House in Wicquinghem, near Montreuil, Pas de Calais. Peaceful Location Surrounded By The Beautiful French Countryside & Only 35 Minutes To Le Touquet Beach
Only 50 mins drive from Calais Eurotunnel this large rustic, family house with lots of living space, full of character with welcoming & comfortable atmosphere. Ideal for everyone, young children, teenagers, groups of friends. Sleeps 14, 2 bathrooms, large dining & living room with gorgeous log fireplaces. Vast, secluded garden with loads of activities: Badminton, Table Tennis Trampolining, Bar-be-Cuing, Boules, Sunbathing, Biking (7 bikes supplied). 35 minutes drive from the extensive beaches of the chic sea side resort of Le Touquet, 20 mins drive from the historic town of Montreuil sur Mer with it's fabulous castle & fortified wall walk, market square, cafes & restaurants & 30 mins drive from Bolougne with it's famous old town, port & tourist attractions such as Sea World. Other super things to do locally: Horse Riding, Brocantes (car boot sales), visiting Ypres First World War Museum, Le Sommes' First World War sites, the medieval town of St Valerie sur Somme & of course it's many Golf courses!
Top Traveller Review
Fantastic French Retreat
About the Owner
About Geraldine Waring
We are two school friends from London, now retired, who decided to join forces in 2003 to buy our apartment off plan because we loved the area. In 2006 it was completed and we've enjoyed some wonderful times, especially the warmth of off season while the UK is still a bit chilly! When the apartment was complete Joanna was working in London as an interior designer so it has been decorated to a high standard and artistically arranged which we are always adding to with locally bought things giving the authentic Spanish feel.
It has been a very successful venture as we, friends and families have enjoyed our stays in Costalita a great deal, getting to know the Costa del Sol and wonderful Andalucia further afield. And most of all enjoying the sunshine.
The French House is owned by Geraldine
Why Geraldine Waring chose Pas-de-Calais
I bought a property in this location because it is easy to get to from London only 3.5 hours door to door using the tunnel.
I love the house and garden.
Pretty village and surroundings.
It is peaceful yet near the coast and fashionable seaside town of Le Touquet.
There are lots of excellent local markets.
lots to do in the area, horse ride, golf, tennis, sand sail, sailing club, kite flying.
There are dedicated cycling routes and good running routes.
I like France the people, restaurants, way of life.
Our village is quite yet near shops and other town.
Three hours drive to Paris, one and a half to Lille, 30 minutes to Bolougne.
What makes this house unique
The house is spacious.
Open log fire, wood burning stove.
Large patio out door eating.
Bar b q
Everyone comments as to how nice the house feels, good atmosphere there.
Great for large groups of people, families or groups of friends.
Great place for children
(17 traveller reviews)
Fantastic French Retreat
Fantastic stay in Wicquinhem again! This is our second stay here and once again we loved it. Large and spacious to fit all of us in, lovely roaring fire, large kitchen area and outdoor area, the kids enjoyed the extensive garden and trampoline - it proved perfect for the Easter Egg hunt! We were made very welcome again.
We have just spent 5 days over Christmas and had an amazing time. The house is ideal for a family holiday with plenty of space. The kitchen is very well equipped and the oven is huge. There is plenty of seating in the lounge with big comfy sofas and an open fire. The garden is a great space and the house is in a rural location but only half an hour from Le Touquet which has a lovely beach. The bedrooms are all a good size and one has a pool table which was a welcome addition. Overall the house is rustic and very welcoming, as was the owner. Would thoroughly recommend.
Very good size for large family
Cottage very good size very homely the garden was outstanding with plenty to do had a lovely break might return one day Julie x
Great Holiday in Wicquinghem
We were a party of ten (5 adults and 5 children) ages ranging from 6 to 77. The week before our holiday we were given lots of helpful information by the owner Geraldine about the house and the area including instructions on how to get to the property from Calais. We found the house to be very comfortable, spacious and well equipped to cope with up to 14 guests and true to the description given on the website. It has a homely and rustic feel to it. It is set in a large gated garden bordering on woodland and has masses of things to do for all age groups both inside and out of the house. The super sized trampoline was very popular with both the children and adults as was the table tennis and pool tables. There was plenty of room for playing football and badminton and all the necessary sports equipment was provided. the barbecue area is under cover so we were able to have bbqs even when the weather wasn't so good outside. There are plenty of comfortable garden chairs, enough for all. The fire pit in the garden was a nice addition in the evenings too. Inside the house there were lots of board games and puzzles to suit all ages. Both the lounge and the dining room have easy to light fires which we made use of on chillier evenings. Six of our party including the children spent a memorable night in the bell tent in the garden and although it poured with rain all night they were snug and dry. Comfy airbeds were provided along with an electric pump to inflate them. Guests understandably have to provide their own sleeping bags for this activity. 8 bikes (and some safety helmets) are provided and there are some nice bike rides around the local area. The nearest supermarket is a smallish Carrefour about 15 minutes drive away and were were able to get all our supplies and petrol from there. There is a fantastic sandy beach at Merlimont about half an hour away which we visited several times during out stay. The beach is patrolled by lifeguards and is close to lots of little shops, restaurants and bars. There are toilets there and parking is free, which is a bonus. Montreuil is well worth a visit, with its castle, wall walk and shops including a super toy shop. There is a nice little Creperie there down one of the cobbled streets, which we all enjoyed. We also spent an interesting afternoon at the little chocolate factory in Beussant watching the chocolate being made.
It was a great holiday and we would highly recommend this property.
