Unusual, Cosy 7 Bedroom House, Beautiful Location, Private Stretch Of River Bank
**IMPORTANT CUSTOMER NOTICE: OUR PRICES ARE NOT CALCULATED USING NIGHTLY RATES AS SUGGESTED BY OWNERS DIRECT. THE PRICES SHOWN ON THE FIRST PAGE ARE FOR SHORTBREAKS AND LONGER. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR ACCURATE PRICING AND SPECIAL OFFERS! **
Situated in the picturesque Wye Valley, Abernant House has elegant yet cosy accommodation for up to 15 people.
This impressive house has 3 spacious reception rooms including a beautifully-proportioned drawing room and a wood-panelled TV room. It has recently been the subject of an update with a new kitchen and new bathrooms. This large kitchen and dining room at the centre of the House is warm and inviting and great for entertaining. There are 7 bedrooms, a large garden, private river access and woodland, making it the perfect setting for a special celebration.
Standing in glorious mature gardens intersected by a stream, the House looks east over the Wye Valley to Aberedw Rocks. The master bedroom has its own private balcony looking over the treetops towards the river, and 3 other bedrooms also have balconies overlooking the garden.
The garden is flat alongside the house and slopes down to the banks of the Nant stream and the River Wye, where there is a private stone beach (also a listed fishing area for guests). The garden has a swing on a giant copper beech tree and a stone barbecue under the tree which is perfect for summer garden parties.
Across the road there is a wood with some lovely walks and several adjacent fields belong to the property.
The property is also close to the market town of Builth Wells, the location of the Royal Welsh Showground. Hay-on-Wye, which is famous for its array of book shops and the renowned Hay Literary Festival, is within a 20-minute drive. The Cathedral town of Brecon is just 20 minutes away and we are within easy reach of the magnificent Brecon Beacons. The surrounding countryside is some of the most beautiful in the Welsh Borders.
There are so many things to do in this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are plenty of opportunities for walking, cycling or spotting local wildlife. There is a wide range of outdoor activities on offer including canoeing, paragliding, horse riding and pony trekking. The area is famous for its salmon and trout fishing. Finally, with restaurants, traditional shops and arts & crafts courses and workshops, there is something for everyone.
The House has an intriguing history. The owner’s grandfather was Sir Harold Caccia, who was in the diplomatic service and was Ambassador in China, Vienna and then the USA during the 1960's. He was then Provost of Eton. Harold's father was Antonio Caccia, who was translator at the Treaty of Versailles. A rare copy of the Treaty was found in the house about 10 years ago!
The House is currently available to rent for 2 nights, 3 nights or 7 nights. Guests use the House for relaxing short breaks, long weekends with family and friends, or as a base for active adventure holidays. Visitors have used the House to hold special birthday celebrations, hen parties, university reunions and even a wedding!
The House provides luxurious yet welcoming accommodation - and can offer unique extras from home-made cake and cookies, flowers for that special person, pampering hampers and even a 5-star chef for the evening. Jo delivers an enhanced guess experience - providing a really personal service right from initial contact through to departure.
To find out more, visit the website: http://www.abernanthouse.com
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
As manager of Abernant House I feel privileged to have the opportunity to welcome guests to this beautiful property.
I have lived and worked in the immediate area for over 20 years and work closely with the owner to provide a personal and friendly environment in which guests can relax with family and friends.
2 holidaymaker reviews
Three generations of the same family, aged 87 - 11, spent five glorious days at Abernant, relaxing in the house and the garden and finding one's inner child in the Nant and the Wye!! The house has immense character and is charming, very comfortable and relaxing, bliss. All the rooms, both up and downstairs are very well appointed, with attention to detail, with plenty of space. The kitchen, with the superb table, is a wonderful room to gather in, ample space for all 12 of us. Jo looked after us all so well, made everything so easy for us - from first contact onward - and has been marvellous. Really hope to return before too long! We all thoroughly recommend Abernant.
