Barn in Blackawton, near Dartmouth, South Devon, England - Peaceful location, minutes from the coast
Stay at Big Barn, South Devon
Set in stunning South Devon countryside close to Dartmouth.
Architecturally dramatic with a vast comfortable living space, 5 sumptuous double bedrooms, a games room, private garden and drive. An outstanding place to celebrate, relax and holiday with friends and family.
The impact of the interior is immediate, a large open plan space with a long dining room table, a sleek granite kitchen, oak beam vaulted ceilings, big relaxing sofas and a state of the art wood burner.
The 4 downstairs bedrooms are individually and creatively decorated. Each with an adjoining bathroom/wet room, huge comfortable Louis XV1 and Victorian ironwork beds, sumptuous mattresses, pillows and bed linen. A spiral staircase leads up to the 5th bedroom 'Crows Nest' on the mezzanine level.
The garden offers a barbecue terrace, games room, secure enclosed play area and ample parking.
Dartmouth, Totnes, Kingsbridge and the South Devon coastline are just minutes away, Dartmoor and Salcombe are also within a short drive.
About the Owner
Caroline Murray is the owner of Big Barn and Larcombe Farm.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"An amazing couple of days, wish we could have stayed longer. Fab, fab Barn. Thank you to our wonderful hosts."
"Thank you Caroline, Big Barn is amazing and so well equipped, you have thought of everything! We have had a wonderful time here, family & friends. We did ‘play’ come dine with me and didn’t feel the need to go out! (Apart from our 3 ½ hour walk!) A New Year not to forget, we hope to return again one day!"
"On behalf of all of us, thank you so much. We had an amazing time, riotous partying, bracing walks, games of ping pong/ table tennis, relaxing in the enormous baths… A fabulous way to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. A truly stunning place. If you ever get tired of farming, you have an interior design career to fall back on. A million thanks Caroline."
From the Owner
“I bought Larcombe Farm in 2004, having grown up on a Devon family farm I was missing the lifestyle! Arriving at Larcombe for the first time I knew that I had come home. Larcombe is a rare and magical place, it was a big project, and happily it turned into a labour of love. Making the Farm House inhabitable was the first challenge, embarking on the barn conversion in 2005 was even more daunting! Big Barn evolved, being converted from Larcombe’s giant threshing barn, by the end of 2007 Big Barn was ready for guests. Big Barn has subsequently appeared in a number of publications including Homes and Garden Magazine and also features in the pages of design and coffee table books.”
Activity and Interests
With the beautiful South Devon coastline on your doorstep there is plenty to see and do. The area offers a wealth of safe, clean beaches, perfect for swimming, surfing, wind surfing, water skiing, sailing, canoeing and fishing.
Given Big Barn's rural location a car is essential to get around.
The nearest airport is Exeter Airport (40 miles)
The nearest train station is in Totnes (10 miles)
The nearest villages are:
Blackawton (1.4 miles)
East Allington (2.6 miles)
The nearest towns are:
Kingsbridge (6 miles)
Dartmouth (7.4 miles)
Totnes (10 miles)
Salcombe (12.3 miles)
The nearest Cities are:
Plymouth (25 miles)
Exeter (38 miles)
The nearest beaches are:
Slapton Sands - a long stretch of pebbled beach, great for fishing and watersports (4 miles)
Blackpool Sands - voted the UK’s best family beach by Conde Nast Traveller readers (5 miles)
There are several beautiful coastal and market Towns nearby, home to some fabulous restaurants. For a full list of our favourite places please visit our website or contact us.
As well as the beautiful beaches and excellent restaurants there are plenty of other leisure activities the South Hams has to offer including: Paignton Zoo, Woodlands Leisure Park, Pennywell Farm, Dart Adventures, coastal walks and several wonderful National Trust Houses, including Agatha Christie's house Greenway.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
October Half Term
21 Oct 2016 - 27 Oct 2016
Changeover Day: Friday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
Weekend breaks are available during our low season only (outside of public and school holidays). Please contact us for more information about weekend availability and prices.
Changeover day is Friday.
For weekly bookings:
Arrival is after 4:30pm on Friday
Departure is before 10:30am the following Friday.
For weekend bookings:
Arrival is after 4:30pm on Friday
Departure is any time on Sunday.
Notes on prices:
Prices are based on weekly bookings (Friday-Friday).
Big Barn is also available for longer stays (more than 3 weeks) please contact us for a more info.
A 25% non refundable deposit will be required upon making a booking, with the full balance being due 8 weeks prior to arrival at Big Barn.
We ask for a £300 security deposit against damage/ breakages, due 8 weeks prior to arrival. This will be returned promptly minus any deductions that have been agreed with the owner.
We take BACS payments (unless agreed otherwise).
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Big Barn is situated in the stunning South Hams countryside, ‘an area of outstanding natural beauty’ and is very close to local award winning beaches. Sitting within its own private grounds, Big Barn benefits from Larcombe Farm’s green pastures, offering peace and tranquillity and fun. Close to the towns of Dartmouth, Totnes, Kingsbridge and Salcombe, and within just 1.5 miles of the rural villages of Blackawton and East Allington which have 3 wonderful pubs and a small village shop between them. Big Barn is unquestionably a very special place to stay and I hope you love it as much as I do.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Each bedroom has a modern en-suite bathroom or wet room. The bathrooms have a large bath with an over bath power shower; the wet rooms have rainfall power showers. Each has a heated towel rail, hand basin and loo with soft white bath and hand towels.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Lily: 7 ft wide bed, can be split into 2 singles Disco: 2, 4ft wide beds Indian: 5ft wide four-poster bed Woods 4: 7ft wide bed, can be split into 2 singles Crows Nest: double bed with 2 additional (2ft 6in wide) floor mattresses on slatted bases.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: There is additional bedding, equipment etc for babies and small children including: child stair gates, fire guard, high chairs, cots, bedding for babies. All available by arrangement. *Please note the telephone is for incoming and 999 calls only. There is good internet signal and mobile reception at Big Barn. Outside: Big Barn has a beautiful mown meadow perfect for ball games and running wild, there is a TP swing set and seesaw for younger children accessible from June - October. Alternatively walk for miles in wonderful, private countryside where you will find medieval woods with exciting nooks and crannies to explore. There is a games room across the terrace with plenty of toys for everyone, including pool table, table tennis table, a piano and a darts board. Utility Room: There is a utility room adjacent to the kitchen where you will find a washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer, microwave and additional storage. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen are included. The property is cleaned prior to arrival, for stays longer than 1 week an interim clean will be arranged by the owner. For information about additional cleaning arrangements please contact us. Other: The dining area has a large rustic dining table stretching 11ft across the centre of the room, with seating for up to 12 people.