House in Alonnisos, Sporades Islands, Greek Islands. Wake Up To Views Of The Aegean, Breakfast On The Balcony Or In The Shady Garden
The house is almost 30 years old and faces south, on the eastern slopes of Chora (old village) in a peaceful residential location. It is spacious and airy within, white painted throughout and has cool tiled floors, perfect in the hot months. Upstairs, the two double bedrooms each open onto the upper balcony with stunning sea views in two directions. From here watch the sunrise but linger because it remains a sunny spot for most of the day. Downstairs is the open plan kitchen and living/dining area with typical curved Greek hearth. A small, bright sun room leads off with a window overlooking the garden. Perfect to enjoy a quiet moment out of the sun with a book or a game. For two couples two downstairs bathrooms make for easy sharing. There's also a small covered balcony outside the dining area with steps down to the small and private, south facing garden with a lemon and an olive tree and bougainvillea shading a sitting /Barbecue area. On the other side of the house is a small secluded patio, edged by a small garden and shaded by a large fig tree so you can catch or escape the sun, whatever your fancy, throughout the day. Here there's also an old stone sink perfect for washing out swim wear. If you want to dive then you're in luck because our near neighbours, Jan and Tony, who look after the house, also run a local dive centre! 5 minutes walk takes you up to the Old Village with friendly shops, tavernas and bars (approx May to October), although at least one restaurant stays open throughout the year. From the Old Village there's a summer season bus stop where you can catch the bus to Patiteri and Steni Valla. A 10-15 minutes walk downhill gets you to a small local beach, Megalo Mourtias with a couple of nice tavernas (in season)and a view of nearby Skopelos. Half an hour's walk down the nearby 'donkey path' takes you to Patiteri town and harbour (where you will have arrived by ferry) with its shops, bakeries, small supermarkets, bank, post office, pharmacies etc. At the end of a relaxing day why not take a short walk through the Old Village to watch the sunset over Skopelos, before enjoying a drink at a bar on one of the small squares and an al fresco meal. Back at the house, sit on the balcony once more, listen to the Skops owls and watch the stars float by!
About the Owner
About Glynis Hearn
Alonissos is a green and friendly island that everyone wants to come back to! We discovered it after visiting many other parts of Greece and wanted to spend more time here however, work and family commitments mean we can't stay as often as we'd like!
We have only just started to rent our home.
Glynis Hearn purchased this house in 2005
Why Glynis Hearn chose Thessaly
Alonissos has spectacular scenery all over the island. It's green and sits in the clear waters of a protected marine park and as we like sea swimming and snorkelling found it ideal. The islanders are particularly friendly, helpful and welcoming. The house has wonderful views towards the Two Brothers islands in one direction and towards Evia in the south.
What makes this house unique
There are amazing views from our house and it has a spacious feeling. It's an easy house to go back to and just start to relax.
It's within easy walking distance of amenities and a good beach so you don't need a car.
As we like walking we like the fact that we can find nice walks from the house but sometimes hire a car to explore more remote reaches of the island and visit friends.
If you want a lazy day, you can sit outside in shade or sun on different sides of the house as the day progresses.
From the Owner
“Alonissos has spectacular scenery all over the island. It's green and sits in the clear waters of a protected marine park and as we like sea swimming and snorkelling found it ideal. The islanders are particularly friendly, helpful and welcoming. The house has wonderful views towards the Two Brothers islands in one direction and towards Evia in the south.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Alonissos is fast becoming popular with divers and there are dive schools at Patiteri and Steni Valla. Friends who live close and who look after the house run one of the diving centres. In the near future an under water site of archaeological interest will be opened to divers (under supervision) and it is hoped that others will soon follow.
Because we're surrounded by a Marine Park the water is crystal clear and swimming off the beaches is easy. It's a 10 to 15 minute walk downhill to the local beach Meghalo Mourtias, where there are some seasonal tavernas. There are several other beaches and coves accessible on foot from Chora or Patiteri. You could take a bus to Steni Valla and access those around this quaint fishing/yachting harbour. With a car more remote beaches are possible and there's a good guidebook to these in the house.
