House in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, France - Peaceful Location In Aubeterre With Short Walk To River Beach And Restaurants
This Unique gatehouse is located in the heart of beautiful Aubeterre with a short walk to the local river beach, village square and with a large choice of restaurants. The house offers a spacious stay with a large garden, surrounding balcony and eating terrace perfect for relaxing in the sun in privacy. It is furnished in typical French furniture and antiques that transform the space into a luxury experience. Situated a few minutes walk from the bustling village square and river beach where you can rent canoes, bikes and tennis courts. The village square has a great variety of restaurants and cafes, markets on sundays, live music in the summer and unqiue craft and clothes shops. The monolithic church is a must see and during the suer months holds concerts. Outside the village there are lots of other villages/ markets to visit and other activities like horse riding, golfing, climbing and walking.
About the Owner
I am an interior designer and love to style unique and characteristic interiors.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'Such an amazing retreat, the house is gorgeous and in such a prime location, we did lots of cycling, walking and hired canoes down at the river!'- Lucy Marriot
'Auberterre is stunning, the village offers activities to cater for all, house is perfect, and furnished beautifully!'. Holly Mclean
'What a holiday! One we will never forget- House is charming with lots of character and the village was a lot of fun to explore, we especially loved the weekly market, eating out at the variety of restaurants, having a drink in the shady village square and swimming in the river'. Paris Higgins.
From the Owner
“In the search to find a lovely place in France i came across Aubeterre which i feel is a really unique village. It is a quaint French village but still has enough going on to provide lots of entertainment. I love the traditional French Boulangerie, butchers and restaurants, all in the village square. It has a real atmosphere that cant be found anywhere else. My family have owned other houses in the village for 15 years now. I have throughly enjoyed doing up and furnishing this house in unique furniture collected in markets throughout”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Biking and walking holidays, art and cooking retreats.
Bordeaux and Bergerac airports are approximately an hour and a half away. Angouleme TGV train station 45mins. Calais shuttle or ferry crossing approx 500 miles. Deppie ferry crossing approx 375 miles.
Other nearby places of interest include Saint Amelion (world heritage site), Cognac, Bordeux and Angouleme which are all famous for their wines and liqueurs. Riberac and Chalais, also beautiful to visit and both approximately 10 miles have weekly French markets well worth a visit.
Auberterre has a wide variety of activities suitable for all tastes. The village has 8 local restaurants, where you can enjoy food or drinks in the old village square. It also has boulangerie, butchers, pharmacy, banking facilities and a small supermarket. The river beach is an 5 minute walk from the house, perfect location for swimming, sunbathing, canoeing, fishing, tennis and with a children's play area also there is a nine hole golf course is within a 10 minute drive.
Aubeterre has a great tourist office with more information and activities.
- Booking Notes:
A refundable deposit of £200 is required to hold your booking and is returned after stay providing there are no major damages.
Notes on prices:
A cheaper rent can be worked out if visitor supplies own linen and towels.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The location of the house is amazing! It is a five minute walk from the village square, where there is a variety of restaurants, boulangere, patisserie, butchers, pharmacy, small supermarket and other quaint shops. The river beach is only an eight minute walk away, here one can spend the day swimming, canoeing, playing tennis, and sunbathing, it also has a children's play area. There are some remarkable monuments to see in the village including the massive underground Monolithic church, and old ancient church just around the corner from the house.There are great French markets going on in other nearby villages, including one every sunday in Aubeterre. A must do is a visit to the magnificent Chateau's nearby, my personal favourite is.... where you can get a reasonable six course meal!”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Toilet 2 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite to Bed 1 has a large shower and sink, Ensuite to Bed 3 also has large shower and sink, main bathroom has loo, bath and double sink, separate toilet upstairs and downstairs.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bed 1 is downstairs with a large en-suite with shower, Bed 2 is upstairs with a double bed, Bed 3 is the very grand with king-size bed, open stonework, large fireplace and en-suite with large shower, Bed 3 is double, bed 4 is double.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: This house offers visitors a unique French experience, with its charming character, and French boutique furniture nested away in this idyllic French village. Outside: Large surrounding balconies which opens up fro the house perfect for sunbathing on the sun loungers and outside eating. Separate belvedere higher then the house with views of surrounding countryside catches the morning and evening sun with table and chair. Eating terrace backs out from the kitchen in a shaded spot with outside fan, perfect for BBQ and relaxing with a glass of wine and book away from the sun. Steps from the balcony lead down into the large garden perfect for ball games and sunbathing. Off the street parking and drive in garage with workshops and summer house, table tennis table in garage and bikes stored in workshops. Utility Room: Washing machine, dishwasher Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedlinen, bath and hand towels provided. A reduced rental price can be arranged if visitors take supply there own. Cleaning service before and after each stay but at an additional cost cleaning and linen changed can be arrange during your stay. Other: Wine cellar downstairs