Chateau / Manor House in Stretton, Nr. Ashover, Derbyshire, England - Peaceful Accesible Country Location and an Ideal Base for the Exploring the Peak District
Stretton House, dating back to the 17th century and greatly extended in Victorian times, is an imposing Derbyshire country house, with historic links to the building of the local mainline railway connecting London to Leeds. The private gravel driveway leads to an impressive residence sitting in its own formal gardens and parkland overlooking an ornamental lake. Stretton House provides the ideal setting for a large gathering of friends and family, comfortably accommodating up to 32 people in luxurious surroundings, for that special weekend or holiday. The whole party can comfortably dine at a single table in the conservatory or alternatively there is a formal dining room for 32. In good weather, outside dining is an option with a table for 32 people located on the patio outside the conservatory. Privacy and tranquillity can be enjoyed by all members of the family with croquet on the lawn, Pimms on the lake terrace and activities for the children. Stretton House the formal drawing room with an open fire, the library also with an open fire,a bar lounge and conservatory. There is also a childrens art room (including DVD and book library) as well as a games annex in the former coach house. With all this to offer Stretton House is the ideal large holiday home and retreat for the whole family.
Top Traveller Review
Magnificent house in a beautiful setting
About the Owner
(52 traveller reviews)
Magnificent house in a beautiful setting
We stayed at Stretton House for a week during December 2016 and enjoyed the most wonderful family Christmas. The house is breathtaking. It was large enough for all of us to have stayed in great comfort without feeling on top of one another. The kitchens are exceptionally well equipped, Dena and her team have thought of everything that could possibly be required, and self-catering for 30 people was easily managed. The bedrooms, indeed all the rooms, are beautifully decorated, and tastefully furnished - personally, I found the library particularly charming. We will be back!
AN ABSOLUTE GEM
We took this property for my mother's 100th birthday celebration. 32 relatives aged 10 months to 100 years.
I could not have found a more perfect property if I searched the globe. We fitted in with ease and were never on top of each other. There was something for everyone from a playroom for the littles to the cinema room for the dads to watch the rugby. It was beautifully warm and had roaring wood or coal fires in all the sitting rooms. Impeccably clean and beautifully fitted out it was better than a 4* hotel. The warm welcome and thoughtful gestures of a goody pack of sweeties for the children,(or adults) to the life sized cutout of the Queen complete with champagne and birthday wishes to the 100yr old made it a truly memorable and enjoyable weekend.
I am already planning a future visit. Thank you Dena,Andrew, John and Debbie
WOW, Wow and wow!! What a fantastic weekend had by all. The beautiful rooms and the tranquil breath taking surroundings were second to none. We couldn't of asked for a better setting to celebrate our Mother's 80th.
On arrival we were greeted by John and Debbie who were both friendly and professional. We were shown around the property, told the house rules and told if we needed anything just to call. The house itself is oozing with character, every room impeccably clean and fresh looking. It had everything you wished for including an open fire, big screen movie room, bar and socialising area, games room and areas where you could just sit quietly and admire the views. There was something for everyone to enjoy, and we were all proud to call Stretton House our home for the weekend until we woke up on Sunday and had to leave.... we all could have stayed a lot longer and are already looking at dates to come back. Thank you so much to Dena, John and Debbie
A special house for a special birthday
Stretton House is a beautiful house set in beautiful grounds, just oozing with understated luxury and elegance, and it was ours for the weekend. The owners were there to meet and greet us on arrival, with Debbie and John the housekeepers, who were both friendly and professional. The number and variety of reception rooms in the house created a varied experience over the course of the weekend, as our family and friends came and went; there's a room for every mood, always somewhere to go to for a little peace and quiet. The games room was great, and a very popular retreat, particularly for our younger guests. We couldn't help being impressed by quality of the fixtures and fittings which were first class - there's obviously been no skimping anywhere at all. The size and quality of the bedrooms and en-suites lends a feeling of luxury, yet somehow there's still a sense of warmth and homeliness. Everyone loved it and felt comfortable. We had a cosy family dinner in the dining room on Friday evening, and then we converted it into a disco on Saturday night. A professional DJ had been booked by prior arrangement, and we also booked Judith and her Strand team to do the catering. They served delicious canapés and hot food all evening and it was all absolutely perfect. After breakfast on Sunday we had a group walk around the extensive grounds. The surrounding countryside creates a feeling of peaceful detachment and everyone felt relaxed and at home. It was the perfect venue for our weekend of celebrations, and I do not have a single misgiving or reservation. All of our guests felt the same way. No one wanted to leave. And there's no better endorsement than that.
The perfect place to get together with friends
Everything about our stay at Stretton House was perfect: the friendly welcome from Dena, Debbie and John; the expansive splendour of the house and the beautiful surrounding grounds. The house is furnished lavishly .and lacked nothing we needed for a weekend of celebration and indulgence. Every room has character and comfort and the convenience of two large well-equipped kitchens meant that everyone was able to help out without tripping over one another. We made use of all the facilities, I particularly enjoyed singing around the piano and sipping champagne on the terrace.
