Large House, Swilland, Nr. Woodbridge, Suffolk, England - Located Outside The Village Of Swilland With Charming Award Winning Food Pub - Moon And Mushroom
Atmospheric and beautiful: Toad Hall lies in the countryside near Swilland village in Suffolk Coastal District. Note pricing on this site not accurate - weekend rentals are between £650 and £760 and midweek short breaks from £540, off season weeks from £920. This is a truly rural area with lots of farming and little traffic on narrow lanes. The nearby ancient town of Woodbridge on the River Deben has super antique and book shops as well as swimming pool and bowling alley and the river Deben for boating or walking beside. The area is full of villages with good pubs, sites of interest (we particularly enjoyed Sutton Hoo and the Mechanical Music Museum) and riding, golf, fishing etc and the nearest beaches at Aldeburgh and Hollesley are just 30 minutes drive, with others all along the coast from Frinton to Walberswick and Southwold. In 2 acres of gardens, this very spacious Grade II listed C16 timber framed house, complete with inglenook fireplace, accommodates 11 comfortably in 6 bedrooms for weeks or short breaks. The house is well-equipped with all modern conveniences among a wealth of exposed timbers. There is an extra original back staircase which is quaint. An excellent good food pub with outside seating is within 15 minutes walking distance. A very good riding stable is just along the lane. Children and well-behaved dog (on ground floor only please) welcome! The house is centrally heated and also has a log burning stove in one of the sitting rooms. You should be warned that it is an old house and the staircases, whilst delightful for most, are possibly steeper than you may be used to and may not be suitable for someone with a disability. However, one of the double bedrooms is on the ground floor opposite the shower room (with WC) across the large sitting hallway.
About the Owner
Toad Hall is privately owned.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Some people who stayed at Toad Hall wrote, "The ten of us ... had just the most fantastic time and could have stayed for a month I think! The house and garden exceeded all of our expectations - what a treasure you have there. Living in London, escaping to the country is always great, but last weekend topped the charts in terms of all the weekend breaks we've taken together." One family who took a week wrote, " We had an absolutely wonderful time at Toad Hall. It has so much character and lot of things to do. We didn't want to come home and could quiet easily have stayed forever. In fact if you ever want to sell it let us know!! " and others wrote, "We had a fantastic weekend at Toad Hall - activities included bike rides up near Dunwich, long walks followed by food at the Moon and Mushroom. It was perfect for us all and we were all sorry to leave." Others said, "The photographs do not do it justice, it is much more beautiful". And others wrote, “House beautiful, garden gorgeous...
From the Owner
“We have had the house since our now grown up children were small and after years of happy days there escaping from London we currently do not use it as much so we also let it out.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
There is an excellent riding stable along the lane catering for beginners or those taking advanced tests and those who just enjoy a hack.
The beautiful Suffolk seaside is 30 minutes drive. with the river Deben just 15 minutes away by car
The station at Ipswich is about a 20 minute taxi ride. Westerfield and Woodbridge are nearer railway stations on the branch line. You can fly to any London airport but Stansted, Luton and Southend are the nearest. Toad Hall is about 2 hours North East of London by car.
The Village of Swilland is a 20 minutes walk - less across footpaths through the fields. Grundisburgh village is under 10 minutes car ride and Woodbridge 15 minutes by car.
Lots of Local information on shops restaurants and things to do and see will be supplied by the owner.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
We ask for a 40% of rental deposit to secure your booking with the balance paid 8 weeks before your stay.
Usually Friday but can sometimes be Monday or other days.
Notes on prices:
Prices include all fuel including logs, bed linen and wifi internet. Please enquire for prices at other time periods not shown.
We ask for a 40% of rental deposit to secure your booking, with the balance and security deposit paid 8 weeks before your stay.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Games ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Stereo ...
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- near the sea
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- bay fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There are three bath/shower rooms each with a WC. The en suite bathroom is in Victorian style with a roll top bath and converted gas lights. All have plenty of hot water.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot, Large master bedroom en suite bathroom -bath shower basin WC
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, Spacious second 'master' bedroom
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, large twin room
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, good sized twin room
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Single Bed, good sized Single room on second floor
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Double Bed, ground floor double room
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 11 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The master bedroom is an en suite double with bath and separate shower room. 2nd bedroom also a large double room beside a family bathroom. A Further two good twin rooms and a single room. On the ground floor is a further double opposite a shower room.
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: There are 2 acres of lovely gardens with a patio in the 'secret' side garden and the summer house has the garden furniture. Utility Room: Large fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer plus outdoor play equipment. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen is included but we do not usually supply towels unless you are coming from abroad and then we make a small laundry charge. The house is cleaned weekly but we can arrange extra help if you want it. Other: The games room is very large and has a table tennis table and lots of games and other equipment.