Cottage in Benenden, Kent, England - Beautiful & Peaceful Location Ideally Placed For Day Trips To London, Or To France, Or To The Beach
The cottage was once our Milking Parlour. We converted it a few years ago using local materials where ever possible. The sitting room has cherry wood floors that were made using the wood from local trees that fell during the great storm of 1997. The floor boards upstairs are made from reclaimed scaffold boards that were used in the construction of the Channel Tunnel! There are green oak beams cut from local woods, original oil paintings, reclamation yard finds & quirky details that make this cottage unique. The whole cottage is centrally heated, though a wood-burning stove makes it especially cosy in winter. We even provide the logs for your wood burner. In Summer the south facing courtyard is a real sun trap. You can relax there after a hard day's exploring the numerous country walks & vineyards & gardens & pubs & beaches! We hope the cottage is equipped with everything you need, but if not, we'll try to get it for you.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
The lovely Cinque Port town of Rye is 25 mins away. With its cobbled streets & smuggler past & great fish restaurants, it is well worth a visit.
Camber sands is just over 30 mins away, & is by far the best local beach. It has fantastic sand dunes and wide open sandy beaches.
The seaside town of Hastings is 30 mins away. It has a great Old Town & famous fishing huts. Great place to have fish & chips on the pebbled beach.
Gatwick is nearest international airport 52 miles via M25, (1 hour 12 mins, hopefully!)
Staplehurst is nearest train station, 8 miles, ( 15 mins). Trains run twice an hour to London Charing Cross. Journey time of 1 hour.
Dover is 40 miles, ( just less than an hour away).
Folkestone a little less, 34 miles ,(50ish mins away).
It is best to have a car because we are in a rural location & our buses are infrequent.
The village of Benenden is 1 mile away.
There are 2 market towns nearby. Tenterden is the biggest, has a broad tree lined high street lined with interesting shops & restaurants & a Waitrose.
Cranbrook is slightly smaller
If you love to visit gardens we are ideally situated. Ramsden Farm is situated near the picturesque village of Beneden and is the ideal location from which to visit many of the attractions of the Garden of England. Bodiam Castle, the famous gardens of Sissinghurst Castle and Great Dixter are only 10 minutes away. Batemans, Rudyard Kiplings home from 1902, is only a little further away.
The following is a list of attractions to get you started:-
Places of Interest under 10 miles away :
Marle Place gardens and gallery
Rolvenden Historic Vehicle Collection
Finchcocks Museum of Music
Biddenden and Chapel Down Vineyards
Silcocks Organic Farm Shop
Hartley Dyke Farm Shop and fish shop
Nearby Farmers Markets take place in Rolvenden, Cranbrook and Sissinghurst
Other open gardens seasonally, copy of the Yellow Book available.
Under 25 miles away
Hastings Old Town and Fire Hills
The recently refurbished 1930s De la Warr Pavilion in Bexhill
Within 30/ 40 mins drive
Goodnestone Park Gardens
The Romney Marsh Churches
The birdwatchers’ haven of Dungeness
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
30 Sep 2016 - 19 Dec 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
20 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A deposit of £200 (per week or part week booked), secures your booking.
Unfortunately I do not have card facilities so payment has to be either by cheque or Bank Credit Transfer. Whichever is easier for you. The balance is not be due until 1 month before your arrival.
Change over day has always been Saturday, but in 2016 it will be changed to Friday to Friday. In certain circumstances this can be adjusted.
You can arrive any time after 4pm.
If you could check out by 10.30am, so we can clean the cottage in readiness for the next visitors, that would be great.
- Available arrival
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- pier fishing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- There are 2 bathrooms in the cottage. The first is on the ground floor & is a wet room with a shower, a WC & basin. Upstairs there is a bathroom with an antique cast iron bath, a WC & basin. Non of the bedrooms are en suite.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms. A double and a twin. They are served by a bathroom with an antique tub. On the ground floor there is a twin bedroom that can use the downstairs wet room. There is an extra single bed on the upstairs landing if needed.
- Outside: There is ample parking for several cars. The cottage has a large south facing private courtyard. There are tables & chairs, a couple of sun loungers, a large sun umbrella, & a BBQ for you to use. Utility Room: There is a washing machine and tumble dryer in the utility room plus an iron ironing board. There is also a 'Sheila Maid', (old fashioned clothes airer), so that you can dry your clothes inside if it's raining. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Rental includes all bed linen & tea towels but we do not provide towels unless you are flying. Each week the bed linen is changed and the cottage is cleaned.