, hosting dinners, organising weddings and spending time with my little ones.”
- guest house
- Guest House
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 5 - Shower Enclosure
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Golf ...
- Outside: Bank Ground Farm boasts of over 60 acres of land on which to roam, it has a lovely gardens, patios and an orchard. There is a BBQ available for self catering cottages and we provide meals in our restaurant for those looking to eat out. Occasionally and completely weather dependent we organise BBQs with live music.