We look forward to our next visit..
WOW. What a fantastic weekend. We arrived at Stretton House to be greeted by the house keeping team who showed us around this fantastic house. Everything about it is 5 star. The rooms were brilliant the kitchens absolutely spotless the whole place just made us feel like millionaires for the weekend. We booked Stretton House through the lovely owner Dena whose professionalism was outstanding. Anything we asked her for she tried to sort for us. We had caterers who Dena recommended and they to were fab also. Let me tell you if you are thinking of booking a house for an up and coming event Stretton House has got to be top of your list but hurry because I can see it been booked solid for many years to come. Once again thank you Dena and your team for making our stay so enjoyable. Dawn & Tim Harding
Activity and Interests
• Chatsworth House (used as Pemberley pride and Prejudice)16 miles
• Hardwick Hall 8 miles
• Haddon Hall 13 miles
• Matlock 8 miles
• Matlock Bath and the heights of Abraham 8 miles
• Bakewell15 miles
• Nearest pub/restaurant 0.8 mile
• Ashover offers numerous public houses 3 miles
• CAMRA regional pub of the year 3 miles (Poet’s Corner, Ashover)
• Matlock with numerous dining options 8 miles
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
6 Jan 2017 - 5 Jul 2018
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£800|
The listed pricing if for a guide only,for up to date pricing and availability please go to our web-site www.strettonhousederbys.co.uk or contact us for a quotation for your required dates.
We take a one third deposit at the time of booking
The balance is due 8 weeks before the date booked
£800 refundable deposit
As well as weekend breaks mid-week breaks are available, please enquire for pricing
• On-site caretaker to greet you and handle any queries during your stay
• Check in 4pm
• Check out 4pm on a Sunday
• Check out 10am on other days
• Early check in can be requested
Notes on prices:
The listed pricing is for a guide only. Please click on the link to our web-site for up to date availability and pricing.
30% deposit to secure the booking and the remainder 8 weeks prior to the date of arrival
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 0% refund for cancellations more than 0 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- chateau / country house
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Table Football
- Game Room ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Games ...
- Video Library ...
- Private Chef
- children welcome ...
- pets not allowed
- Bathroom 2 - JSG en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Separate large shower for 2 ans freestanding bath
- Bathroom 3 - Bland suite en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Large double ended free standing bath and separate shower
- Bathroom 1 - The Dorm en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Double ended bath in the bedroom with separate shower
- Bathroom 4 - Rooth - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Large bathroom with freestanding bath
- Bathroom 5 - Timberfield en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Double ended freestanding bath and separate shower
- Bathroom 6 - Tomlinson en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Ensuite shower room
- Shower room - Adams en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En-suite shower room
- Shower room - McConnell en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, En-suite shower room
- Shower room 4 - Griffin en-suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Ensuite shower room
- Bathroom - Bennington en-suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Ensuite with shower over the bath
- Bathroom 11 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Additional family bathroom located on the first floor
- Bathroom 12 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Additional bathroom with freestanding bath and shower
- Bed 1 has a bath in the bedroom and separate shower. Bed 2 has a shower for 2 and separate bathroom with freestanding bath. Family suite has an ensuite with freestanding bath. 3 bedrooms have ensuite shower rooms and on ensuite with a shower over the bath
- 12 Bedrooms, Sleeps 32
- Bedroom 4 - Rooth - 1 Double Bed, Double bed
- Bedroom 1 - The Dorm - 1 Double Bed, 2 Sofa bed/Futon, large family room with fourposter sleeping up to 4
- Bedroom 2 - JSG - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, King size four poster and bed settee sleeping up to 4 people
- Bedroom 3 - The Bland Suite - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Double Bed, 2 bedroo family suite with king size bed and double bed
- Bedroom 5 - Timberfield - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 6 - Tomlinson - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 13 - Bland suite - 1 Double Bed, Second bedroom to the Bland suite with 3/4 bed
- Bedroom 7 - Adams - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 8 - McConnel - 2 Single Bed, Twin Room
- Bedroom 9 - Bennington - 1 Large Double Bed, King size bed
- Bedroom 10 - Griffin - 1 Double Bed, Double bed
- Bedroom 11 - Horatio - 3 Single Bed, Twin beds with optional additional trundle bed
- Bedroom 12 - White - 3 Single Bed, Twin beds with optional pull out trundle bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 32 (13 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: 12/13 bedrooms in total comprising: - 2 family rooms (sleeps 4) - 1 family suite separate bedroom - 2 doubles en-suite - 4 king size en-suite - 3 twins Ten en suite bathrooms and an additional two bathrooms Two additional WC's downstairs
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Outside: Extensive private formal gardens and lawns. Outside dining on the terraces offers plenty of seating for all and cooking on the large charcoal Barbecue. Privacy and tranquillity can be enjoyed by all members of the family with croquet on the lawn, Pimms on the lake terrace and activities for the children. ice maker is available Cleaning / Towels / Linen Table linen, napkins and towels included. Other: A childrens play room for younger children includes TV and DVD player. A 2 story games annex includes Pool Table, Table Football and ping pong table.