Madeteni, Kilifi, Kenya Coast - Fully staffed with team including cook. Seafood brought daily up from the beach.
This is a beautiful house, designed in the Swahili style, and sleeps up to 14 guests. Bedrooms are situated around an arched courtyard. Walk through the indigenous garden with its exceptional birdlife, past the warm 30 metre infinity swimming pool, down the coral cliff path to the deserted white sandy beaches and the warm Indian Ocean. The house is fully staffed with a highly trained team, including a cook, and sous chef. Food specialities of the house include fish and shellfish from local fishermen brought up from the beach. Children are very welcome. Cots and highchairs can be provided, as well as extra help from local ayahs (nannies).
About the Owner
My husband and I have travelled widely, and lived in Kenya, for many years. We settled in Derbyshire in 1983. My husband owns his own accountancy practice in the local town, and I have recently got a degree in Fine Art. I am now a practicing artist.
We enjoy country pursuits, the garden, tennis and travelling.
We also have a holiday home on the coast in Kenya, where we go as often as we can in the winter.
Guestbook comments from the owner
A genuine palace by the sea. Extremely well looked after by a team of staff who can turn their hands to anything we wanted. Lovely views, comfortable beds and delicious food, particularly the crab and giant prawns.
From the Owner
“We suddenly came across a plot with direct access onto the Indian Ocean near Watamu. It fulfilled all our expectations, and with the help of a local builder built our dream house.”
Activity and Interests
The house and its gardens are situated on the Indian Ocean. A few minutes walk through the indigenous garden takes you to the edge of the sea and the choice of several white sandy beaches. At high tide it is possible to surf using boogie boards, and at low tide the sea is very calm with plenty of rock pools for small children to enjoy.
Malindi airport is 30 minutes drive from the house.
Mombasa International Airport is a 2 hour drive. We can provide a taxi service, and recommend hire cars.
Flying into Nairobi will mean a further short flight down to Malindi or Mombasa.
A car is recommended, as the house is located in a very quiet location
The house is equi- distant, by car, from Kilifi, Watamu and Malindi, which are all a forty minute drive.
Upon turning off the main Mombasa Malindi road at Matsangoni, there are a few local shops. There is a large international supermarket at Malindi, and a supermarket in Kilifi, with two smaller supermarkets in Watamu. Mombasa can provide many more shops selling imported goods, but is a two hour drive and has traffic problems at peak times. There are excellent hotel restaurants, and smaller eateries in Watamu, Kilifi and Malindi. There are also reputable banks.
Water sports of all types can be found in Kilifi (details on the website).
Excellent deep sea fishing is based in Watamu, for which this part of the Indian Ocean is world renowned. It is also possible to snorkel and visit the marine park in a glass bottomed boat. Kite surfing and water skiing are also on offer.
Game parks are within reach by car, or also small plane. The Arabuko-Sukoki Forest is very near to the house. There are snake parks in Malindi and Watamu where is possible to handle the snakes. Haller Park in Mombasa offers more for children, where they are allowed to walk amongst the monkeys and tortoises and feed the giraffes by hand.
Lots of interesting shopping in Malindi.
- Booking Notes:
Please contact either of the listed names in the website. Deposits of 20% are needed upon booking, with the remainder due 8 weeks before the visit.
Payment can be accepted in Sterling, Dollars, Euros or Kenya Shillings.
Changeover days and arrival and departure times can be entirely flexible to suit visitors.
Notes on prices:
Please contact us to find out about availability and prices. High season, Xmas and New Year $1000, (£600) per night, Mid season, Easter and July and August $800, (£500) per night, and at all other times $640 (£400) per night.The house can be taken by smaller groups, and prices will be reduced depending on numbers.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“It is the ultimate for relaxation and warmth. The friendly team of staff cater to every need, and produce delicious local food. The warm water of the Indian Ocean, is the greatest thrill, both at calm low tide, and a rougher bathe at high tide. The 30 metre swimming pool, which is wonderfully warm too, is a great alternative. Twilight is very short, and as darkness comes early, the experience of drinking cocktails under the stars on the star terrace, with the whole sky all around is unforgettable.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 5 - Shower Enclosure
- Master bedroom, and adjacent single has en-suite with shower 2 kingsized doubles both with en-suite shower 1 large twin with en-suite shower 1 smaller twin, and large single with shared en-suite shower
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (8 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: The master suite with single adjacent 2 kingsized doubles 1 large twin 1 smaller twin 1 large single 2 smaller singles
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The master bedroom, has a single room adjacent, with en suite shower room. There are two king bedded rooms each with en suite shower. A large twin-bedded room which has internal access to one of the king-bedded rooms. A smaller twin bedded room and a single room with shared shower room. One very small single bedded room Outside: Upon arrival gates open onto a drive which curves around to the front door of the house. The house is set in 6 1/2 acres, and is situated in the centre of the plot with beautiful views in all directions. The gardens are left as indigenous, with cultivated palm trees and water feature in the courtyard. Paths lead through the gardens to the private swimming pool, and to the beach. Apart from the well furnished loggia, there is outdoor furniture for the pool house, and courtyard. There is also a large barbecue. A further building houses the generator and utility room with plenty of storage. Utility Room: Washing machine. Washing is dried outside. Separate utility and ironing room. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are included, and the house is cleaned daily by a team of two. Towels and sheets are changed twice a week, or more if required. Swimming towels are also provided Other: Various areas can be used both in and around the courtyard for sitting and relaxing in the shade.