Bungalow in Isle Of Jura, Strathclyde (Inc. Islands), Scotland - Quiet And Peaceful Location, 5 Minutes Walk To Island's Only Shop, Pub, Distillery Etc
The cottage was purpose built in 2010, is comfortably furnished and decorated and equipped with everything to make your stay as enjoyable and easy as possible. There is electric heating throughout so that you can stay cosy when it's maybe not quite so warm outside! Situated above the main village of Craighouse, the property enjoys a quiet and peaceful location with spectacular views onto the bay, yet only a few minutes walk down the track you're at the sea, and the main hub of Craighouse.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
5 minutes walk to the sea front - all the main village amenities are beside the sea. There is a very small sandy beach just beside the shop, and there are lots of sandy beaches dotted around the island. The main beach is 2mls from Craighouse - a pleasant drive, walk or cycle!
Jura is mainly accessed via our neighbouring island of Islay, and then a short ferry crossing onto Jura.
Air: Flybe.com operates a twice daily service from Glasgow Airport to Islay.
Ferries: Calmac.co.uk have regular sailings from Kennacraig (approx 3hrs drive from Glasgow) to Islay.
jurapassengerferryruns a 12seater fast rib direct crossing from Tayvallich to Jura, April to September.
ASP Ship management operate the Jura ferry.
Craighouse is the main village on Jura, and is 8mls from Feolin ferry (where the Jura Ferry crosses to and from Islay). Heading north from Craighouse there are small hamlets and settlements dotted along the (only) road which ends just beyond Ardlussa, Beyond this a rough track continues past Barnhill (where George Orwell famously wrote 1984, on to Kenuachdrach and the Gulf of Corrievreckan - home to the worlds third largest whirlpool - spectacular to see in action if wind and tide favour.
Jura is a large but sparsely populated island with a population of approx 200! It is a paradise for walkers and nature lovers alike. The uninhabited west coast offers great walking with spectacular caves and some of the worlds finest raised beaches. The Paps of Jura dominate the islands skyline and can be seen from miles around, but are easily climbed and well worth the effort when you get to the top of one of them and see the view! Red deer, wild goats, eagles, sea eagles, otters are just a few of the normal sights that we islanders are used to but never tire of. After a hard day's hiking (or relaxing) good local food is served daily in the Jura Hotel and Antlers Tearoom, or you can sample the local dram at the Jura distillery. Further afield and a short ferry crossing away is the more populated Islay where you will find shops, beaches, pony trekking, golf, etc, plus another 8 distilleries! Whatever your pleasure - there's plenty to keep you occupied!
- Booking Notes:
Book direct with owner, either by email or phone.
£50 deposit is required to secure the booking, with balance to be paid on arrival.
Our changeover day is normally Saturday, but outwith busy periods we are flexible. We expect guests to vacate by 10.30am on the morning of departure, and arrive no earlier than 2pm.
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- wc bathroom with bath/shower over.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with kingsize bed, and bedroom 2 with twin beds.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Cot and high chair available by prior arrangement. Pets accepted by prior arrangement. No tumble drier but there is an electric airer which is fine for drying clothes inside when it's not so good outside! Wi-fi coming soon! Outside: A door from the hall opens onto a decked area with outside seating. Beyond this there is a large grassy area all around the property - no garden as such as deer and wild goats are regular visitors! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are provided. The property is cleaned weekly and linen and towels are changed weekly. Other: Door from hall leads onto decked area which overlooks the bay.