House in Maypool Nr. Galmpton, Kingswear South Devon England - Peaceful Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 5 Mins Drive To Local Beaches
Nestled alongside Agatha Christie's Estate, Maypool Lodge is a quiet oasis, with the River Dart flowing past in the valley below. Yet, it is also perfectly located for an incredible variety of local attractions, whether on the National Trust footpaths, directly outside the door, or by steam train or river ferries, all within walking distance. There are beautiful beaches nearby and a local golf club.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
About Melanie Bowering
Melanie Bowering purchased this house in 2014
(2 traveller reviews)
Just had a lovely week at Maypool Lodge. Weather was glorious, house in beautiful setting, kids loved playing in the woods and on the swing. The view from the lower tier of the garden is spectacular and this was our chill spot. The bedrooms are very spacious. House spotlessly clean and well equipped and Maria was very welcoming and helpful.
Great house, great location. My family and I enjoyed a great half term week here. The children particularly enjoyed the woodland (age range 2 to 12) the adults enjoyed the peaceful location. We found the property accurately described, well maintained, clean and well equipped. The owners could not have been more helpful. We would recommend to friends/relatives. With 10 to cater for we did not venture to any local eateries but there was plenty to do and enjoy in the surrounding district.
Activity and Interests
Our closest beach, ten minutes by car is Broadsands, a lovely bay and very safe for children plus rock pools at low tide. Alongside there is a pitch and put for the older children and kayaks for rent. A stroll takes you to Elbury cove where jet skis and speed boats have access to the beach or you can swim in the beautiful clear water. There are numerous other beaches in torbay all offering something a little different. If you cross the river at Dartmouth you can then drive to Blackpool sands, a
The nearest airport is Exeter, 32 miles and usually 45 min journey depending on traffic. Next is Bristol, 95 miles and around 2hr journey. The closest ferry is into Plymouth about 1hrs driving.
From the north the M5 brings you right into the heart of Devon and then dual carriage until about the last 10 miles. Paignton and Totnes are on the main train lines.
Our nearest village is Galmpton, which is a two mile walk for supplies from the village shop/ post office or to visit our local pub, The Manor, for refreshment and good local food. Next is Brixham, 4 miles away, with working harbour and many eating places to suit all pockets. There is a small beach and outdoor pool under the cliffs of Berry Head with its spectacular view and hill fort. Paignton, 4miles has great beaches and its famous Zoo.
Maypool gives you a beautiful quiet location, the setting seems to drain all the angst from body and mind so you can totally relax and unwind. Once refreshed there is an abundance of places to visit and activities for all ages. For adults there are the National Trust properties, Greenway,close by, Colton Fishacre, with beautiful Art Deco furniture and others in the region.
Slightly further afield you have vibrant Salcombe, with water side bistros and boutique shops and just across the ferry wonderful Dartmouth with so much to offer.
The area is a walkers paradise with the beautiful coastal and river paths or the wild and dramatic Dartmoor. You don't even have to take the car but set off right outside the door. You could take the ferry across to Dittisham and walk up to Sharpham House to eat and sample the wine from its own vineyard or venture further up the river by ferry to Totnes, an old historic town and Dartington Hall on its doorstep.
For the younger ones there are so many beaches, many with water sport amenities and the Water Park at Goodrington just 3miles away. The Woodlands adventure Park near Dartmouth has many indoor and outdoor fun activities and rides. Then there is The Model Village, Kents Cavern and Paignton Zoo, all so close.
All this and in such beautiful surroundings.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Please contact owner
Please contact owner
Notes on prices:
Prices are dependent on time of year. We try to keep them very reasonable.
10% on booking acceptance, balance 8weeks before occupation date.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- jet skiing
- bay fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Family bathroom includes bath with shower unit, toilet, basin and heated towel radiator. En suite shared between bedroom1 and 2 with shower, basin and toilet plus heated towel radiator. Downstairs cloakroom with toilet.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 plus 2 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom1 large room, double bed, dressing table, wardrobe and table and chairs in window area. Bedroom 2, two three quarter beds, wardrobe, Set of drawers. Bedroom3, double bed, wardrobe, Set of drawers. Bedroom 4, twin beds, wardrobe and set of drawers.
- Golf ...
- Outside: Maypool is in a wonderful peaceful location and from the lower tier of the garden there is a seating area with a magnificent view down the river to Dartmouth. You can also see the steam travelling over the viaduct. Immediately outside in the garden area is decking with table and chairs and a real sun-trap. Here you can barbecue or just soak up the peace. Alongside the garden there is an acre of woodland to explore and this backs onto the national trust land and footpath. From there you can walk to Agatha Christies or to the greenway ferry quay or The Halt to catch the steam train. Utility Room: Outside utility room with washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The property is cleaned at the end of each visit when all linen and towels are changed. Other: The dining room has table and chairs, side board and looks out onto the court yard which catches the late afternoon sun.