Stone cottage on Cape Clear Island Cork Absolute Peace And Quiet, 20 Minutes Walk From The Harbou
Recently renovated 19th century stone cottage, 2 double and 1 twin bedroom with oil fired central heating, wood burning stove, dishwasher, wifi, and TV. An idyllic rural location of about one acre adjacent to the family farm. Chickens and ducks to feed if desired! A 20 minute walk from the ferry but the island is serviced by a bus, 1 shop and 3 pubs! The cottage is south facing and has a large deck sheltered from the west, with its own well for water that is solar heated.
Top Traveller Review
We can higly recommend this charming cottage!
About the Owner
About Kate MacLachlan
Living abroad, going back to the family home where I spent many childhood summers, is something I have enjoyed sharing with my family. The cottage has everything you could need for a relaxed holiday.
Why Kate MacLachlan chose Ireland
The cottage has been in the family since the early 60 s and my parents retired there in the 1980s. Having spent many family summers there, my own family has now been doing the same, with the overflow visitors in tents in the field!
What makes this cottage unique
Kids love the fact there is so little traffic on the Island and can roam quite freely. With 2 harbours to enjoy there is something for everyone, whether its kayaking, swimming or just watching the ferry come in with a cup of coffee at the harbour wall. The views from the lighthouse are stunning and worth the walk up the hill. The pace of life slows down on Cape and the Island seems to have its own time!
(2 traveller reviews)
We can higly recommend this charming cottage!
As a family of five with three children between 5 and 7, we really enjoyed our stay on Cap Clear and at the cottage. With wonderful easy walks nearby and the neighbour farm, all the family could enjoy the uniqueness of the place.
A fabulous property on beautiful Cape Clear island. If you want to get away from it all and enjoy some wonderful walks around the country lanes and tracks this is the place for you.
jWe stayed for 4 nights
From the Owner
“The cottage has been in the family since the early 60 s and my parents retired there in the 1980s. Having spent many family summers there, my own family has now been doing the same, with the overflow visitors in tents in the field!”
Activity and Interests
The island has 2 harbours. North harbour where the ferry docks, has a sandy beach and is adjacent to the restaurant, pubs and shop, and is a 20 minute walk from the house. The larger South Harbour is a 10 minute walk, with a pebble beach. Canoes can be rented here, and there are several excellent picnic spots.
Cork airport is the closest and car hire is recommended, although you can get the bus to Baltimore to catch the ferry ( from Cork, Parnell St. ) If driving allow 2/3 hours to give you plenty of time to do some shopping in Skibbereen, the local market town, before you catch the ferry. The main supermarket in Skibbereen does deliver to the island, the timetable depends on the time of year.
Cape clear is a walkable island, though hilly! The island does have Tarmac roads but there are several walking paths around the Island. If the weather is bad the bus is always available to book at 2€ a journey.
Bird walks, historical walks, canoe rental are all available. The shop/restaurant is at the harbour and very central to Cape life. The 2 local pubs also offer food and in the summer months "Try Thai" is available Wednesdays and Thursdays at Cotters. Supermarket orders really need to be done by 11 am and arrive on the ferry for collection around 3 pm. The shop does pizza every Friday and is very popular so booking is a must. The Cape way of life is very relaxed and friendly.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
9 Jan 2017 - 22 Dec 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
25 % of the rental fee to be on booking, full payment to be received 8 weeks before rental.
Changeover days are flexible and obviously arrival and departure times are governed by the ferry, but please call if you have any questions.
Notes on prices:
Long term rentals are available, please get in touch to discuss.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
From the Owner
“Kids love the fact there is so little traffic on the Island and can roam quite freely. With 2 harbours to enjoy there is something for everyone, whether its kayaking, swimming or just watching the ferry come in with a cup of coffee at the harbour wall. The views from the lighthouse are stunning and worth the walk up the hill. The pace of life slows down on Cape and the Island seems to have its own time!”
- Away From It All
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- wheelchair inaccessible
- near the sea
- bird watching
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 1 bathroom upstairs with wc, bath and shower, and 1 bathroom downstairs with shower and wc.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedrooms 1 and 2 with double beds, and bedroom 3 with twin beds.
- Terrace ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Max. occupancy: 6
- children welcome
- Notes on accommodation: The cottage has been completely renovated over the last 3 years and is a home away from home. The house is very old and the walls very thick, it is a little quirky, but a great location for families, writers, walkers and bird watchers. Outside: The garden is mainly fields and my sister in law does keep cows and ponies in them at times. She would be delighted to show you around and you can help feed the ducks and chickens. The neighbouring field does have a pond in it. The immediate garden is private though there is a walking path in the field above. We have just added a large deck which is great for catching those elusive rays!! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels and bed linen is provided. All can be changed over weekly. Beach towels not provided. Other: There is an outside bathroom attached to the deck, with wc, handbasin and solar heated shower.