Farmhouse in Neuffons, Nr. Monsegur, Gironde, Aquitaine, France
This old Girondine is an excellent example of a Maison De Maitre with spacious and airy proportions and beautifully furnished. The south facing terrace extends length of house and as at crest of hill gives on to 8 acres of our land extending to lovely views and ideal dining out and leads onto the gated pool. (with tennis and fishing nearby) There is an established garden and a variety of trees,cypresses, maples, poplars,walnuts, cherry trees. The 6 bedrooms all on first floor are fully furnished and a distinguished stone staircase leads to the to the bedrooms and bathrooms - all with loos!. The house is equipped with WiFi, television, dozens of games and puzzles, 100's of books and many family portraits -along with an old upright piano - relatively in tune! The dining room seats 12 as does the kitchen. Gas Cooker, 2 fridges, washing machine and dish washing machine, cupboards. Two historic towns nearby for shopping, markets, culture (an excellent cinema!) very good restaurants and cafes, a bank,newspaper shop, boulangerie, physiotherapist, doctor and dentist.
Top Traveller Review
A charming house
About the Owner
We are a couple who pend part of the year in London and part here. Our children have grown up loving this house and we have had many years entertaining our friends and family as there are so many attractions: The Romanesque Churches, the nationally acclaimed Jazz Festival and dozens of events. It is so easy to reach. Mrs. Maxwell has written two books on the region - Entre Deux Mers, Paradise Restored and a book on Neuffons. Mr. Maxwell is a consultant having been an NGO in Bosnia, Iraq,Afghanistan and Sudan.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'What a pleasure it has been to spend a month in this very special house. Everyone who came here loved it. The perfect setting,' RE
'Two wonderfully peaceful weeks. the garden was perfect for playing pirates..especially liked climbing trees.' AN
'What an enchanting house. We've had an extremely enjoyable week in the garden, lots of delicious suppers outside and expeditions to St Emilion.'CR
2 holidaymaker reviews
A charming house
I loved my stay here. The house is very elegant with a friendly atmosphere and in a very pretty setting with a large garden with long views over the fields. It is very clean and well maintained but still has a period charm. The owner provided excellent service. There are many interesting things to see in the area and some good restaurants though we enjoyed the house so much we usually dined in. I would certainly recommend it to a friend or relation.
Quintessential French Country Holiday
My husband and I have been to this house four times. Once we took the train from London, once we flew to Bordeaux, once we flew to Toulouse, and once we flew to Bergerac.
The area is extremely beautiful, scenic and pastoral. It is very romantic - spectacular views from one side of the house (the actual house and entrance are quite hidden which makes it more private.)
You would need a car for food shopping and to make the most of this area and sightsee. Nearby is a famous spiritual venue called Plum Village we enjoyed for a few hours one time.
You can eat delicious local food outside at the table under the lovely trees. The tradespeople are very helpful and nice. Local French people we met were always most friendly and informative.
The property is very spacious so can accommodate a lot of people. It was a working farm, so has many fruit trees, lavender and other plants.
The house reflects the intellectual, cultured, generous owners, so the home has a mix of elegant and family things creating a relaxing, welcoming environment.
This is a well loved home with character.
There is a fenced swimming pool which for me is a huge plus on holiday. We also enjoyed some nearby walks.
I recommend this property.
From the Owner
“We bought this property 16 years ago. We loved this part of the world both culturally and in terms of entertainment. It was so easy to reach and so unspoiled. It is the genuine 'France Profonde'.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
There are drawing classes nearby and those interested in music, many musical evenings, in churches and of course in Bordeaux with the world renowned theatre.There are a number of historic chateau near us (Biron for example) and of course our region is arguably the centre and most respected area in the world for wine. For sailing, swimming and riding - all within easy reach and indeed Arcachhon- world renowned as well only an hour away.
The Atlantic coast lies an hour and quarter to the west of our house. Beautiful white sands, dunes and the 'bassin' on one side with oyster beds and mussels and some of the best fish restaurants imaginable. Sailing, swimming or simply sun bathing within easy reach.
We take different routes every year. Budget flights to Bordeaux and Bergerac (1 hour or 45 minutes respectively) Coming from Portsmouth to St. Malo - very civilised - 6 hours from St. Malo, Newhaven Dieppe - a very easy crossing and 8 hours to house.
Bordeaux - 45 miles, Monsegur 6 miles, La Reole 7 miles, St Emilion -30 miles, Arcachon - 65 miles.
In our local town, Monsegur, we have banks, supermarkets, petrol stations, restaurants, cafes, physiotherapists, art instructors, a chocolate shop, a weekly market, 2 bread shops, an excellent cinema (occasionally before reaching London!) a newspaper shop, -all British papers and magazines.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We would ask for references, deposit within 2 months of arrival arrival, we return deposit after inspection within one month. We would like to be paid into our bank at least 3 weeks before arrival.
We have a certain flexibility but where ever possible Saturday seems to be the best.
Notes on prices:
We ask to have the deposit and indeed the amount in our English bank and will provide information when the agreement is reached.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We love the space and quiet and privacy and sense of history.We felt that in an increasingly uniform world, Entre Deux Mers is 'authentic' - totally true to its roots of agriculture. Once you become familiar with the region you realize how many of the people have lived here for generations and how strong are the local ties.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- live theatre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- All bathrooms include loos. 1 bathroom with loo and windows on to lovely views, 2nd bathroom with small window and tiles of tree of life, 3rd bathroom no window but pretty tiles and one downstairs loo. A 4th bathroom available in an adjoining pavilion
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 1 bedroom with 2 single beds, 1 bedroom with antique four poster, 4 bedrooms with double beds.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: This is a family home and we spend much of summer here, so it is well cared for and loved. It has a tremendous atmosphere which only a house loved by its owners can convey Outside: Established gardens and flowers and shrubs abound, over 40 trees on the property and the views extend beyond our property across the valley over to the crest of the hill several miles away. The private pool in conveniently near the house 10x5 and is fenced in. There is ample outdoor furniture, tables, chairs and chaise lounges, and a barbecue available for those who like to cook outside. Utility Room: Small adjoining utility room but really here for equipment for gardener and cleaner. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: We have Saturday changeover. You will be provided with linen and towels. But if further cleaning required can be arranged at 12E an hour.We can provide a cleaner after you leave if you prefer, but that will of course be charged by the hour as well and if Other: Dining room with steel designer table seats 10 comfortably, 12 at a push. Windows onto terrace with family portrait and paintings of chateau in Brittany.