Apartment in Colmer, Modbury, South Devon, England - Year round unrivalled quality environment
Hollyhocks is the gateway to the perfect holiday! Hollyhocks is a beautiful, dog friendly, secluded holiday retreat within the grounds of the lovely Colmer Estate with full access to on site family leisure facilities, just 10 minutes off the A38.. A short drive away enjoy The South Hams at its best, with beautiful sandy coves and beaches. Explore historic and intriguing waterside towns and villages like Dartmouth and Salcombe. Venture just a few miles inland to enjoy the spectacular rugged natural environment of Dartmoor, one of England’s greatest National Parks. There is much to choose from locally whether its a bracing moorland walk ,a cream tea, sandcastles or a paddle. Hollyhocks has now been our family’s holiday “sanctuary” for nearly 10 years and we still spend a lot of time there ourselves. We have even had big family gatherings by renting adjoining properties. (Its soooo great when everyone finally goes back to their own accommodation!) The property is furnished, equipped and maintained to a high standard, yet it retains a comfortable homely feel. Relax and unwind with good quality Bose Audio and SMART TV or enjoy cooking on the Webber barbeque or in the well equipped kitchen. Cooks are welcome to use our extensive range of herbs and spices. Many of our guests return again for another satisfying and memorable holiday. Located at the rear corner of the Georgian Colmer House, Hollyhocks remains peaceful and private both inside and in the garden area.The open plan living, kitchen, dining area makes it perfect for family living. It is warm and cosy in the winter especially with the heated bathroom floor, and cool in summer with very attractive floor tiling throughout the living area. The beds are good quality and very comfortable providing you with a good nights sleep.
Top Traveller Review
Great stay in great location & facilities within the estateGreat stay in great location & facilities within the estate
Overall would thoroughly recommend
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
“We have all been very happy,the beds are so comfy for a holiday let.( We have slept in some very thin beds before) The sofa bed in the lounge is fantastic quality can I be cheeky and ask where you got it from? The boys have caught some 4lb Carp on sweetcorn if anyone asks from the pond, and the indoor pool was a hit too!
We have all been very impressed with the decor and how homely the apartment feels, and I will be happy to recommend Hollyhocks to any friends and family. “
2 holidaymaker reviews
Great stay in great location & facilities within the estate
Fantastic week, the property was very clean and functional, TV, Wifi, washing machine, dishwasher which made life a lot easier, the grounds in the estate are great, the 2 pools are a blessing, both heated, but gives kids options and a change of scenery, perfect to keep them occupied on rainy dull days, we were lucky enough not to have any on our stay. Grounds are big enough for dog walks and a bonus that dogs are allowed at the property.
Overall would thoroughly recommend
Fab little cottage, superb area.
This is a fantastic little cottage in the most beautiful setting, the cottage is well equipped with everything and more you could need for a relaxing holiday. The facilities are second to none, the owner even left a fishing rod which my son used to catch 9 fish on the fishing lake. There are tennis racquets and balls, table tennis bats, buckets and spades and more which we used. the swimming pools were a big hit, the local beaches are great and even have areas for dogs. Thank you for the bottle of wine on arrival, I just can't wait until we go back, one of the best places I've been to in a long time. Thank you x
Activity and Interests
Visit Wonwell beach, the Pilchard Inn on Burgh Island, ride the sea tractor back when the tide comes in! Visit Salcombe. Enjoy fish and chips at the Anchor, Hope Cove. Go surfing at Bantham. Drive the tidal road at Aveton Gifford. Lunch at the Oyster Shack. See Thurlestone rock at Milton Sands. Discover WW2 at Slapton Sands. Enjoy a pint at the Ship at Noss Mayo- all within 30 min drive. If you miss shops then Plymouth is close, and beyond that the Cornish coastline with its fishing villages.
By car from Exeter along the A38 is under one hour, and from Plymouth is under 30 minutes. Exeter is the nearest airport within one hour drive. Trains come in from Plymouth or Exeter to Totnes which is the nearest station.
Nearest small town is Modbury 7 miles, Kingsbridge 6 miles- nearest TESCOs , Totnes-nearest Morrisons, Dartmouth nearest Sainsburys and Lidl.
The excellent facilities of the Colmer estate are all free of charge and exclusively for the use of the Colmer guests. These include swimming pools, a tennis court, fishing lake, fitness suite, adventure playground, walled garden and games room.
The fitness suite is equipped with rowing, walking and cycling machines, a sit up frame and a bench press with weights. 28 acres of private grounds include a mixture of grass lawns, woodland, wild flower meadows, a walled garden equipped with children’s play equipment and boules pitch. Coarse fishing is available on the private lake, which is stocked with large carp and golden rudd.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Autumn half term
22 Oct 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
If you wish to book we take a 30% deposit on booking and the balance is payable 6 weeks before your holiday. Also required is a £200 refundable security cheque. Payment can be made by cheque or online bank transfer.
At high season changeover day is Saturday, with arrival after 4 pm and departure by 10 am
The rest of the year can be more flexible by arrangement.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Holiday Complex
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- Game Room ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Stereo ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Heated Pool
- Indoor Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom with heated tiled floor, heated towel rail, Wall mounted hot air heater, Basin with mirror over, WC, bath with instant hot water shower over. Mirrored bathroom cabinet and glass shelves.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: Iron bedstead style double bed with good quality memory foam mattress, electric blanket (if required). Bedroom 2: Twin beds Sofa bed in living area.
- Golf ...
- Outside: Our garden is surrounded by a low hedge, with parasol, table, chairs, BBQ and a swinging arbour,and a storage box containing a range of equipment including tennis rackets, boules, table tennis bats, crab lines, buckets, beginners fishing rod, folding chairs.The 19 privately owned properties share these idyllic 28 acres, and in addition there are many communal spaces to be enjoyed, from the formal front “croquet” lawn of the house to less formal walled garden. There are also plenty of opportunities to find your own spots, and with a little effort you can walk up to the top field and enjoy the view up onto Dartmoor, look for signs of foxes and badgers in our woods, or pretend to be Captain Hook walking the planks across the stream in the strange and beautiful Gunnera walk. The swimming pools, tennis court and fishing lake are just seconds away. In the large walled garden there is a childrens’ climbing frame, boules court, picnic areas, and a log cabin with pool table and darts. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen is provided, plenty of towels provided but NOT pool towels. Variety of cleaning products provided and full cleaning service on departure. Weekly change of bedding and towels.