Holiday Farmhouse between Gondrin and Mouchan - Quiet Rural Location
“Le Caillaou” (meaning pebble), is an old converted farmhouse in a secluded setting in an area of outstanding natural beauty, surrounded by sunflowers vineyards and medieval villages. It is situated at the end of a lane with no through traffic. On a clear day the Pyrenees act as back drop to the view from the house. Le Caillaou is situated between the villages of Mouchan and Gondrin which is a 15-20 minute cycle for morning croissants along the ancient paths and quiet roads. It is an ideal spot to either relax or use as a base for walking and cycling and exploring the natural countryside of the Gers.
Top Traveller Review
Marvellous Magical Mouchan
About the Owner
We are a British couple with two children and this is our little retreat from the busy, stress of our working lives. We have so much enjoyed this part of France for it rural feel and slow pace of life. We hope you do too.
We have just returned from a wonderful Easter week. We took the opportunity to go skiing at Le Mongie - perfect for the children and those just learning and we stayed overnight.
The weather was beautiful perfect for walking and cycling. When it is hot, we stay by the pool and in the shade of the barn.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Comfortable and typically French house - wonderful stay - many thanks
A real get away from it all holiday - thank you
5 based on 6 holidaymaker reviews
Marvellous Magical Mouchan
We had a very relaxing time in this very peaceful location and it was everything we had wished for our holiday. The house was very well equipped with multiple dining areas, extensive grounds and picturesque swimming pool. It is surrounded by vineyards, fields of sunflowers and views of the Pyrennes . The house is ideally located for exploring the glorious countryside of the area. We enjoyed numerous cycling excursions, walked a stretch of the Camino and spent a wonderful afternoon canoeing on the Baise.
Lovely family holiday in France
Le Calliaou is a lovely, clean and well maintained French farmhouse. We really enjoyed our week long stay. The children loved the pool, the water park in Gondrin, canoeing at Beaucaire and the French 'Go Ape'. There is plenty of opportunity for walking and cycling in the surrounding countryside which consists of vineyards and fields of sunflowers. There are plenty of local vineyards which sell great wine, we particularly liked Pellehaut, and markets in the local villages which sell all sorts of fresh local produce.
We would recommend the house as an ideal base to explore this beautiful area or even just laze in the sun by the pool!
The holiday was perfect - just what we were looking for. Relaxation and no fuss. Key features for potential customers:
A well equipped kitchen no need to take anything with you.
A big pool which was child safe
Fabulous views across farmlands and sunflower fields
Small supermarket within short distance (15 minute cycle ride)
Oodles of space for the children to play football, rugby, dinosaur hunting and a range of other games (we hardly saw them during the day).
Washing machine so no need to take lots of clothes.
TV with Sky (just take your Sky card with you).
Would highly recommend.
We had a fantastic week in this gorgeous house. The house itself is stunning, beautifully decorated and furnished, sparklingly clean, and absolutely everything you could want is provided.
The swimming pool is beautiful, with unbroken views for miles of the surrounding Olive Groves and Vineyards.
Everything you need is a short car journey (or an envigorating bike ride!) away, and it is truly the most tranquil place you could imagine.
A cheerful and friendly French farmer passes on his tractor sometimes on his way to the fields, so you feel 'in touch' and the lady who prepares the house doesn't live far away.
Summing up, a perfect holiday location with loads of space, lots to see locally if you wish, or just to stay at home and relax.
We will definitely be going back!
A beautiful house with amazing views of the sunflowers and vineyards. Spent a lot of time around the pool relaxing. Very comfortable with good facilities. We chose to eat in most evenings as the local shops made self catering so easy and prices were reasonable too. House is excellently maintained and everything you need is supplied.
The kind of holiday where you can totally relax.
Locals very friendly. Would definitely go again.
A typical Gascony house right in the middle of vineyards and sunflower fields. Very comfortable with good facilities. We chose to cook several evenings using excellent produce from local markets but also ate out in restaurants in the towns and villages. We made good use of the pool. Lots to do in the area and lovely countryside and you can expect good weather too. Thoroughly recommended. Would go again.
From the Owner
“We love the peace, tranquility and quality of life. The local towns are pretty and the summer night markets amazing. The wildlife is fantastic and if you are a star gazer use the telescope to look at the stars in the clear skies -we saw Mars, Jupiter and the Moon so clearly.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
This is a wonderful location for walking, cycling, horse riding and visiting the local "bastide" towns. The famous walking route "St Jaques de Compostella" passes through the countryside. There are walking and cycling maps and walking books at the house. There are many gastronomic places to eat (full details in the house) and lovely locations for long lazy lunches. We have enjoyed several meals at Les Cordiliers in Condom a Michelin starred restaurant.
There is canoeing and a two or three French style go ape course within easy reach of the house for a day out.
The Atlantic coast is about 3 hours driving away to the west. There are many local lakes and water parks the nearest being 7 minutes away in Gondrin. Most of the local villages have water parks which vary in size and facilities. Gondrin is one of the largest in the region.
