Bramley Yurt - Sleeps 4 (1 Bedroom)
Bramley is one of our 3 yurts nestled within a 4 acre apple orchard. This is glamping at its finest - with all the essentials you need whilst on holiday, all you need to bring is some food and drink. There is a superiorly comfortable double bed, a day bed which doubles up as a single, twin or double bed and can be used as sofa during the day, a small kitchen area with gas stove and a dining table with chairs. Linen and towels are provided along with torches, lanturns and candles. Outside there is a picnic table and charcoal BBQ to enjoy those warm summer nights. Just a short stroll away, over the stream is the Facilities Lodge which houses Bramley's own private bathroom and a communal kitchen with a fridge, 2 freezers, mini oven, kettle and toaster. We do not allow dogs in Bramley but we do dogs in our other two yurts, Pippin and Russet. Please see our website for further information and availability for these yurts.
The Orchard Retreat is perfectly placed for rural break in the heart of Devon, surrounded by fantastic countryside with many wonderful things to do just on the doorstep. The two cottages (The Cider Barn which sleeps 6 and Apple Tree Cottage which sleeps 4) are within the main courtyard and both have a private garden with outdoor seating and a charcoal BBQ. Each cottage comes fully equipped with all you need for the perfect holiday - a home away from home, with all the mod cons including Wi-Fi, satellite television, DVD player and a dishwasher in the kitchen. Towels and linen are also provided as part of the price. Set apart from the cottages, the yurts are nestled within a four acre orchard with just a short stroll over the stream to the Facilities Lodge, which houses a private bathroom for each yurt and further communal kitchen facilities. Both cottages and yurt guests are free to wander the 15 acres of land with its treehouse / play area (2 swings, slide, climbing rope & tree house) streams, meadows and wood. Play pooh sticks in the streams, hide and seek in the woods and have a picnic in the meadow or just relax and enjoy the peace - The Orchard Retreat really does enable you to get back to nature in ultimate comfort. At night the stars are just amazing - take time to look up and take them in, you may even see a shooting star or two! As well as exploring the region by car, Mid Devon is ideal for cycling and walking, so bring a bike or enjoy many of the public footpaths available. For days out, Exeter is just a 20 minute drive; where you will find many restaurants, bars, great shopping and the award winning Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery (museum of the year 2012). Within an hours drive you can be at the North or South coast - take your pick of a variety of beautiful beaches, retuning to the countryside for a little rest and relaxation time. Both Dartmoor and Exmoor are also a short distance away and full of adventure. Whatever you choose to do, The Orchard Retreat is an ideal place to start.
About the Owner
About Vicky & Nick Ritchens
Having spent many years being lucky enough to live & travel abroad, my husband & I realised we wanted to base ourselves in the UK. Devon became a favourite of ours, with its rolling countryside & proximity to the coast plus having family here meant it was the perfect place to move & begin our dream of running holiday cottages & setting up yurt camp. We fell in love with 'glamping' after staying a yurt in the Lake District - there is something really wonderful about sleeping under canvas whilst in a real bed. As soon as we saw it, we realised East Forde Farm was the place to do this and to share it with guests, who we are confident will love it as much as we do, is just perfect. You really can get back to nature here, relax & unwind & we can't wait to see you here soon. Vicky, Nick, Maddy & Moon the dog
Vicky & Nick Ritchens purchased this cabin in 2013
Why Vicky & Nick Ritchens chose Mid Devon
East Forde Farm worked for us in so many ways - with a family home, two cottages and land in a peaceful location just outside a village. Plus many amenities within an easy drive, set East Forde Farm apart from other properties we had viewed in Devon. It's a beautiful drive just 20 minutes from the M5 and even though the town of Exeter is twenty minutes away, it feels so rural. It all fell into place and we decided this was the place for us and our guests.
What makes this cabin unique
We have stayed in many holiday cottages, but to stay where you not only have a private garden but access to 15 acres of varied land is something really special. With a wood with honey bees, a mature apple orchard, meadows and pathways joining them all together The Orchard Retreat here at East Forde Farm really is a destination in itself.
