Lochside Victorian Villa in Kilchrenan, Nr. Oban, Argyll, Scotland with Hot Tub - A unique loch side location and stunning Victorian house in the Western Highlands of Scotland
Achnasmeorach House is a luxury Scottish holiday house with magnificent scenic views and accommodation for up to 10 adults plus 2 children on the edge of Loch Awe. It enjoys an exceptional loch side position with its own private shoreline, jetty, boathouse, slipway and 7 seat hot tub. Surrounded by the dramatic and wonderful scenery of Argyll with magnificent Ben Cruachan as a backdrop and stunning views across Loch Awe, this delightful Victorian holiday house is furnished to a very high standard and offers everything required to create a relaxing and memorable Scottish short break or family vacation. Achnasmeorach House has the space and facilities to for all age groups. With plenty of living space, a wonderful large garden with football goals and play fort for the kids, a games cabin with darts, pool table and competition table football, a hot tub which seats 7 and all in a unique location and all within 12 minutes walk of one of the best Gastro Pubs in the Western Highlands, making it perfect for special occasions, memorable gatherings and short breaks for family and groups of friends. What more could you want? Strictly no pets.
Top Traveller Review
The holiday that had something for everyone!
About the Owner
My wife and I live in central Edinburgh with our 6 teenage and twenty something children. We have owned the house for 14 years now and over the years have enjoyed many happy holidays and short breaks/long weekends with family and friends at this beautiful loch side house. Achnasmeorach House is where we 'get away from it all' and where we chill...and all within 12 minutes walk of one of the best Gastro Pubs in the Western Highlands of Scotland, The Kilchrenan Inn
Guestbook comments from the owner
We had a fantastic week at your beautiful house, it could not have been better for us. You have thoughtfully furnished and equipped it to a fantastic high standard. Our week was a mini-family reunion and Dad kindly footed the bill, at least for the rental! The weather improved through the week and we had a lot of very warm dry weather. We made excellent use of the water and had taken our own double and single kayak. The kids swam a lot off the jetty. We had some good trips down to the Black Islands and in fact on our last day all the way down to Kilchurn Castle. Smith Family. July 2014
The house offered everything that one could imagine for an extended faimily holiday covering 3 generations set against the backdrop of Loch Awe. Even though we were blessed with good weather it wouldn't have mattered as there was something to do regardless. The setting of the house is something to behold. Would have no hesitation in recommending this property. Mrs M Duffus. May 2014
My family stayed for a week starting on the 19th July 2014 and we seemed to time it perfect for the weather. The house itself is perfect in every way with a warm homely feeling in every room. There was more than enough space for us all and the large TV room is great for movie nights. With the great weather we spent most of our time outdoors and the gardens are well tended and very peaceful with beautiful views over the loch. We enjoyed the jetty and boathouse and swam in the loch every day. The jetty is great for jumping in and getting over the cold straight away instead of inching into the water! The 3 kayaks were great fun and there were life vests to fit all sizes. Unfortunately I only got a small amount of fishing time but we used the equipment which was available and it worked perfectly well. After the cold dip in the loch we warmed up in the Jacuzzi Hot Tub and it was great at night with the lights on staring at the stars. My daughter enjoyed the pool table and darts board too. Also handy is the local hotel which is only a 5min walk away so the men enjoyed a bit of peace with a beer and a game of snooker. Oban is only 30min drive to stock up on supplies. All in all it was a great break with superb communication from the owner leading up to the break. We will definitely be back. The Kershaw Family. July 2014
5 based on 16 holidaymaker reviews
The holiday that had something for everyone!
We chose this holiday to accommodate the needs of three generations with different needs and expectations and it really did do just that. There were the four Munros, the kayaks, the games room, to mention a few options for the fit and competitive members of the party and then there was the superb garden, scenery, hot tub, boat trips all of which catered for the less active amongst us. The house itself was amazing, so homely and a perfect place for us all to gather in the evenings and enjoy a meal together. The facilities left us wanting for nothing and there were very generous provisions provided in the kitchen to allow us to cook and even to bake! We made full use of everything in the house and area and even went out to the Island of Easdale by boat, a great success allowing an 82 year old in the party to take part fully! We certainly have many fond memories of our holiday and hope to return in the future. Thank you to the owners who were very helpful from beginning to end!
What an amazing house and location. There were 11 of us spanning 4 generations and there was more than enough space for us all. We all loved Achnasmeorach House. It had something for everyone. We all thoroughly enjoyed the peace and tranquillity, the beautiful house and gardens. The hot tub, games room and kayaks/canoe were a real bonus - it was difficult to get the kids out of them!
We had a couple of things that needed to be arranged, such as a chair for the shower for my elderly grandmother-in-law. But, the owner was kind enough to be available to sort these out immediately, which was very reassuring.
The only downside was that the wifi seemed to be a little temperamental. But, this is a very small niggle (and not even one of mine. The kids shouldn't be on tech when on holiday in the highlands anyway!).
