House in The Lizard Village, Cornwall, England - Views Out To The Atlantic And Just 5 Mins Walk To The Coastal Footpath
A large, comfortable and bright family house with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and the rugged Lizard cliff tops.
Off-lane parking for two cars. Dogs are welcome - no extra charge
About the Owner
Veronica and John Palmer have lived in The Lizard since 1970 initially sharing their house with 5 children. John is a retired hospital chaplain and Veronica, an occupational therapist and then a teacher. Having retired, they bought the house-next-door to share with their family, friends and visitors to The Lizard.
As John had been a bush brother in NSW Australia, they renamed their house 'LIGHTNING RIDGE' after one of his parishes there.
John and Veronica love gardening, their dog, walking, the mild climate and the community around them. John still assists in local parish churches when needed. He is chaplain to Helston Royal Naval Association.
Veronica is a bibliophile and a keen family and local historian.
From the Owner
“Veronica grew up in Cornwall during the 2nd WW and has always had an affinity with the area. The wildness of the sea, the huge skies and the glorious countryside keep her here.”
Activity and Interests
Lightning Ridge is just 10 minutes walk from the coastal footpath, Caerthillian Cove and Pentreath Beach. 30 minutes walk to Housel Bay and Church Cove, Half an hour's walk to Kynance Cove along a unique double hedge path. Four walking routes take you to The Lizard Point, the most southerly tip of England.
Newquay Airport is some 60 miles drive away, Truro and Redruth rail stations are both about 40 mins drive. Truro and Helston (20 mins) is a stopping point for National Express coaches.
The Lizard Village - 5 mins walk
Mullion - 5 miles
Cadgwith Cove -10 mins drive
Kennack Sands - 15 mins drive
Gunwalloe - 10 miles
Helston - 10 miles
The Lizard has a post office and general store (Spar) as well as a farm shop.
Supermarkets and banks in Helston
- Booking Notes:
We will acknowledge all enquiries, and provide an invoice with payment details once you have confirmed that you'd like to stay.
We ask for a deposit of half the rental cost and balance payment 8 weeks before your holiday.
In the event that you have to cancel your holiday after paying your deposit or balance, we are only able to return these if we successfully re-let.
Our bookings are Saturday to Saturday during school holidays.
Arrival is set at 4 p.m.
Departure at 10 a.m. Your vehicles may be left for longer.
Notes on prices:
Our prices are for 7 nights accommodation and include all utility bills.
Wood for the open fire can be purchased locally.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“In and outdoor safe space for children and pets. A choice of country walks and local beaches. Village amenities geared to visitors, but not too far from local supermarkets! Great views to weather watch, plenty of books, games and toys. Even an organ (foot operated!) to amuse the musical. The Lizard, famous for it's serpentine, has it's own lifeboat with a friendly welcome for visitors. Culdrose Naval Air Station at Helston for 'plane spotters. A rescue helicopter crew is always on standby. There are riding, fishing, surf and diving centres fairly close by. Excellent restaurants and pubs are on offer, as well as NT properties and other gardens offering specialist plants. St Michael's Mount, The Minack Theatre, The Eden Project and Land's End can be visited on a day trip.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- One family bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wc & wash hand basin Additional toilet and hand basin
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 - king with huge bay windows and sea views & wash basin Bedroom 2 - double with views towards Kynance Cove & wash basin Bedroom 3 - single with sea views Bedroom 4 - single with sea views
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: Main bedroom and two singles at front of house, second double room at rear gives some privacy for a second couple. All with sea views. Solid construction. In spite of the wonderful outlook, our house has withstood winter storms for a hundred years. (We only lost two slates and a piece of gutter in last winter's famous storms!) We have porches for shoes and walking gear. Outside: Lightning Ridge has a lovely south / southwest facing garden which makes the most of the light. The two grass areas are surrounded by mature hedges and trees (although stunted by the winter wind!) providing privacy. A paved area with a big circular table and six chairs provides the perfect spot for al fresco dining. A further sitting area in a more sheltered part of the garden. Utility Room: Large fridge / freezer, washing machine & tumbler dryer and drying racks. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen is provided including towels, swimming, beach and dog towels, tea cloths etc. Other: Study / snug / children's playroom with doll's house and other toys. Books and games.