A car is essential:
Distance from airports: Toulouse Blagnac –approx times - 1hr 30 minutes, Pau 1 hr 40 minutes and Bordeaux 2 hours
Distance from Ports: Calais – 12 hours, Caen 7 1/2 hours driving time without stops
Gondrin is the nearest village at 7 minutes by car with local amenities and a water park (summer only). There are however plenty of picturesque villages within 30 minutes drive or cycle such as Montreal, Larresingle or Fources just waiting to be discovered. Condom is 15 minutes away with large shops and "Les Cordeliers" Michelin starred restaurant. Castera Veduzan is a Spa town with a casino and good restaurants such as Le Florida.
Gondrin is the local village and it is well stocked with a boulangerie, boucherie and a small supermarket, it also has a great water park suitable for all children of all ages when you get bored of the pool! There is also a 17km disused railway track that is easy and safe cycling for children which passes near Gondrin and goes all the way to Condom.
Condom is the main larger town nearby with all the shops, banks and amenities that you would need with a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Also a cinema, river cruises, antique shops and tourist office adjacent to the cathedral plus the librarie gourmande (book shop with cakes!).
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
Early Summer 17
3 Jun 2017 - 24 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
22 Jul 2017 - 26 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
later Summer 17
27 Aug 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
To make a booking contact via email or by phone. Booking is reserved on receipt of a 25% (non-refundable) deposit. The balance is due 8 weeks before the start of the holiday, together with a refundable deposit of £200. For complete peace of mind we advise guests to cover the risk of cancellation with their own holiday insurance.
Bookings in high season run from Saturday 4pm to Saturday 10.00am to allow for cleaning. Earlier arrival may be possible by prior arrangement please enquire. Out of high season flexible dates and days can be accommodated so please do enquire.
Notes on prices:
Prices for the property are in UK sterling. An additional heating charge of 150 GBP is required per week from November to April.
If you are a small party and do not wish to use the whole house please ask and we will see if we can accommodate you and reduce the price.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“If you love the outdoors and exploring nature this is a perfect location for walking, riding, canoeing, fishing, playing golf. It is also a great place for eating and drinking with so many superb places to eat. The water park is also just up the road. If you are there in July and August try one of the night markets such as the one at Sos - take cutlery and glasses if you don't like plastic ones and you buy your food at one of the stalls and eat it as the sun sets. There is usually entertainment and music for the evening. We had a fabulous celebratory evening at "Les Cordiliers" a Michelin restaurant in Condom - amazing food and service”
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure, small shower on ground floor
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Wet room style
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Adjacent to twin and double rooms
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Downstairs
- Bedroom 1 with en-suite wet room with wc and shower Bathroom with bath and shower over and wc, adjacent to bedroom 2 and 3 Bedroom 4 en-suite shower. Also ground floor separate downstairs wc
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, King bedroom with wet room
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, Traditional French double aspect room
- Bedroom 3 - 2 Single Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, Traditional French bedroom with twin french beds
- Bedroom 4 - 3 Single Bed, bunk beds and single bed with shower room on ground floor
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 7/10 (4 Bedrooms) with sofa bed in twin room can accommodate 12 but it would be cosy. Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1:Balcony: King-sized bed plus single bed , Bedroom 2: Double bed views of the Pyrenees when clear. Bedroom 3: Twin beds and double sofa bed view of Pyrenees when clear. Bedroom 4 on the ground floor with bunk beds and a single bed.
- Balcony ...
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Barbecue ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house is a mixture between traditional French style property with a modern extension. There are several areas for eating or sitting and relaxing around the property Outside: There are several seating areas around the house plus an old tobacco barn that can be used to escape the sun and eat al-fresco. In the evening the barn can be lit with fairy lights for romantic meals and evening swimming. The barn is is adjacent to the pool (5 x 10 metres) and there are various sun loungers, a barbeque and outside chairs and tables. During the day red squirrels may be spotted along with other wildlife such as hummingbird moths and swallow tailed butterflies. Birds commonly seen are hoopoes, barn owls, redstarts, red kites, nightingales, hen harriers, buzzards and kestrels. If you are lucky you may see and hear the migrating cranes. The garden has fig, cherry, plum, almond and quince trees. The spectacular clear nights offer wonderful stargazing through the house telescope. There is badminton and some basic fishing and golf equipment. The garden area is big enough for ball games such as football and boules. There are two adult and three children's bikes. Utility Room: Washing machine, dryer, iron and ironing board and clothes airer. There are also bikes, hammocks, badminton fishing and golf equipment here. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and linen provided with the exception of towels for the pool. Linen can be changed weekly by prior arrangement at a small additional cost. Other: There is a separate TV snug area with Sky (UK channels only) which could also be used as an additional bedroom (we can move the sofa bed to here) if required. There is a selection of DVDs for all ages.