Cottage in Lochearnhead, Nr. Crieff, Central Scotland - Peaceful Location In Area Of Outstanding Beauty, 5 Minute Walk To Loch, Hotels And Shop
The Smiddy is a traditional stone built cottage, tastefully refurbished around original features. It is situated in a quiet location within the village, yet only 90 minutes drive from Glasgow and Edinburgh. It has a stone sitting/dining area with a wood-burning stove and farmhouse style kitchen. There are two gallery bedrooms on the first floor. It is in an excellent central location for touring Scotland and the Trossachs area is full of things to see and do. Mooring and jetty available, fishing is available free of charge from our own ground or from boats launched from our slipway, watersports, 20 golf courses within an hour's drive, National Cycle Route 7 and Rob Roy track nearby. Dogs welcome. The area is surrounded by lochs, mountains and wildlife.
About the Owner
My husband Gus is a well-kent Lochearnhead local, a fourth-generation hospitality business owner in the area. He is passionate about the history and development of the village, as well as being actively involved in the organisation of the Sheep Shearing and is President of the Lochearnhead Highland Games. His father was a champion Highland Games Athlete, and starred in the locally filmed, "Geordie"
His interests include Mountain Rescue, golf, stalking and watersports, so he is a mine of information on these subjects.
I moved here from Edinburgh, 25 years ago, so am almost a local! I enjoy skiing and cycling, especially on the stunning Route 7 cycle track, have climbed all the most local Munros and help in the organisation of the various social events in and around the village.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thank you for two beautiful weeks in your cosy little cottage. We spent wonderful evenings in front of the cosy stove with a cup of heather tea and a shortbread, talking about all the remarkable things we have seen all over beautiful Scotland! We're looking forward to coming back as soon as possible and seeing you in "the Smiddy" again.
Well, here we are, the night we are due to go home, sob,sob. Having spent a great week in the "Smiddy", a beautiful cosy dwelling, overlooking the amazing Lochearn, seen and experienced Scotland's beautiful sites, alas not enough time, (as usual) - WE WILL BE BACK!!
Glorious Lochearnhead, Bathed in Sunshine, Ollie and Gus - delightful, The Smiddy - "Just Perfect" Thank you so very much
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
There are various specialised courses available locally, including Photography, Upholstery and Wildlife/Nature walks and talks by the National Park Ranger Service. Details can be provided on request.
The Smiddy has access to a slipway, jetty, mooring and garden on lochside, within 5 minute walk. The Watersports centre is on the lochside adjacent to this. Being extremely central within Scotland, both the East and West coasts,boasting some Rupert beaches, are approximately 55-60 miles drive.
A car is recommended for this area, but there is a taxi service available in the village.
Glasgow/Edinburgh airports within approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes drive
Railway Stations - Crianlarich- 16 miles, Perth/Stirling - 40 miles
Killin, St Fillans - 7 miles
Stirling - 30 miles
Glasgow - 56 miles
Edinburgh - 68 miles
Fort William - 67 miles
Oban - 58 miles
St Andrews - 60 miles
Loch Lomond - 28 miles
Braemar - 86 miles
Gleneagles - 28 miles
Village Shop - 400 metres
Killin - 7 miles away has a good Cooperative
Comrie/Callander - 16 miles - all shops, including petrol, post office and bank
Larger supermarkets in Stirling and Perth
Tesco and Asda both deliver to the village
Butcher and Fish vans do deliver on certain days, will be in information pack
There are two hotel/pubs in the village, within 5 minutes walk, The Lochearnhead Hotel and The Clachan Cottage. The Watersports Centre is available for breakfast and lunches.
St Fillans offers the Four Seasons Hotel, The Achray and coming soon, The Drummond Arms run by Arran Brewery
Mhor 84 is in Balquhidder, 3 miles away and it's sister hotel, Monachyle Mhor is situated further up the glen.
Crieff has a selection of good eating places including Delevinos and Yanns.
Loch Earn offers watersports, fishing and osprey-spotting in the Summer months.
Other activities within the region are Blair Drummond Safari Park, Go Ape, Auchingarrich Wildlife Centre, Ten-pin bowling, karting and swimming in Perth, Leisure centres in Callander and Crieff.
The Lochearnhead Sheep Shearing Competition is held in June and the Lochearnhead Highland Games in July.
- Booking Notes:
Please contact owner
Our preferred changeover days are at height of season, Saturdays, and in off-season, Saturdays and Tuesdays. However, in deep off-season, we can be more flexible.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower)
- Bedroom 1 - with sink Downstairs Bathroom - WC, bath, hand shower
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 (downstairs) - King size bed Bedroom 2 (upstairs) - Twin beds Bedroom 3 (upstairs) -Twin beds Bedroom 3 (upstairs). - Twin beds
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: The Smiddy is a traditional stone cottage offering a double and two twin bedrooms with a bathroom. The farmhouse kitchen is well equipped with cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer and washing machine. The open plan dining/living area has a pine table and seating for 6, a 3-seater sofa and 3 armchairs, TV and DVD. There is a cosy log-burning stove, with free first supply of logs, and a £1.00 meter for all other electrics. Bedrooms : 3. Bathroom : 1. Living Room : 1. Property Type : Cottage Outside: Easy access to village amenities. Outdoor furniture includes table and seating for 6. A 5 minute walk to use of slipway, jetty and mooring. Parking for 2 cars available. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen provided and hand/bath towel per guest. Kitchen - 2 tea towels, 1 hand towel and oven gloves. Bathroom - bath mat. Weekly change of bedding and towels.