If you do go and wish to hire a boat, Cliff at Loch Awe Boats is a really lovely guy and will collect you from the house's jetty to get the boat and take you back again when the hire period is up. He even threw in a few cups of coffee and ice cream for the kids!
We very much hope to visit again. Maybe next year.
Ideal Holiday Destination
Just came back from this amazing house after a week of luxury. There was everything you could possibly want and more. It was all good quality and well kept. The weather was glorious so the men made use of the canoes and fishing equipment while us ladies watched from the hot tub!!! We booked a ferry over to Islay to visit some distilleries which are well worth a visit. Tobermory was also a nice place to go. All in all we had a wonderful time and would certainly recommend it to friends and relations.
Weekend a loch awe
Fantastic . Immaculate and high spec property . Moored wee boat up for the weekend on own private jetty . Kids loved it, front garden with footy goals is a sheltered sun trap . Huge hot tub great for when Weins tucked up in bed . Sad to leave - kids cried for at least 30 mins on the way home . Would obviously highly recommend and return (especially when the pub 3 mins down the road is refurbished ! )
'Our' Scottish Retreat
What can I say that hasn't been said in the other reviews? This is a very spacious and very well equipped house in a stunning setting. It has a very homely feel, and easily accommodated our family group of 10 this August.
The house had so much to offer and was so peaceful and quiet we didn't feel inclined to go any further, the view of the sunset from the end of the jetty is fantastic. We did however venture over to Mull via the ferry (as foot passengers) from Oban and took a return trip on the service bus to Tobermory, this was a very enjoyable day out. On another day the boys went mountain biking at Fort William which again isn't too far away.
We highly recommend Achnasmeorach House, it is a credit to the owner Scott who was most helpful and a pleasure to deal with. We were very sad to leave and definitely hope to return.
Amazing, fabulous, total luxury!
The house is spectacular, very big, managed to accommodate two families with ample room. Spectacular views to wake up to from the front bedrooms. Luxurious Jacuzzi and the boat house and jetty gave us great fun. We all loved it and want to return as soon as we can.
From the Owner
“The house enjoys an exceptional loch side position with its own private shoreline, jetty, boathouse, slipway and 7 seater hot tub! Surrounded by the dramatic and wonderful scenery of Argyll with magnificent Ben Cruachan as a backdrop and stunning views across Loch Awe, this Victorian house is furnished to an extremely high standard in a contemporary style and offers everything required to create a relaxing and memorable short break or vacation. We are also within walking distance of one of the best pub/restaurants in the West Highlands, which reopened on 15th October 2016 following it's first major refurbishment in over 40 years! The house has the space and facilities for all age groups. With plenty of living space, a wonderful large garden and a unique location making it perfect for special occasions, memorable gatherings and short breaks for groups of family or friends. Over the past few years we have invested heavily in the house making it, in our opinion, one of....if not the most luxurious of Scottish holiday homes currently available on the market as a holiday house. You will not be disappointed.”
Activity and Interests
The house benefits from it's own shoreline with unforgettable views. Day long barbecues and picnics can be enjoyed on the decking around the boathouse and children will delight at the opportunity to jump off the pier or take advantage of the private fishing rights on the loch. The jetty and slipway are ideal for those who wish to bring their own boat. Boats can be rented nearby. 3 Canoes/Kayaks and life jackets are provided for your use as well as some fishing equipment. 2 BBQ's are provided.
A car is not essential but desirable.
Taynuilt train station, which is on the famous West Coast line from Glasgow is only 15 minutes drive away. Taxi collections can be arranged.
Glasgow is 2 hours drive away and Edinburgh 2 hours 20 minutes drive away both through extremely scenic countryside. Why not make this journey part of your holiday by stopping at the various villages and hotels en route.
Kilchrenan Inn - 12 minutes walk. Recently Refuibished top Gastro Pub
4 star, 2 AA Rosette dining, Taychreggan Hotel - 5 minute walk
4 Star, 3 AA dining, Ardenasaig Hotel - 10 minute drive.
Taynuilt village - Hotel/restaurant - 2AA Rosette Dining, tea room, grocers, butchers, Post Office & 9 hole golf course - 15 minute drive.
Oban - Tesco supermarket plus all the usual High Street shops, craft shops, superb fish restaurants, distillery & west coast ferry terminal to Mull etc - 30 minute drive.
Dunstaffnage Marina & restaurant - 20 minute drive.
Fishing available on the loch. No permit required.
We provide 2 Kayaks and one Canadian style canoe plus various life jackets, all for the use of the guests to be used at their own risk.
Sky TV inc Sky Sports
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
15 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
29 Oct 2016 - 23 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
24 Dec 2016 - 30 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
31 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£350|
Please visit our web site www.achnasmeorachhouse.co.uk or contact the owner on 07836 705109
Usually a Saturday however we can be very flexible depending on house availability.
