House in Marrakesh, Marrakech Medina, Morocco - Just Minutes To The Main Square And Souks But Tucked Away In A Very Quiet Location
Charm and comfort combine at this riad which has been our holiday home for over 10 years, the building retains a lot of it's authenticity though modern facilities have been added. The location is second to none and makes exploring this fascinating city on foot very easy, the local area is called Riad Zitoune el Jdid and is the most highly regarded area within the ancient Medina offering tranquil and safe surroundings. The house is very traditional and built around a central courtyard which is where you will find the plunge pool, a fantastic addition that will be much appreciated by those staying during the summer months. Also at ground floor level is a bedroom and bathroom as well as the kitchen. On the first floor is a lovely open loggia style balcony with seating and dining areas, this gives access the salon and two further bedrooms that connect via an en-suite shower room. At the top of the house is a large roof terrace with a shaded seating area, a dining table and sunbeds.
About the Owner
Based in London we first visited Marrakech in 2002, we were besotted and returned soon after when found our little riad which we then renovated and now visit as often as possible.
In London I work as an interior designer and my partner is a GP, we have one son who is now 12 years old and has grown up enjoying his time in Marrakech very much.
This house appealed to us as it is very typical of the local architecture and really quite charming. We love it's quirky layout and it's feel of authenticity rather than a boutique hotel.
The local community are very friendly and we love being deep in the Medina and close to everything.
Guestbook comments from the owner
We stayed here in January with our three children aged 5, 7 and 8. Initially we were going to stay outside the Medina but are glad we changed our minds! Dar Soulahfa is a beautiful Riad with immaculate attention to detail. In a fantastic quiet location and yet only about 8 minutes easy walk to the main square.It is perfect for either a group of friends or family with children as you have the Riad to yourselves so don't have to worry too much if the children are noisy (unlike other Riads) We ate in one evening and the food was delicious.
The staff were also lovely and great with the children. In all We can't recommend Dar Soulahfa highly enough and we will certainly return next time we visit Marrakech.
From the Owner
“We first visited Marrakech in 2002, we were besotted and returned soon after when we found our little riad which we then renovated and now visit as often as possible. Marrakech is just 3 hrs from the UK but you could be a million miles away, there is nowhere even remotely like this place in Europe. A prospect that can intimidate some but we adore the differences, love the food, the people, the sights, the smells and the challenges such a place offers. This house allows us to dive into the chaos of this fascinating city for as long as we wish knowing that the peace and calm awaits us on our return.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
I am very happy to work with visitors who may wish to organise activities for during their stay. In the past we have arranged cookery classes, camel riding, trekking, quad biking and so many other things.
The house has also hosted several birthday celebrations when the staff have preared a special meal and for organised traditional musicians to play, this all happens up on the roof terrace and usually turns into quite a party as the staff can't help but join in with singing and dancing.
We also have a good driver with a new people carrier that seats up to 6 people and can be available for any trips visitors my wish to make out of town, I am very happy to recommend suitable trips if required.
I am also happy to provide recommendations for restaurants, bars and children activities.
One of the day trips available is to the nearest coast at Essaouira, a lovely little fishing town now a very popular visitor destination with some great seafood restaurants and interesting shops. Other resorts are also within reach but may be better done as an overnighter such at Oualidia, Safi, El Jadida and Azemmour
Marrakech airport is located close to town with a taxi transfer taking around 15 - 20 minutes and costing about 200 Dh (£16) or less.
We have a good driver who I can organise to meet you from your flight and take you to the house, he can do the same at the end of your stay either back to the airport or on to another destination if you wish.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
19 Jan 2016 - 1 Jul 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
On booking I will request a deposit payment with the remainder due 4 weeks before the stay commences.
Payment can be by bank transfer, cheque or PayPal.
I can be very flexible, terms can be discussed.
We can be very flexible, change over days can be arranged to suit as long as they fit with existing bookings.
Notes on prices:
Please contact me for stays of a different duration.
The price if for up to 4 adults, additional adults incur a charge of £50 per week to cover breakfast etc.
A nightly rate would start at £110.00 depending on length of stay.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The contrast of being out and about on the busy streets followed by the calm and quiet of the house is an experience we love, just seconds from the house the streets team with life but once indoors you could be miles away. With an almost infinite choice of cafes, bars, restaurants and shops within a few minutes walk the location is something we really enjoy and the shear indulgence of having Atiqa and Khadija to take care of the house and to cook for us is something we look forward to all the time. It really does feel like such a privilege to be able to witness a very different culture from within, we do understand that the Medina can prove a bit of a culture shock for some but once you relax into the pace of life here the experience can be spellbinding.”
- Air Conditioning
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- city centre
- water parks
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bedroom 1 and 2 connect via an en-suite shower room which has proved an ideal arrangement for families with young children. Next to bedroom 3 is a full bathroom with western style bath and separate shower. There is an additional small shower room and WC
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with one large double bed and space for a childs cot. Air Con. Bedroom 2 with one large double bed. Air Con. Bedroom 3 with one large double bed. Air Con. It is possible to accommodate 1 extra person on a sofa in the salon.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: During summer stays visitors will benefit from the air-conditioning in each of the bedrooms, a fan is provided for the salon. In winter the A/C units act as heaters and there are additional electric heaters too. The salon has an open fire for chilly evenings in winter. Outside: A very private plunge pool is located in the central courtyard, it measures 2.5m x 1.5m and is not heated but it is a fantastic addition to the accommodation during the summer months as the temperatures rise, and great fun for children. Open seating areas at first floor level encourage outdoor living and the roof terrace offers a large space with shaded seating. A dining table and sunbeds can also be found up here. The roof terrace is a lovely space to while away a few hours, during the day, the call to prayer drifts across the city and storks fly overhead. In the evenings you can hear the distance music from the square while you look out for shooting stars. Utility Room: There is a washing machine at the house and Atiqa will be happy to do laundry if necessary. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The house comes with a maid service, Khadija will take care of the cleaning and bed making during your stay. We provide bed linen and towels which will be changed mid-stay for visits longer than 7 nights. Other: In addition to the salon there are seating and dining areas on an open loggia that overlooks the pool below.