Everything about this place is excellent. We had a party of 12 aged 6 - 85 and we all absolutely loved it. There is a British feel to the house which is beautifully kitted out and seemed to have everything we needed as well as being immaculate and very good quality. The bedrooms are spacious and plentiful with huge beds and lovely linens, the house is roomy enough to get lost in and the garden is a joy. Having access to the river is an added bonus. All 12 of us were very sad to leave and I cannot wait to book our next trip. Jo was super helpful and lovely and everything was actually much nicer than we expected which does not happen often. Highly recommended.
From the Owner
“The property has been owned by the family for over 50 years.”
Activity and Interests
A car is essential for this property
The nearest towns are Builth Wells at a 10 min drive away, and Hay-on-Wye at 20 minutes. Both have a number of restaurants, cafes and grocery shops, as well as some interesting crafts and excellent local butchers!
The cathedral town of Brecon is a 20 minute drive away.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Autumn Half Term
21 Oct 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
21 Dec 2016 - 29 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
30 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
We ask for a 30% deposit on booking to secure the booking. Payment must be made no later than 4 weeks before arrival.
Changeover day is usually Friday but we are flexible so please contact us to discuss.
Notes on prices:
2 day break - £1,200.
3 day break - £1, 450.
One week (low season) - £1,900.
One week (high season) - £2,400
Please contact us to discuss alternative changeover days.
Late availability discount offered.....please contact for details.
We ask that guests make a 30% deposit payment to secure the booking. The final balance is due at least 4 weeks prior to arrival.
We prefer that payments are made by bank transfer.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Toilet 3 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Master - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, With private Juliet balcony
- Single - 1 Single Bed, With private balcony overlooking the garden
- Blue Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Ensuite room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Single Bed, There is the option of an additional pull out single bed
- Green Room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, Super king size bed, option of 2 additional pull out singles
- Twin Room - 2 Single Bed, This room can be made up as a double
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bed 1 - Super King Size & balcony. Bed 2 - Single, wash basin closet & balcony. Bed 3 - Super King Size. Bedroom 4 - Super King size, en-suite bathroom & balcony. Bedroom 5 - Single & balcony. Bed 6 - Super King Size. Bed 7 - Twin. ** Option of 3 x additional single beds in shared rooms **
- Notes on accommodation: Abernant is a large house which provides ample space for a perfect holiday with family and friends. It is primarily a family home and has a relaxed, comfortable and welcoming feel. The property was formerly owned by Lord Harold Caccia who was British Ambassador in China and Washington, USA from the 1930's to 1960's. The large kitchen with its large oak dining table is at the centre of the house. Warm and inviting, it is the perfect place to have that celebration dinner or family gathering. French windows lead directly to the garden. The drawing room has comfortable sofas next to an open wood burning fire. A light and airy room with beautiful views out over the River Wye towards the beautiful Aberedw Rocks. There is a grand piano for use by guests. The dining room is decorated with beautiful handpainted Chinese wallpaper. The wood paneled TV room has several sofas and a wood burning stove. All bedding is high quality Egyptian cotton. Full central heating. Outside: The property sits in approximately 7 acres including a large front garden with a large lawned area dominated by a stunning copper beech tree and includes many established shrubs. It has beautiful views across the Wye valley towards the Aberedw Rocks. There is a stone built barbecue overlooking fields which are separated from the grounds by a ha-ha (Ha-has are used in landscape design to prevent access to a garden, for example by grazing livestock, without obstructing views.) A sheltered porch area with outdoor tables is adjacent to the drawing room. The garden slopes down to the Nant stream which flows into the River Wye. There is a footpath allowing access to the river which is just a two minute amble away. There is a stone beach alongside the river. Utility Room: Washing machine, tumble drier. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and Linen are included. The property is cleaned weekly, as well as before and after each booking. Other: Entrance hall. Downstairs wc with washbasin.