Notes on prices:
Please contact us for special short break rates or for last minute deals. We can usually be very flexible.
30% deposit required at time of booking with the balance plus security deposit due and payable 12 weeks prior to arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The stunning views, the shoreline and the magnificent scenery are what make the situation of this house truly unique. On the one hand it is in a relatively remote location offering peace and quiet, however the house is only a short walk from the village centre and the newly refurbished Kilchrenan Inn, a unique gastro pub with over 50 covers plus a wonderful bar fully stocked with your favourite Scottish Gins and Whiskies The house is also close by the Taychreggan Hotel which offers a 2 AA Rosette dining experience. The Ardenasaig Hotel, which offers a 3 AA Rosette dining experience is only a 5 minute drive away and Taynuilt Hotel (2AA Rosette) is 10 minutes drive away. The nearest village, Taynuilt has a train station, a 9 hole golf course, Post Office, tea room, Taynuilt Hotel (excellent restaurant/pub 2AA), grocers and butchers is a 15 minute drive. The nearest main town, Oban has great shops including a Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Homebase, Argos, New Look, Boots, Specsavers, Waterstons Books, WH Smith, Costa Coffee, Wetherspoons plus many other local shops. The town also boasts the Oban Distillery, a harbour, the main Ferry terminal to the Hebridian Islands, a train station, swimming pool, a micro brewery, and an 18 hole golf course. Oban is also has some amazing restaurants and calls itself the Sea Food Capital of Scotland. Oban airport is less than half an hours drive away giving quick and inexpensive access by plane to many of the inner and outer hebridean Islands.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Table Football
- Game Room
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub ...
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower Room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Twin wash hand basins
- Master En Suite Bathroom - Bath, Shower, wc and whb Main Bathroom - Cast iron roll top bath, separate rain shower, wc and whb Ground Floor bathroom - separate power shower, wc & whb Ground Floor WC
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, Large double bedroom with view over loc. Wash hand basin
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, Large double bedroom with view, dressing room and en suite.
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, Twin bedroom with wash hand basin
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, Twin bunk room with views to loch. Beds suitable for adults.
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Large Double Bed, Large double/twin with Juliette balcony and view to hill
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 Adults (5 Bedrooms) and 2 children (put-me-ups) Notes on bedrooms: Master Bedroom - King Size Bed. Loch View. Dressing room/en suite with large shower and twin wash hand basins. Bedroom 2 - Double Bed with sink. Loch View Bedroom 3 -Twin Beds with sink. Bedroom 4 -Large double/Twin Beds. Hill View Bedroom 5 - Two full sized (adult) built in cabin/bunk beds. Loch View
- Balcony ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Notes on accommodation: The elegant and richly decorated Drawing Room has sumptuous seating and a wood burning stove with doors opening onto a delightful and comfortably furnished Garden Room boasting stunning loch views. French doors lead to the front terrace with BBQ and garden - perfect for summertime drinks and barbecues.The large superbly equipped open-plan kitchen/dining room provide the ideal space for gathering. With an open fire at one end and a AGA at the other, this inviting room is warm and welcoming throughout the seasons. The large table with spectacular views across Loch Awe. For those wishing to play games or watch TV there is a second Family Room. The original sweeping staircase gives a traditional Scottish country house ambience and all the bedrooms have spectacular views over Loch Awe or Ben Cruachan. The house offers comfortable and flexible holiday accommodation in a wonderful part of Scotland, suitable for family groups with or without children as well as friends or corporate groups. Outside: The house benefits from extensive secure gardens, including a burn and pond. The highlight of the house is the shoreline just yards from the front door. This is a glorious setting with a private beach & seating allowing guests to fully relax and enjoy the views. Day long barbecues and picnics can be enjoyed on the decking around the boathouse and children will delight at the opportunity to play games on the large lawn area, jump off the pier or take advantage of the private fishing rights on the loch. The jetty and slipway are ideal for those who wish to bring their own boat and boats can also be rented nearby. 3 Canoes/Kayaks and life jackets are provided for your use as well as some fishing equipment and two sets of football goals for the more energetic of you! For walkers there are some lovely walks direct from the house, along the lochside road or to the surrounding hills. After all this you can relax in the 7 seater hot tub with a glass of bubbly! 2 BBQ's are provided. Utility Room: Whirlpool America Style Washing Machine Whirlpool American Style Electric Tumble Drier. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedlinen is provided. We provide bath and hand towels for guests including a separate 'beach' towel for the Hot Tub. All logs for the wood burning stove and open fire are provided. Cleaning can be arranged during your visit if required. Other: Garden Room - Newly upgraded. Doors to external patio. Loch Views. Patio table and chairs & gas BBQ, overlooking loch. Games Cabin - Pool Table, Table Football, Darts. Table & chairs by Hot Tub plus BBQ. Seating on foreshore deck.