House in Varen, Tarn et Garonne, Midi-Pyrenees, France - Peaceful, Secluded Setting Yett Near To The Local Village On River Aveyron
The house is attractive and comfortable, offering all amenities for an enjoyable holiday. There are two outside dining terraces, table tennis, shaded tree lined areas in garden and a swimming pool 10mX5m depth 1.10m -1.75m which benefits from all day sun and a cabana to one side for shade. There is a good table tennis table and equipment, a gas barbecue, two bicycles, lots of sun loungers and umbrellas. The village is on River Aveyron where there are opportunities for canoeing, kayaking and river swimming. There is a fine Romanesque church and a small chateau, now the Mairie, and remains of the walls and gate of the medieval village. Nearby, St Antonin is anunspoiled medieval town, has a lively Sunday market and restaurants/bars.It also boasts the oldest civic building in France.There are local train stations at Lexos and Laguepie for trips to Toulouse 1hr + away and 45 mins drive away is Albi with its famous cathedral and impressive Toulouse Lautrec Museum.
About the Owner
About Eileen Davidson
I live and work in the uk, but come to France for at least two months every year.
I regard the house as very much my home away from home.
Eileen Davidson purchased this house in 2005
Why Eileen Davidson chose
I bought the house in 2005 and enjoy at least two months a year there. The different seasons offer different attractions, but the countryside is always appealing. Friends and family love staying at the house enjoying the stunning views and the tranquility and seclusion while still being within walking distance of the bakery for bread and croissants.
Walking, canoeing, kayaking, riding, River and pool swimming are among the attractions. It is popular with bird watchers and climbers and offers good cycling.
What makes this house unique
The property has land beyond the garden for children to run around in and ample space for family games.
The pool is in sunshine all day and there are shady areas beneath the trees for those who want to read in peace.
One of the features for me are the wonderful night skies - without light pollution star gazing for the expert or amateur is an endless fascination.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
From the Owner
“I bought the house in 2005 and enjoy at least two months a year there. The different seasons offer different attractions, but the countryside is always appealing. Friends and family love staying at the house enjoying the stunning views and the tranquility and seclusion while still being within walking distance of the bakery for bread and croissants. Walking, canoeing, kayaking, riding, River and pool swimming are among the attractions. It is popular with bird watchers and climbers and offers good cycling.”
Activity and Interests
Rodez and Toulouse are the two most convenient airports. They both take approx 90 minutes by car. it is possible to take a train to Toulouse and then an airport bus to Blagnac, but a car is necessary for your holiday.
St Antonin Noble Val 15 minutes' drive
Cordes sur Ciel 25 minutes
Albi 40 minutes
Cahors 1 hour
Montauban 40 minutes
Villefranche de Rouergue 40 minutes
There are village fetes throughout July and August with lots of attractions in the surrounding villages.Concerts, opera at Bruniquel and popular music in attractive settings. They are well publicised and info will be left in the house about them.
There is a Carrefour and other supermarkets in St Antonin and Casino in Laguepie a small Vival in the village. There is a market on Saturday morning in Varen for food and on Sunday morning in St Antonin and some summer evening markets here too.
Horse riding, canoeing, kayaking and walking are the main pastimes of people visiting the region. Lots of interesting hill top towns and villages - this is Cathar country and evidence of conflicts religious and otherwise can be explored.
Montauban is the birthplace of Ingres to whom there is a museum dedicated. Albi holds the main collection of Toulouse Lautrec's work housed next to the cathedral.
There is a very good cinema in St Antonin privately run offering films in their original version for rainy days - excellent programme.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£100|
Please contact by email stating which weeks you would like to book the house. `i will require a non returnable 20% deposit to secure the booking. The balance to be paid one month before arrival. There will be a £100 added to cover breakages which can be refunded at the end of the stay.
The payment will be in sterling to the bank account name and number provided.
The preferred changeover day is Friday. This is particularly important during the high season. Arrival after 5pm and departure at 10am. please leave the house tidy and the dishes washed as you found it.
20% to secure booking and the remainder payBle one month before arrival date. £100 returnable deposit against breakages
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property has land beyond the garden for children to run around in and ample space for family games. The pool is in sunshine all day and there are shady areas beneath the trees for those who want to read in peace. One of the features for me are the wonderful night skies - without light pollution star gazing for the expert or amateur is an endless fascination.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom near Bed 1 bath, basin, shower, wc (spacious) Bed 2: shower, basin wc en suite Bed 3 twin: shower basin wc en suite Bed 4 annexe: shower, basin wc nearby(exclusive use)
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1; double bed, wardrobe, drawers, bathroom bath/ shower/ wc Bedroom 2: double, wardrobe, drawers en suite shower/ wc Bedroom 3: Twin beds wardrobe, drawers en suite shower/ wc Bedroom 4 (annexe) Double bed,wardrobe balcony, drawers, shower /wc
- Notes on accommodation: One double room en suite and the twin bedded room en suite are situated next to each other with a separate landing and door. There is constant and plentiful hot water. There are occasional summer storms and the television reception can be disrupted at these times. There are numerous village fetes during the summer and the Varen fete is the last weekend in July. It is fun, but noisy. Outside: There are two outdoor terraces with tables and chairs, and parasols. the swimming pool has Roman steps 10mx5m and graded depth 1.25m -1.75m, a pool alarm and a pool cover. It is for the exclusive use of the guests. It is not heated. There is attractive planting of lavender and grasses and a wooden decking surround. Table tennis table, hammock numerous sun loungers and chairs for outdoors and sun umbrellas. Utility Room: Ironing board and iron - linen cupboard next to bathroom. Washing machine in garage see above. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels will be provided and beds made up on arrival. A supply of towels for pools use also. The property will not be cleaned during your stay unless specifically requested and this would involve extra cost. approx 18 euros an hour. Other: Very attractive Attic sitting room with TV and DVD player free view stations via satellite. One sofa, one double sofa bed, coffee table, fans, desk, bookshelves, books games an occasional chair and footstool. One small single sofa/bed.