The nearest airport is Skiathos, charter flights from the rest of Europe approx May to end September. Then ferry (1.5 hours)to Alonissos. Alternatively flights from rest of Europe to Athens and coach to Agios Konstantinos & ferry to the island. Lastly,flights to Thessaloniki and coach to Volos,& ferry to the island.
Routes through Athens & Thessaloniki are applicable year round.
Once on the island car hire allows access to more remote places and beaches but is not essential.
We are on the edge of the Old Village (Chora) so that's a 5 minute walk. Lovely views and interesting old houses refurbished since the 60's earthquake. If you have a car it's 5 minutes down to Patiteri where there's a good museum of mainly local history and around the island are some undeveloped sites of historical interest which you'd need a car to get to.
Alonissos is beautiful with stunning views of the blue Aegean at almost every turn and there are places to walk all over the island, we have a guidebook but others are available too. Shop wise Patiteri has a wide range most essentials plus fresh foods, a bank, pharmacies, post office, first aid and excursion/travel offices plus there are small shops in Chora including a bakery during summer months. Some cafes and tavernas have free wifi and English papers are available at the newsagent in Patiteri. There are diving centres at Patiteri and Steni Valla. During late Spring through Summer into early Autumn most facilities are open, however if you come outside the season, you'll still get a friendly welcome from the island, shops in Patiteri will be open but you may be restricted as to which tavernas will be open.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Prices are in UK pounds per week.
Discuss at time of booking. Usually arrive after 16.00 and vacate the property by 10.00
Notes on prices:
Outside the months of June/July/August/September we will consider shorter bookings.
Prices for these, at time of booking.
25% deposit on confirmation.
Then 2 equal instalments 60 days and 30 days before commencement of booked period.
If booking at short notice then whole of payment is due at confirmation of booking.
£100 refundable deposit is due with the last instalment and will be refunded through UK
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“There are amazing views from our house and it has a spacious feeling. It's an easy house to go back to and just start to relax. It's within easy walking distance of amenities and a good beach so you don't need a car. As we like walking we like the fact that we can find nice walks from the house but sometimes hire a car to explore more remote reaches of the island and visit friends. If you want a lazy day, you can sit outside in shade or sun on different sides of the house as the day progresses.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Stereo ...
- non smoking only
- not suitable for children ...
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- near the sea
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- 2 bathrooms, each with shower, toilet, wash basin, towel rails.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, king size bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, day bed pulls out to make a double bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with king size bed, wardrobes, ceiling fan, mosquito net(hardly ever needed!). Bedroom 2 with Daybed that converts to a double, wardrobes, and mosquito net. Floor standing fan provided.
- Balcony ...
- Notes on accommodation: Because this has been a 'get away' holiday house our home is comfortably but minimally furnished. We don't have a TV or radio nor wifi, although some cafes and tavernas in Chora and Patiteri offer free wifi access to customers. We do have books and board games though! Sorry but the house is not suitable nor is it equipped for children. For cooler periods there are some free standing heaters, some wall heaters and an open fire place. Not suitable for rental in the cold months. Outside: Enjoy the peace of the south facing garden accessed by steps down from the balcony outside the dining area. A productive lemon tree, an olive tree, bright bougainvillea that weaves itself over a pergola shading the private sitting and bar b q area and up the face of the house and always vivid geraniums. The Bar B Q is a permanent and built in traditional Greek style. On the other side of the house, the entrance gates lead into a secluded paved patio area bordered by narrow garden and shaded by a large fig tree. Here, wash out swimming and snorkelling gear in the outside stone sink or grab a chair and take time out with a book! There are lines and pegs for hand washing and towels. A variety of folding chairs and small tables for outdoor use. Utility Room: Not available Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Basic bed linen and towels are provided but bring beach towels. There are Tea towels/ hand towels in the kitchen. Bedding/towels will be changed weekly. The house is cleaned between stays. Other: The quiet sun room holds books, some games and a CD/Tape player and is divided from the living area by voile curtains. It overlooks the garden with views beyond. Front door opens into an enclosed hallway with hanging spaces and shoe rack.