Chateau / Manor House in Stretton, Nr. Ashover, Derbyshire, England - Peaceful Accesible Country Location and an Ideal Base for the Exploring the Peak District
Stretton House, dating back to the 17th century and greatly extended in Victorian times, is an imposing Derbyshire country house, with historic links to the building of the local mainline railway connecting London to Leeds. The private gravel driveway leads to an impressive residence sitting in its own formal gardens and parkland overlooking an ornamental lake. Stretton House provides the ideal setting for a large gathering of friends and family, comfortably accommodating up to 32 people in luxurious surroundings, for that special weekend or holiday. The whole party can comfortably dine at a single table in the conservatory or alternatively there is a formal dining room for 32. In good weather, outside dining is an option with a table for 32 people located on the patio outside the conservatory. Privacy and tranquillity can be enjoyed by all members of the family with croquet on the lawn, Pimms on the lake terrace and activities for the children. Stretton House the formal drawing room with an open fire, the library also with an open fire,a bar lounge and conservatory. There is also a childrens art room (including DVD and book library) as well as a games annex in the former coach house. With all this to offer Stretton House is the ideal large holiday home and retreat for the whole family.
Top Traveller Review
The perfect place to get together with friends
We look forward to our next visit..
About the Owner
5 based on 48 holidaymaker reviews
The perfect place to get together with friends
Everything about our stay at Stretton House was perfect: the friendly welcome from Dena, Debbie and John; the expansive splendour of the house and the beautiful surrounding grounds. The house is furnished lavishly .and lacked nothing we needed for a weekend of celebration and indulgence. Every room has character and comfort and the convenience of two large well-equipped kitchens meant that everyone was able to help out without tripping over one another. We made use of all the facilities, I particularly enjoyed singing around the piano and sipping champagne on the terrace.
We look forward to our next visit..
WOW. What a fantastic weekend. We arrived at Stretton House to be greeted by the house keeping team who showed us around this fantastic house. Everything about it is 5 star. The rooms were brilliant the kitchens absolutely spotless the whole place just made us feel like millionaires for the weekend. We booked Stretton House through the lovely owner Dena whose professionalism was outstanding. Anything we asked her for she tried to sort for us. We had caterers who Dena recommended and they to were fab also. Let me tell you if you are thinking of booking a house for an up and coming event Stretton House has got to be top of your list but hurry because I can see it been booked solid for many years to come. Once again thank you Dena and your team for making our stay so enjoyable. Dawn & Tim Harding
Fantastic weekend at Stretton House!
We stayed at Stretton House for a 50th birthday celebration and what a special treat it was. We were blown away by the house on our initial visit back in March, and knew we were in for a brilliant weekend but nothing could have prepared us for how it would feel to experience living in such a wonderful property for a few days. All 28 of us could not stop saying 'wow'! Pure luxury - spotlessly clean, well equipped, stunning rooms, masses of space and what a setting. Dena, the owner, went out of her way to help us plan the weekend making fantastic suggestions about where/how to do some of the activities we had planned. John and Debbie, the lovely housekeepers, came to help with some group photos one evening and were on call for any minor issues. They are all so proud of Stretton House and rightly so. We will be talking about our weekend for a long time to come and will definitely be booking again one day. We can't wait!
Thank you so much, Jo & Nick
Simply the best, better than all the rest!
Family and friends helped me celebrate my 70th Birthday here. What a fantastic location. Everyone well impressed with the cleanliness, decor, space, facilities and of course the grounds and views. Housekeepers made us feel very welcome , nothing too much trouble. Excellent customer service. Planning another visit.
On arrival we were greeted by the house owner and house keeper, who were both polite and very welcoming. We were shown around the property and told that if we needed anything just to call and they would do their best to help. The house itself was amazing and so big that it took a while to get to know your way around. Venturing out into the garden was exiting. So many different areas to discover. There were different seating areas, my favourite one being the one overlooking the lake. The bedrooms were lovely and everybody commented on comfortable beds and pillows, therefor all having a good nights sleep. The kitchens were well equipped and all had dishwashers, which is great! Especially when when there are a lot of you. All in all a brilliant break. We will defanatly be returning.
A truly stunning property.
We stayed at Stretton house for our annual family reunion during the August bank holiday weekend. I must start by saying that this property has been by far and away the nicest property we have used for the reunion.
There is so much to say about the positives (which most of the other reviewers have covered). However I really can't think of a single negative about the property.
The attention to detail that has been put in to both the design of the property and making the stay enjoyable for guests is truly amazing. Almost every convenience you can think of has been provided is a tasteful manner.
Dena is a very easy person to communicate with (many other owners are not). And she is very transparent about to make the most of your stay. John the housekeeper is a real gentleman and made us feel so welcome.
