Barn, Cottage and Cabin in Cheriton Fitzpaine, Nr. Crediton, Mid Devon, England - Beautiful Rural Location With Dartmoor, Exmoor & The North & South Coasts All Easily Accessible
The Orchard Retreat is perfectly placed for rural break in the heart of Devon, surrounded by fantastic countryside with many wonderful things to do just on the doorstep. The two cottages (The Cider Barn which sleeps 6 and Apple Tree Cottage which sleeps 4) are within the main courtyard and both have a private garden with outdoor seating and a charcoal BBQ. Each cottage comes fully equipped with all you need for the perfect holiday - a home away from home, with all the mod cons including Wi-Fi, satellite television and a dishwasher in the kitchen. Towels and linen are also provided as part of the price. Set apart from the cottages, the yurts are nestled within a four acre orchard with just a short stroll over the stream to the Facilities Lodge, which houses a private bathroom for each yurt and further communal kitchen facilities. Both cottages and yurts have free reign to wander most of the 15 acres of land with its treehouse / play area (2 swings, slide, climbing rope & tree house) streams, meadows and wood. Play pooh sticks in the streams, hide and seek in the woods and have a picnic in the meadow or just relax and enjoy the peace - The Orchard Retreat really does enable you to get back to nature in ultimate comfort. At night the stars are just amazing - take time to look up and take them in, you may even see a shooting star or two! As well as exploring the region by car, Mid Devon is ideal for cycling and walking, so bring a bike or enjoy many of the public footpaths available. For days out, Exeter is just a 20 minute drive; where you will find many restaurants, bars, great shopping and the award winning Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery (museum of the year 2012). Within an hours drive you can be at the North or South coast - take your pick of a variety of beautiful beaches, retuning to the countryside for a little rest and relaxation time. Both Dartmoor and Exmoor are also a short distance away and full of adventure. Whatever you choose to do, The Orchard Retreat is an ideal place to start.
Details for holiday barn The Cider Barn - Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms), 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, 2 Bathrooms
Set within the main courtyard & just a short distance from the family farmhouse, The Cider Barn offers most accommodation on one level, with oak floorboards leading you from the open plan living space to two double bedrooms (one on-suite) & the family bathroom. Upstairs there is a large dorm style room with one double bed and one single bed - a great place for the kids. The kitchen includes all the mod cons including a dishwasher combined in the oven. There is Wi-Fi available & a television with free-sat & linen and towels are included. To keep warm The Cider Barn has a wood burning stove which also doubles up as the heating system so you really will experience a slice of eco living at its best. Wood is freely available during your stay so please help yourself from the wood store in the private garden where you will find a BBQ and seating area. Hot water is available all day by way of an immersion heater. One well behaved dog is welcome but please bring their basket.
About the Owner
Having spent many years being lucky enough to live & travel abroad, my husband & I realised we wanted to base ourselves in the UK. Devon became a favourite of ours, with its rolling countryside & proximity to the coast plus having family here meant it was the perfect place to move & begin our dream of running holiday cottages & setting up yurt camp. We fell in love with 'glamping' after staying a yurt in the Lake District - there is something really wonderful about sleeping under canvas whilst in a real bed. As soon as we saw it, we realised East Forde Farm was the place to do this and to share it with guests, who we are confident will love it as much as we do, is just perfect. You really can get back to nature here, relax & unwind & we can't wait to see you here soon. Vicky, Nick, Maddy & Moon the dog
Guestbook comments from the owner
We're just back from The Orchard Retreat and we miss it so much we want to book again - the kids loved it, quickly turning native and taking off to paddle in the stream, climbing trees and making 'sculptures' from sticks and totally enjoying the freedom that we felt happy and secure enough to let them have. The bed was more comfortable than our own and the yurt was very well equipped with everything you'd need provided, even a salad bowl and servers!
We stayed here on the 'opening' weekend 2014 and took a chance, having never stayed in a Yurt before. We have been camping as a family, but wanted to do something different over the bank holiday weekend. The owners are friends, so we thought we would give it a try. If you have ever been to rural France, this is what it reminds me of. It is so quiet and what I loved the most was seeing the stars in the clear sky. We live in Brighton, so rarely see the stars because of the light pollution, so really appreciate this small things.
Please see our Tripadvisor reviews for further feedback which we hope you enjoy and get a good sense of what we offer here at The Orchard Retreat.
From the Owner
“East Forde Farm worked for us in so many ways - with a family home, two cottages and land in a peaceful location just outside a village. Plus many amenities within an easy drive, set East Forde Farm apart from other properties we had viewed in Devon. It's a beautiful drive just 20 minutes from the M5 and even though the town of Exeter is twenty minutes away, it feels so rural. It all fell into place and we decided this was the place for us and our guests.”
