House near Kilcar,County Donegal, Ireland - The Holiday Home Has Bedroom Accommodation For 7 People And Sofa Bed Accommodation For 2
Parts of the building exterior hark back to its original function but the inside has been completely modernised with the new extensions making the most of the sea views. The holiday home now has a number of different living spaces including the main living room, a spacious furnished balcony and a conservatory style living area adjacent the kitchen – the latter two areas enjoying sea views. The holiday home has bedroom accommodation for 7 people and sofa bed accommodation for 2 on the first floor balcony.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
5 based on 2 holidaymaker reviews
Old Shalwy is a wee gem. We - my husband, 6-yr-old son and I - spent a fortnight there last July, with friends and extended family visiting for days on end at various intervals. Memories were made: Of bodyboarding on the most spectacular beaches, walks on Slieve League, coffees and chocolate cake in Teelin, and most importantly, big dinners for 20 people plus in the wonderful Shalwy. Beautiful but relaxed interior design, a high-spec kitchen, light-drenched space with breathtaking views, generous facilities and space allowed for cooking indulgence and guest comfort. There were nooks to accommodate teenagers looking at DVDs, kids playing tip the can and having water balloon 'fights', alongside adults drinking wine and enjoying the company and views. The utility room was a Godsend after long beach days. Wetsuits dried out each evening on any of the many terraces. The tranquil road Shalwy overlooks made for a great running track, often with only the sheep for company. It was home from home but with a holiday halo. I missed it when I returned to Dublin. So much so that we're returning again this July. I can't wait.
I stayed here with my partner and 11mt old son for a week in early December 2013.
It's the most beautiful house so comfortable and cosy, peaceful and relaxing. The open plan areas are fab, the kitchen is so well equipped, and it's lovely to enjoy cooking breakfast early in the early morning with the sunrise coming up in full view through the big windows!
The evening is the sitting room with the wood pellet fire are gorgeous. Loved not having a tv to distract from the peace and tranquil setting!
The views are stunning from all around the house especially the viewing room off the kitchen and upper balcony! Bedrooms are comfortable lots of storage and great beds and linen was lovely and fresh. Bathrooms were also great lovely tyling and really functional. The house has all you could need and more! The design is fab the high ceilings and openness give a lovely spence of space!
We had great weather especially for December! We did lovely walks on local beaches as well and a few good drives all around the coastal towns! Can only imaging how gorgeous this house would be in the summer! As there is great outdoor space for eating as well!
Well as you can see we loved it! Cannot recommend this house highly enough!
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Visit the Glencolmcille Folk Village Museum - experience life as it was in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's. The thatched cottages are exact replicas of those belonging to that era and are furnished accordingly.
Go sea angling, dolphin spotting or birdwatching from Teelin Pier or Killybegs.
Go sightseeing - by boat or by road - to the spectacular Sliabh Liag and Bunglas Cliffs (12 km).
Enjoy a meal in the award winning Kitty Kellys Restaurant - just 2km from the holiday home.
Visit Studio Donegal in Kilcar for a demonstration of weaving cloth and browse through their fine selection of traditional and fashion knitwear.
Find numerous peaceful roads, country lanes and mountain tracks to walk. Slí Colmcille is a Bealach na Gaeltachta Waymarked Way that goes from Kilcar to Ardara via Glencolmcille.
Visit the ruins of the famine village of Port - a hidden gem!
Enjoy beautiful unspoilt beaches in the locality – Muckross, Fintra, and the wonderful Silver Strand in Malinbeg.
The small Muckross Peninsula south of the village has a lovely sheltered bay and beach that is popular for bathing. 4km to the east of the holiday home is the beautiful blue flag Fintra Beach. A furher 4 km brings you into the bustling fishing town of Killybegs that is well served with shops pubs and restaurants.
The holiday home is 4km form Kilcar and 8km west of Killybegs. The small coastal village of Kilcar has a rich history in tweed weaving and textiles with local products available for purchase. It is a peaceful village that comes to life in the summer evenings with traditional music being a regular feature in one of the local pubs. Kilcar sits in an area of stunning natural beauty with the highlight being the spectacular cliffs at nearby Slieve League.
Non smoking property.No pets allowed.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
24 Dec 2016 - 7 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£251|
Booking deposit (non-refundable) of 25% - with balance to be paid six weeks prior to the letting period together with security deposit of €250.The security deposit will be refunded within 7 days of leaving (assuming there has been no damage to the property or its contents).
Sat – Sat except by special arrangement.
Notes on prices:
Easter € 750
25% non refundable booking deposit. Balance payable 6 weeks prior to arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There is also a large bathroom with bath and overhead shower on the ground floor. Ensuite with shower to Bedroom 1
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: ground floor double ,ensuite with shower Bedroom 2: ground floor twin bedroom,garden view Bedroom 3: ground floor single bedroom Bedroom 4: upstairs double bedroom A sofa bed on the first floor balcony can sleep an extra two.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Sunroom: This living space has a tiled floor and 2 comfortable 2 seater sofas. It enjoys lovely views towards the sea. Outside: The spacious balcony overlooking the living room represents a third living space within the holiday home. Again it is tastefully furnished and enjoys superb sea views. Landscaped gardens front and rear. Patio area with furniture Utility Room: A separate utility room has a washing machine and tumble dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen and towels included. Electricity (metered) & central heating (metered) are not included. Check in 4pm, check out 11am.Property must be left in clean condition otherwise a cleaning fee of €50 will be deducted from security deposit. Other: From the living room: At one end of the room double glass doors lead out to the patio area. At the other end double doors lead to the kitchen and dining area and a modern glass panelled staircase leads to an overhead balcony.