The grounds have been kept immaculately and we were fortunate enough to have good weather so we managed to spend a lot of time in the vast open grounds that the property has to offer.
The games room is really a games house! A real man cave, it kept the children occupied for hous.
We like to change the location of our reunion every year so we can discover another part of the country. However we fell in love with Stretton house so much that we are considering to booking the property again next year! Thank you so much Dena for helping make our family reunion really special this year.
Activity and Interests
• Chatsworth House (used as Pemberley pride and Prejudice)16 miles
• Hardwick Hall 8 miles
• Haddon Hall 13 miles
• Matlock 8 miles
• Matlock Bath and the heights of Abraham 8 miles
• Bakewell15 miles
• Nearest pub/restaurant 0.8 mile
• Ashover offers numerous public houses 3 miles
• CAMRA regional pub of the year 3 miles (Poet’s Corner, Ashover)
• Matlock with numerous dining options 8 miles
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
6 Jan 2017 - 5 Jul 2018
Changeover Day: Friday
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£800|
The listed pricing if for a guide only,for up to date pricing and availability please go to our web-site www.strettonhousederbys.co.uk or contact us for a quotation for your required dates.
We take a one third deposit at the time of booking
The balance is due 8 weeks before the date booked
£800 refundable deposit
As well as weekend breaks mid-week breaks are available, please enquire for pricing
• On-site caretaker to greet you and handle any queries during your stay
• Check in 4pm
• Check out 4pm on a Sunday
• Check out 10am on other days
• Early check in can be requested
Notes on prices:
The listed pricing is for a guide only. Please click on the link to our web-site for up to date availability and pricing.
30% deposit to secure the booking and the remainder 8 weeks prior to the date of arrival
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Table Football
- Game Room ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
- Private Chef
- children welcome ...
- pets not allowed
- Bathroom 2 - JSG en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Separate large shower for 2 ans freestanding bath
- Bathroom 3 - Bland suite en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Large double ended free standing bath and separate shower
- Bathroom 1 - The Dorm en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Double ended bath in the bedroom with separate shower
- Bathroom 4 - Rooth - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Large bathroom with freestanding bath
- Bathroom 5 - Timberfield en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Double ended freestanding bath and separate shower
- Bathroom 6 - Tomlinson en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Ensuite shower room
- Shower room - Adams en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En-suite shower room
- Shower room - McConnell en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En-suite shower room
- Shower room 4 - Griffin en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Ensuite shower room
- Bathroom - Bennington en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Ensuite with shower over the bath
- Bathroom 11 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Additional family bathroom located on the first floor
- Bathroom 12 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Additional bathroom with freestanding bath and shower
- Bed 1 has a bath in the bedroom and separate shower. Bed 2 has a shower for 2 and separate bathroom with freestanding bath. Family suite has an ensuite with freestanding bath. 3 bedrooms have ensuite shower rooms and on ensuite with a shower over the bath
- 12 Bedrooms, Sleeps 32
- Bedroom 4 - Rooth - 1 Double Bed, Double bed
- Bedroom 1 - The Dorm - 1 Double Bed, 2 Sofa bed/Futon, large family room with fourposter sleeping up to 4
- Bedroom 2 - JSG - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, King size four poster and bed settee sleeping up to 4 people
- Bedroom 3 - The Bland Suite - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Double Bed, 2 bedroo family suite with king size bed and double bed
- Bedroom 5 - Timberfield - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 6 - Tomlinson - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 13 - Bland suite - 1 Double Bed, Second bedroom to the Bland suite with 3/4 bed
- Bedroom 7 - Adams - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 8 - McConnel - 2 Single Bed, Twin Room
- Bedroom 9 - Bennington - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 10 - Griffin - 1 Double Bed, Double bed
- Bedroom 11 - Horatio - 3 Single Bed, Twin beds with optional additional trundle bed
- Bedroom 12 - White - 3 Single Bed, Twin beds with optional pull out trundle bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 32 (13 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 12/13 bedrooms in total comprising: - 2 family rooms (sleeps 4) - 1 family suite separate bedroom - 2 doubles en-suite - 4 king size en-suite - 3 twins Ten en suite bathrooms and an additional two bathrooms Two additional WC's downstairs
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Extensive private formal gardens and lawns. Outside dining on the terraces offers plenty of seating for all and cooking on the large charcoal Barbecue. Privacy and tranquillity can be enjoyed by all members of the family with croquet on the lawn, Pimms on the lake terrace and activities for the children. ice maker is available Cleaning / Towels / Linen Table linen, napkins and towels included. Other: A childrens play room for younger children includes TV and DVD player. A 2 story games annex includes Pool Table, Table Football and ping pong table.