Activity and Interests
Both the North and South Coasts can be accessed within an hours drive, so take your pick from a variety of Devon's fine beaches. Lynton and Lynmouth is lovely with its cliff railway taking you from the beach to the town, the views from the train are spectacular and you can even take your dog on there. Saunton Sands is a surfers paradise and beautiful beach to walk, swim and relax. Situated just over an hour away this is must visit beach and has a shop and restaurant there.
Tiverton M5 to The Orchard Retreat is a 20 minute drive through stunning scenery.
Exeter St Davids Train station is a 20 minute drive (9 miles)
Exeter Airport is a 40 minute drive (17 miles)
1/2 a mile away is the village of Cheriton Fitzpaine which has a village shop & pub.
We highly recommend the village pub, The Ring of Bells - it's just a 20 minute walk from The Orchard Retreat, offering lovely locally sourced food & local beers and ales & a really imaginative menu.
Thornes Farm shop is just next door (about an 8 minute walk) which has an in house café & plenty of lovely local produce.
Exeter is a 20 minute drive with a wealth of shops, cafes & restaurants to choose from.
Crediton is the nearest town, just a 10 minute drive away. Here you will find some lovely little boutiques, a fantastic coffee house, a farmers market, banks and two major supermarkets.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
October half term
15 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Low season 2016
29 Oct 2016 - 15 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
16 Dec 2016 - 2 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We offer 3, 4 and 7 nights stays, Friday to Monday, Monday to Friday and Friday to Friday. We are happy to take group bookings and ask for a £500 damage waiver for these. We take a non refundable 25% deposit at the time of booking with the balance due within 5 weeks of your stay.
Cottages available all year round
Change over days are Mondays and Fridays with check in from 3.30pm (please let us know if you are arriving after 6pm) and check out with strictly by 10.30am on the day of departure.
Cottages available all year round, Yurt season March - October.
25% deposit upon booking with the balance due 5 weeks before your stay. If you book within 5 weeks of your stay then 100% of payment is due. Payment by bank transfer to The Orchard Retreat. Details will be emailed when booking has been confirmed.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We have stayed in many holiday cottages, but to stay where you not only have a private garden but access to 15 acres of varied land is something really special. With a wood with honey bees, a mature apple orchard, meadows and pathways joining them all together The Orchard Retreat here at East Forde Farm really is a destination in itself.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Game Room ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Television ...
- Events Allowed
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- En-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En-suite bathroom to main double
- Family bathroom - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Traditional roll top bath
- One bathroom is en-suite to the main downstairs double room with loo, sink & shower and the other is a family bathroom which has a loo, sink & traditional roll top bath but no shower.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - en-suite - 1 Double Bed, Large room with hanging space and chest of draws
- Bedroom 2 - downstairs double - 1 Double Bed, Has hanging and folding space in lovely ornate rack
- Large Attic Room - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, This room has a sofa, sink & wardrobe
- All bedrooms have a standard double bed with 1000 pocket sprung mattresses. There is a hairdryer available in the main downstairs double and all bedrooms have hanging and folding space. Blankets are also provided for each bed!
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: All of our accommodations have been furnished to a high standard with everything you need for a rural break. A lovely mix of the old & new, up-cycled and recycled – something to suit all tastes. Both cottages & all yurts come with a fully equipped kitchen area so that all you need to bring is food and drink & your loved ones. Each has a further information manual, fire safety equipment & we have leaflets for many local attractions available. We also have a communal barn, The Gallery, for the yurts (available to cottage guests in during the yurt season) with sofas, games & books - it has a laundry room available all year round for cottage guests. Introduced from March 2015 is a small shop selling some locally sourced & made items including charcoal, coffee & soap along with a few other bits. Please note this is not a fully equipped shop so all essentials should be brought with you. We do provide washing up liquid and dishwasher powder, torches and candles where applicable. Outside: Both cottages have their own private garden with picnic table and charcoal BBQ. The yurts also have a picnic table and charcoal BBQ each. The Orchard Retreat is set in 15 acres of private land and all guests have free reign to enjoy the meadows, wood and streams. There is a pretty pond in the orchard which is also accessed by the meadow. For guest safety, this currently is out of bounds as the bridge is unsafe and needs some maintenance. Lovely bridges span the stream which runs throughout the property and the wood has a wide variety of trees as well as housing our resident honey bees. Please do take a walk to see the bees, but be mindful of their setting so they can carry on their good work making delicious honey. There are lovely picnic spots - so enjoy a relaxing picnic and take in the countryside, just perfect.