We offer 3, 4 and 7 nights stays, Friday to Monday, Monday to Friday and Friday to Friday (two night weekend breaks are considered in the yurts so please ask about this when making an enquiry). We are also happy to take group bookings and ask for a £500 damage waiver for these. We take a non refundable 25% deposit at the time of booking with the balance due within 5 weeks of your stay.
Yurt season March - October.
Change over days are Mondays and Fridays with check in from 3.30pm (please let us know if you are arriving after 6pm) and check out with strictly by 10.30am on the day of departure.
Cottages available all year round, Yurt season March - October.
From the Owner
“East Forde Farm worked for us in so many ways - with a family home, two cottages and land in a peaceful location just outside a village. Plus many amenities within an easy drive, set East Forde Farm apart from other properties we had viewed in Devon. It's a beautiful drive just 20 minutes from the M5 and even though the town of Exeter is twenty minutes away, it feels so rural. It all fell into place and we decided this was the place for us and our guests.”
Activity and Interests
Both the North and South Coasts can be accessed within an hours drive, so take your pick from a variety of Devon's fine beaches. Lynton and Lynmouth is lovely with its cliff railway taking you from the beach to the town, the views from the train are spectacular and you can even take your dog on there. Saunton Sands is a surfers paradise and beautiful beach to walk, swim and relax. Situated just over an hour away this is must visit beach and has a shop and restaurant there.
Tiverton M5 to The Orchard Retreat is a 20 minute drive through stunning scenery.
Exeter St Davids Train station is a 20 minute drive (9 miles)
Exeter Airport is a 40 minute drive (17 miles)
1/2 a mile away is the village of Cheriton Fitzpaine which has a village shop & pub.
We highly recommend the village pub, The Ring of Bells - it's just a 20 minute walk from The Orchard Retreat, offering lovely locally sourced food & local beers and ales & a really imaginative menu.
Thornes Farm shop is just next door (about an 8 minute walk) which has an in house café & plenty of lovely local produce.
Exeter is a 20 minute drive with a wealth of shops, cafes & restaurants to choose from.
Crediton is the nearest town, just a 10 minute drive away. Here you will find some lovely little boutiques, a fantastic coffee house, a farmers market, banks and two major supermarkets.
From the Owner
“We have stayed in many holiday cottages, but to stay where you not only have a private garden but access to 15 acres of varied land is something really special. With a wood with honey bees, a mature apple orchard, meadows and pathways joining them all together The Orchard Retreat here at East Forde Farm really is a destination in itself.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- Games ...
- Events Allowed
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- The private bathroom is a short stroll from the yurt, which is lockable - there is a heated towel rail, hairdryer, shower, loo and sink with mirror and a useful shelf.
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4
- Yurt - 1 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, Single beds can be made into another double
- The yurt is everything under one roof, in one room, sleeps up to 4 people with a double bed, two single beds, table & chairs, wood burning stove, kitchenette with cooking facilities
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: All of our accommodations have been furnished to a high standard with everything you need for a rural break. A lovely mix of the old & new, up-cycled and recycled – something to suit all tastes. Both cottages & all yurts come with a fully equipped kitchen area so that all you need to bring is food and drink & your loved ones. Each has a further information manual, fire safety equipment & we have leaflets for many local attractions available. We also have a communal barn, The Gallery, for the yurts (available to cottage guests in during the yurt season) with sofas, games & books - it has a laundry room available all year round for cottage guests. Introduced from March 2015 is a small shop selling some locally sourced & made items including charcoal, coffee & soap along with a few other bits. Please note this is not a fully equipped shop so all essentials should be brought with you. We do provide washing up liquid and dishwasher powder, torches and candles where applicable. Outside: Both cottages have their own private garden with picnic table and charcoal BBQ. The yurts also have a picnic table and charcoal BBQ each. The Orchard Retreat is set in 15 acres of private land and all guests have free reign to enjoy the meadows, wood and streams. There is a pretty pond in the orchard which is also accessed by the meadow. For guest safety, this currently is out of bounds as the bridge is unsafe and needs some maintenance. Lovely bridges span the stream which runs throughout the property and the wood has a wide variety of trees as well as housing our resident honey bees. Please do take a walk to see the bees, but be mindful of their setting so they can carry on their good work making delicious honey. There are lovely picnic spots - so enjoy a relaxing picnic and take in the countryside, just perfect.