Great property & easy to ge to from London
We had a wonderful stay at Geraldine's property. The location was fantastic, rural enough to enjoy the countryside but amenities close by so you could get supplies. It was incredibly easy to get to from London, and took us 3 1/2 hours door to door (aside from a bit of a wait at the eurotunnel).
The property has so many games and things you can do that we rarely felt the need to leave. Geraldine gave some great tips about local shops, and weekend markets to visit. The property was clean and well maintained, the kitchen very well stocked, and the property had loads of board games which were put to good use.
The bath upstairs ran cold once during the weekend and aside from that minor blip, there were no issues at all with our stay at the house. I would recommend the property to anyone looking for a quick trip over to France for the weekend especially with a big group of people. We could easily have had another 6 people with out group of 6.
Perfect weekend with friends
Before we even arrived Geraldine had given us all the information we needed to know about the house and the local area. The trip down was so easy and were at the house within an hour of leaving Calais. There was enough room for 3 families in the spacious house. The children lived outside on the trampoline, making dens, playing table tennis and involved the parents in several games of rounders. A trip to Le Touquet market stocked us up with good food and wine for a relaxing weekend in the garden during the day and around the fire playing board games in the evening. Highly recommended.
From the Owner
“I bought a property in this location because it is easy to get to from London only 3.5 hours door to door using the tunnel. I love the house and garden. Pretty village and surroundings. It is peaceful yet near the coast and fashionable seaside town of Le Touquet. There are lots of excellent local markets. lots to do in the area, horse ride, golf, tennis, sand sail, sailing club, kite flying. There are dedicated cycling routes and good running routes. I like France the people, restaurants, way of life. Our village is quite yet near shops and other town. Three hours drive to Paris, one and a half to Lille, 30 minutes to Bolougne.”
Activity and Interests
Beaches 35 minutes drive away.
Le Touquet, Berke, Bolougne, Wimereaux, Hardelot
Nearest airport Le Touquet planes fly from Lydd in Kent and private planes.
Eurotunnel 50 minutes. Calais ferry port 1 hour.
Car essential or you can arrive on bike from the Eurotunnel or Ferry there is a nice country route 39 kilomentre
nearest village and Carrefour 2 miles
Montrieul sur mer 20 minutes, Le Somme 1 hour, Amien an hour and a half, Monet's Garden 2hours 40 minutes.
Carrefour is two miles away in Hucqueliers, there are a few local shops and banks and 2 cafes, the post office hairdressers, pharmacy, doctors all in the village of Hucqueliers 2 miles away. The Marie(town hall) looks like something from back to the future.
Lille and hour and a half
Etaple train station to Paris
Was fields tour from ....
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
House is available at all time.
£300 non returnable deposit is required to reserve your week. Full balance required 5 weeks to date booked. Rental payment is made by bank transfer to supplied account by owner.
Change over day is flexible although Saturday to Saturday preferred.
Notes on prices:
Weekend and shorter rentals prices on application
Owner's Cancellation Policy
From the Owner
“The house is spacious. Beds comfortable. Open log fire, wood burning stove. Large patio out door eating. Bar b q Badminton Trampoline Table tennis Pool table Table football Everyone comments as to how nice the house feels, good atmosphere there. Great for large groups of people, families or groups of friends. Great place for children”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Stereo ...
- Video Library ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- near the sea
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- water parks
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Ground floor - bathroom with bath and shower, wash basin. Separate toilet Upstairs - Bathroom with bath and shower, bidet and toilet. Three of the bedrooms have their own wash basins
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (7 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Ground floor there are 2 double bedrooms one overlooks the garden, other with decorative fireplace. Upstairs 5 bedrooms. 2 doubles with own wash basins, 1 twin bedroom, 1 bunk bedroom with wash basin, 1 double with pool table and double sofa bed
- Golf ...
- Max. occupancy: 14
- pets considered
- children welcome
- Notes on accommodation: The website I have listed is for my apartment in Spain. You are welcome to ask me for more information or photos on the French one. This is a rustic wonderful family house in the French Countryside so expect spiders, the odd cobweb, wonderful smell of wood burning stove and open fire place. The garden (2 acres) is so enjoyable and I recommend on good evenings to put the kitchen table outside and cook from the house or bar b q. Ideal for 2 or 3 families to share, parties as neighbours are not close enough to be disturbed. Really safe for children and lots to do in the garden, trampoline, badminton, table tennis, and games lawn for football, a wooded area to build dens. Garden gates can be shut so it is private and enclosed. Great cycling area and ideal for walks and runs. I have had fitness weeks and triathlon groups staying at the house. We have a cupboard of games along the lines of scrabble, trivial pursuits, cludo, monopoly. Outside: 2 bricked patios which flow onto the lawn. One is directly from the kitchen and other outside the bar b q area. Garden table with umbrella, 4 chairs with cushion seats, wooden garden table and 4 chairs, various deck chairs and other garden chairs. Bar b q area. Large trampoline, badminton net, cricket/football lawn, wood area, lawn and lots of lovely trees, plenty of place to sit alone and read or enjoy a glass of wine. Utility Room: Washing machine is in the kitchen area, I have a spin dryer in garage and washing line for clothes as so nice to hang out in the sun. Cupboard, with mobs, brooms, buckets etc, iron and ironing board, Henry Hoover. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen is provided and there are duvets on all beds. Two towels are provided for each room, please bring own beach towels. Extra linen available if you require. House clean on arrival, we ask you to leave as found or pay extra 100 euros for clean Other: We have double garage where there are 5 bicycles for your use and table tennis table which is brought outside. There is an outdoor bar b q area with seating and terrace, out houses with various toys, goal posts, badminton rackets, skittles, cricket bat