Farmhouse in Mas D'Auvignon, Nr. Condom, Gers, Midi-Pyrenees, France - Peaceful rural location 2kms from Mas D'Auvignon village with a weekend bar run by the locals
Character property in a beautiful rural setting on a south facing slope where on a clear day, except often in high summer when it is often too hazy, the Pyrenees are a backdrop to the view.
The property has been in the same ownership for over 20 years and has been successfully let for many years with some tenants returning year after year. The owners now live in the village and will therefore be available locally if need be.
The main part of the house was, we are told, built around 1600 and retains many original features. The rear of the house, now a bedroom, bathroom and utility, was once a cowshed.
There is a drive leading to the house from the lane above. The garden is 1.6 acres in all incorporating lawn to the front and rear and including the 8m x 4m private pool. There is an unfenced pond, which may be dry in summer, but tenants must supervise small children and the owners cannot be held responsible.
There is undercover parking for one car and ample space, in the shade if need be, for another.
The house is well equipped, both inside and out. There is outside furniture and a BBQ and pool loungers. Tenants should bring their own pool towels.
The property is 2kms from the village which was featured on French TV in 2013. The small chateau, built in the 13th century, is gradually being restored by the current owners. St Puy is about 4 kms away and has a bread shop, chemist, general store, post office and bar/restaurant.
About the Owner
I am a young 64 years, previously a lawyer latterly in general practice in the country, and retired with my husband to our house in France nearly 8 years ago. I had a driving pony here but now have one horse only in a horse Driving Trials yard in the UK. I am a country girl hence living in the Gers. Part of me wants to keep the Gers secret but the other part wants people to see how beautiful it is and how warm hearted the people are.
Guestbook comments from the owner
I cannot sufficiently express how happy we have been during the 13 years that we have been coming here. Thank you , thank you for everything....
Sally and Liam Laurence Smyth
Even sadder to leave than last year. This place with good weather is very close to Paradise.
Michael Balfour and Elizabeth Ingles
Thank you Marion and Edward - another memorable stay. We are looking forward to next year already.
Gabrielle Bullock and Judith Holden
From the Owner
“Simply - we had holidayed in France every year in different areas - and fell in love with the Gers on our first visit. A lot goes on in the summer in every village and there is easy access to mountains, sea and Toulouse and Bordeaux. Plus a wonderful climate and wonderful food and of course Armagnac.”
Activity and Interests
The Atlantic Coast is about 2 hours drive and the Mediterranean about 4 hours drive. The Motorway will take you to the Mediterranean Coast near Narbonne, Agde, Sete and Perpignan. On the Atlantic side you have the choice of Biarritz or St Jean de Luz to the south or Mimizan plage or Arcachon farther up towards Bordeaux.
A car is essential. The property is 7 hours drive from St Malo, 8 hours from Caen and 10 hours from Calais.
Toulouse Airport is one and a half hours drive and Bordeaux Airport approximately two and a quarter hours drive.
Santander is about 4 hours drive
2kms to Mas D'Auvignon village.
4kms to St Puy (shops)
10kms to Condom
12 Kms to Lectoure
30kms to Auch
Approximately 80kms to the Pyrenees
The towns of Condom, Lectoure (a Spar town) ad Fleurance are all close by. They all have supermarkets, cinemas and a wide range of shops. All towns have market on differing days of the week one of the best being Fleurance on a Tuesday where at 12 noon it is time to sit outside one of the many bars and restaurants around the Square and watch the world go by.
The area has many restaurants ranging from bars with a set menu to Michelin starred.
The Gers hosts many music festivals throughout the summer, the best known being Jazz in Marciac and Tempo Latino in Vic Fezensac both o which have their own websites. There are also numerous classical recitals.
The village has a tennis court and nearby there is canoeing n the River Baise, river trips where one can eat on the boat, riding, cycling, golf and of course walking as it is close to the pilgrim route to Spain. Visitors guides to walking and the many vide greniers and brocantes are available in paper shop and tourist offices.
Further information is available in the house book.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 4 Nov 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For queries or to book please preferably email the owner in the first instance or phone the mobile.
Deposit: one quarter of total rental. Final payment 8 weeks before arrival. Cancellation: if made before final payment deposit refunded less £100 which will also be refunded if the owner obtains a replacement letting.
Security deposit required of £200 to be made with final payment and refundable within 7 days of departure.
Changeover day: Saturday. Can be flexible but rarely in high season.
Time of arrival: 5pm
Time of departure: 10am
Notes on prices:
Long winter lets for not less than a month can be agreed by arrangement with the owner and at a price to be agreed. Otherwise the property is available on a weekly basis as per the pricing information.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is in what is called The Golden Triangle of the Gers between Condom, Lectoure and Fleurance. When you see the scenery and the beautiful stone houses scattered in the countryside and the small bastide villages you realise how the area gets it's name. You can be part of summer life or opt out in the peace and quiet of the house and garden.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom with corner bath and hand held shower attachment, large washbasin and WC. Separate shower with large overhead shower head and WC which could be used as an ensuite to Bedroom 3. Utility with washing machine, basin and ironing board and iron.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: 3 bedrooms sleeping 6 plus a baby or small child Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, Bedroom 2 with large double bed (Queen size), Bedroom 3 with twin beds. All rooms have wardrobes and plenty of drawer space and bedside tables with lamps.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: All accommodation is on the ground floor and so the property is suitable for the elderly. There is a highchair and carrying chair for infants and a cot can be made available if requested. Outside: The 1.6 acre garden is mostly laid to lawn. There is a large area at the rear for games and a shady lawn down steps from the front of the house. The swimming pool is fenced and is 8m x 4m. It is entirely private. There is a BBQ and tables and chair for 6 in front of the house and on the shady lower lawn, both overlooking the view and a small table with 2 chairs and 4 pool loungers by the pool. Parasols are provided for shade. There is also a terracotta beehive oven outside and instructions for use will be found in the house. Utility Room: Washing machine, small basin, shelving, ironing board and iron, linen basket and pegs. The Hoover and other cleaning equipment is housed in an area off the kitchen. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: White cotton linen provided and beds will be made up on arrival. Thick white cotton towels provided. Please bring your own pool towels. The property is cleaned before your arrival and you are asked to leave it in a reasonably clean state on your departure Other: Wide entrance hall with further books, chest for sun hats etc and marble topped washer stand used for keys etc.