Saddle Tor and Chinkwell Tor are 5*(Visit England) Holiday Cottages nr Widecombe in the Moor, Dartmoor. Devon, England. Idyllic, Peaceful Location great for exploring Dartmoor and more.
HOLWELL HOLIDAY COTTAGES ideally located for discovering Dartmoor and surrounding area. Stay in one of the three immaculate cottages that have been lovingly and tastefully converted from barns to luxury holiday cottages. CHINKWELL TOR (sleeps 6) - 5* Visit England rated, has 2 king sized and 1 double bedroom with two bathrooms. HOUND TOR (sleeps 6) - (not currently rated by Visit England), has one king size bedroom, two small double plus one ensuite shower room and family bathroom. SADDLE TOR (sleeps 8) - 5* Visit England rated, has 4 large bedrooms (3 king sized, 1 twin which can convert to a king size) with 4 bathrooms. Each retains its unique character and charm with the ultimate in home comforts and surroundings that are truly breath-taking. The living accommodation of each cottage is laid out in open plan form to ensure maximum feeling of space, light, views and that no one is feeling left out of it in the kitchen! All cottages have as standard wood burning stoves, Lady Sandyford Range Cookers with twin hobs and ovens, dishwashers, washing machines/dryer, integrated fridge/freezers, WiFi, TV/DVDs etc. Family and dog friendly.
Location perfect for beautiful walks, drives and climbing Tors. There are several really good family friendly pubs and cafe's within walking and short driving distance. You always know that your children will sleep well at Holwell because the air is so pure and they will be so exhausted from their hikes etc. Holwell is a place where all the family can have a fun and relaxing time. There are so many natural pursuits to enjoy that don't cost any more money. One of the activities that is available all year round on Dartmoor is fly fishing. You can choose from the tributaries of the River Dart on the high moor where the water first rises to the wider reaches down near Totnes. Holwell is home to a varied and rich wildlife. Flora and fauna greet you at every turn. On Dartmoor there is really something for everyone. Gentle strolls along easily navigated paths combine with more ambitious hiking routes which will keep you going for up to a day at a time. The Dartmoor National Park offers a really great Guided Walk service and we can arrange for a Park Ranger to take you for walks in advance of your stay. Certainly a “greener” approach to getting about on your visit to Dartmoor. We can hire in cycles for the whole family that are here for your arrival and duration of stay. The location is also ideal for day trips to Torquay, Paignton, the Eden project etc. Something for everyone at Holwell Holiday Cottages.
Details for holiday cottage SADDLE TOR, 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, 4 Bathrooms
Saddle Tor is one of our newest cottages at Holwell, being completed just before Christmas 2007. It has been converted from the original Threshing Barn and has a feature ground floor bedroom built in what was the old "Round House".
This is one of the largest cottages at Holwell and boasts four large bedrooms, three with king-size beds and one twin bedroom. Ensuite shower/bathroom per bedroom.
The cottage is in the upper part of the yard configuration and has parking directly outside the cottage and a garden area inside a granite wall with breath-taking views over to the famous landmark of Hay Tor. Central Heating Log Burning Stove dishwasher.
Inside, Saddle Tor has a huge open-plan kitchen/dining/living room with a central vaulted ceiling across which spans a galleried landing connecting the two upper floor bedrooms. Central Heating Log Burning Stove dishwasher
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Horse riding facilities on Dartmoor provided by nearby Liberty Trails. They offer a unique range of options for riders and non-riders alike.
Guided Walk service and we can arrange for a Park Ranger to take you for walks in advance of your stay.
We can hire in cycles for the whole family that are here for your arrival and duration of stay.
New from Holwell this Spring – Valley of Combes Tea Ride on Electric Bikes !! Specifically for weekends (though weekdays may be possible by special arrangement) the rides cater for groups of 4 – 6 people. The duration is about two hours, and can be morning or afternoon.
Mothercombe Beach in the South Hams, 30 minutes away.
• Nearest Train Station; Newton Abbot 12.8 miles
• BY CAR: Exit A38 at Drumbridges Roundabout for Trago Mills. Proceed Bovey Tracey at exit roundabout. Through Traffic Lights to next roundabout. Straight ahead towards Town Centre. Next roundabout first exit left onto B3387 towards Hay Tor. 1/3 mile take left turn to Hay Tor. Keep on the main Widecombe road for a further half mile, take the turning on your right signposted Hound Tor. ½ mile on turn right into the Holwell Drive.
2.1 miles from Widecombe in the Moor (well know for its annual Widecombe Fair), 5 miles from Bovey Tracey (the Gateway to the Moor), 5 miles to the ancient stannery town of Ashburton, 7 miles to Newton Abbot (market town on the river Teign). Visit the famous Cider Press Centre just outside Dartington and catch the steam train to Tones from Buckfastleigh and boat to Dartmouth.
• The Rugglestone in Widecombe itself. Good home-cooked food. No frills !
• The Old Inn, Widecombe. Chain pub (Hall & Woodhouse) but friendly staff and nice garden.
• The Rock at Haytor. Very good food so ideal for a restaurant meal.
• The Moorland Hotel at Haytor. Nice bar area for daytime snacks, coffees etc if you are walking up Hay Tor.
• Ullacombe Farm Shop. Very good and has a café for daytime too.
• Bovey Tracey – The Brookside is friendly for something if you are around in town or for something a bit different, visit the Marble House; food good here. Good Deli in Bovey so you can put together a wonderful picnic and even a cream tea. They have a Cheese Shop too. Great Fish & Chip shop up the high street. Lloyd Maunder butchers sell Dartmoor beef and lamb.
• Ashburton – Number 14 – good for a glass of wine and a light bite. Featured in the Good Food Guide. Ashburton Cookery School; they do day courses or longer and a wide range. Great bakery, Fish Deli and Indian Take Away here.
Outlying village pubs ;
• Lustleigh – The Cleave; picture-postcard village with pub next to a wonderful cricket ground with garden and very good food; heaven!
• Chagford – 22 Mill Street for restaurant food.
• Gidleigh Park, Chagford – 2 Michelin Stars and a real dining experience
• Bovey Castle – closer at Moretonhampstead
• The Oyster Shack – low key environment near Bigbury Beach in South Hams but our favourite for the best fresh shellfish from Devon; whole crab and lobster to die for !
Shopping / Dining Experiences combined;
• Dartington Cider Press centre, Dartington; wonderful shopping and good eating options 20 mins away.
• Exeter – the most exciting shopping experience in South West.
• Plymouth – choose from several celebrity chefs including Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s Canteen and Gary Rhodes in the King William Yard
A Day Trip;
• If you are off to Eden or into Cornwall, we always recommend a detour down to Padstow for a visit to Rick Stein’s
- Booking Notes:
Bookings for 2 weeks benefit from a 10% discount. Rates are fully inclusive of all Linen, Towels, Welcome Packs (1 week min.), arrival logs, and power. Check in is from 4pm onwards and departure by 10am. Full payment is required on bookings taken within 12 weeks of arrival date. Non refundable deposit of £250, per week on bookings over 12 weeks prior to arrival dates. Balances taken 12 weeks prior to arrival.
The start dates listed are Fridays, however we are flexible on the arrival and departure dates wherever possible, so please ask us.
Notes on prices:
Discount of 10% on bookings of 2 weeks.
Short Breaks of 3 nights minimum available other than periods of public or school holidays from £150.00 to £175.00 per night.
- Available arrival
- pets considered
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Ample car parking, is provided at Holwell Holiday Cottages. Lawned area with outdoor furniture, barbecue.